• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel Proof feeders, your reviews and... (1 Viewer)

alan price said:
Forget standard bird feeders and try a more creative and more rewarding method-namely a freestanding custom made bird table.
The table is 4.5ft high made with a central fence post covered with a conventional plastic pipe.The top is made from 1 inch ply and measures 2ft sq.The base is constructed as a normal bird table ie diagonal supports fixed to 2ft sq ply.
You simply place onto the top dead wood or small logs etc with plenty of nuts seeds
or food of choice.

This post is screaming for an accompanying pic.

Thunderbolt, I can point out one model from the page you linked that definitely does not work:

Opus Top Flight Fortress Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
b60hzscz.jpg

Squirrels will just hang upside down and eat the seed that has collected and settled in the tray (at the bottom).

the absolute number one squirrel detterrent apart from a gun (sorry!) is to use the Advanced Pole System with a squirrel or raccoon baffle. As long as the baffle is attached at least 4.5 feet off the ground and the pole system is at least 8 feet away from any trees or structures you will never have squirrel problems. The basic system costs about $80. Friends of mine have had there system for 8 years and have never had squirrel probs.

A cheaper method (if you hang your feeders from a branch) is to thread the rope/wire you hang the feeder from thorugh a length of 4 foot pvc plumbing pipe. I have never had a squirrel on my hanging feeders using this method.

One thing about squirrels is it is all about food. That is all they do, gather up what they can. And this time of year of course they are eating alot to put on a good layer of fat and extra layer of short hair fur for the winter. You could try giving the squirrels their own feeders full of peanuts in the shell. but there again the cost of peanuts and a couple of feeders for them. And again that is no sure fire way to keep them out of your bird feeders, but it might distract them so you can enjoy your birds a bit more. I get a kick out of that "Yankee Flipper" feeder. Watching that Gray Squirrel trying to land on the perch and get flipped off is funny and seams to be effective in the video. But it's not cheap. Good luck.

I think there are 2 keys to being successful.

1. Take some time to investigate how the squirrels are reaching the feeder and then get a squirrel-proof feeder or baffle that blocks the squirrel in that situation. (Personally, I think baffles work best). For example, a friend of mine commented that the dome baffles didn't work for him; only the cylindrical baffles kept the squirrels off. When I replied that it depends on whether the squirrel was getting to the feeder from above (a dome baffle is needed) or below (which would require a cylindrical baffle), I was amazed at the blank look I got.

2. Provide the squirrel with an alternate food source (as was mentioned previously). If you make it hard for the squirrel to get the feeder seed, he'll probably keep trying unless he has an easier way to get food.

Here's a picture of a homemade baffle another friend used. She suspended her feeder from a wire and strung a few 2-liter bottles on the wire. When the squirrel tried to climb across the bottles, they rotated, dumping him to the ground. You need a few strung together or the squirrel will just jump over them.

Incidentally, I also have the Top Flight feeder pictured in a previous post. My squirrel takes the top off and throws it to the ground (my feeder was on an upstairs window).

Attachments

• bottles.jpg
    bottles.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 409
The thing with the Yankee Flipper is that it uses batteries. It normally comes with rechargeable batteries, but my understanding is that they don't work so well in cold weather, so I guess it depends on where you live.

Has anyone had any experience with the Roller Feeder? It has no batteries but its design rotates when a squirrel lands on it.
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000009947753

Personally, I've had great success with a pole and a baffle. I've tried both the lampshade baffles and the cylindar baffles. The squirrels try and try, but really don't seem to be able to get past them.

susb8383 said:
Personally, I've had great success with a pole and a baffle. I've tried both the lampshade baffles and the cylindar baffles. The squirrels try and try, but really don't seem to be able to get past them.

Agreed! I've had excellent results with my Wild Birds Unlimited pole feeder station. It has a stove pipe type baffle that has worked so well that the old squirrels have stopped trying to climb, but any new ones try it out then retreat back to ground level. I have had it up since January 06 and have had no attacks on the feeders. I'm sure any pole and baffle setup would work just as well. Now if I could only get rid of these cotton pickin' grackels and starlings, I would really be a happy camper. :C

That is one advantage of the Roller Feeder. I believe that you can set the sensitivity so that the heavier birds will also cause it to spin.

susb8383 said:
That is one advantage of the Roller Feeder. I believe that you can set the sensitivity so that the heavier birds will also cause it to spin.

Thanks Susie, looks like a winner! :t:

Lou G

Not only they keep squerril's away they also keep out Crows & Jackdaws out I had to get a cage for my fatball feeders as the poor tiny birds didn't get any because the big birds kept eating them all

Squirrel-proof feeder

See attached picture. Has worked beautifully for 20+ years. The only important thing is to keep it where it isn't close enough to any trees for them to jump from the branches.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    519 KB · Views: 197
I buy all of my feeders at the Christmas Tree Shop, which is a New England chain. (However, Bed Bath and Beyond recently bought them out, so you'll probably see them all over the US within the next 5-10 years.)

They are inexpensive and as effective as can be, considering squirrels are such cunning bastards. Your typical metal cage around the plastic tube is the best you can do. Also, at that price, ($3.99-$6.99) I can afford to trash the ones that get beat up by the end of the year. Also, I'm not about to spend big bucks on feeders that get stained and rusted rather quickly.

As I have posted in other threads, I have seen squirrels do amazing things. They certainly do try to hang upside down on the feeders and do their best to pilfer as much seed as possible from those little holes.

One more thought:

If you have a lot of trees and therefore can't get a pole with a baffle, I think my vote would be the Roller Feeder for a couple of reasons.

1. I'm not big on feeders that need batteries (like the Yankee Flipper). Batteries have to constantly be recharged, and they don't work well in the winter.

2. I wouldn't get the Absolute or variations of it. Check out this video of a chipmunk caught in one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfyfWWXCYZM
(he eventually got out unharmed).

3. The weight calibration can be adjusted to keep our larger birds, if you wish.

I have a blog which contains tips for squirrel-proofing your feeders:
http://squirrelproofbirdfeedertips.blogspot.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back