• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Lanka logistics (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hope this is ok to post as not strictly about birds.

I'll be in Sri Lanka for a few weeks this winter and wondered if anybody would be kind enough to comment on logisitics in relation to Sinharaja NP and Udawalawe NP. Looking at doing these in the following order; Haputale > Sinharaja NP (2 nights) > Udawalawe NP (3 nights).

Is this possible via public transport or would it be advisable to hire a driver for this leg of the journey? Would it be best to do Udawalawe first then head over to Sinharaja?

Any recommendations for an ethical operator for whale watching out of Mirissa would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'd hire a driver-guide from Baurs, it was pretty affordable when I did it.

I had a guy called Sunil De Alwis, whilst not being a pro bird guide, he had all the recordings, knew the sites and had superb eyes!

I was there during the last throes of the Tamil war and Uda Walawe was closed following the murder of some park rangers but we passed through on the way to Nuwara Elya

I did 27th Feb-1st Jan and got everything but the two night birds which I didn't try very hard for.

A

Last edited:
Cheers Andy, I appreciate that it's probably a decade since you were there, but would you happen to know how much you paid for the driver/guide (per day if possible). I'm a bit concerned about getting ripped off for what is ultimately two 3hr journeys, so an indication of price would be most helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back