• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Lanka - White Eye (1 Viewer)

MartinP

picture taken in the flower gardens at the base of Sigiriya Rock. Can anyone tell me if it is a Sri Lanka or Indian White Eye.
Thanks for looking.Sri Lanka White-eye.jpg

Indian White-eye Martin on account of bright yellow-green upperparts, bright yellow throat, black loral line and small bill. Sri-Lankan is altogether duller, green above with a duller yellow throat, lacks the loral line and the bill is longer.

Grahame

It looks quite bright (particularly on the throat and mantle), so I'd suggest Indian. I'm unsure of the status of Sri Lanka white-eye in Sigiriya district, from memory, it is more a species of upland areas.

edit - cross posted with Grahame, glad to see I've come to the same conclusion as him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back