• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings a nuisance? (1 Viewer)

DoveWatcher

My bird dog prefers fish
I love all birds but the starlings are starting to concern me. There are so many, and they're having babies constantly ... starlings everywhere. They must outnumber the other birds in my yard at least 30:1, maybe more.

There are some things I appreciate about starlings... they are spunky, I love how they fly in those huge flocks. But they're taking over. They eat most of my bird food, make a huge mess, and they just don't excite me the way other birds do. They've even taken over the bluebird nesting box I put up last summer.

What can I do, anything?

A bit different for you I guess, as they aren't native. I've between 30 and 100 in my small 20*20ft garden, and there's a few things I've learned that might help:

They like Fatballs, especially those made by squeezing seeds into Lard; they also like Mixed Seed Wholemeal Bread. Those in my garden spend their time at the Fatball Feeder or Bread Feeder, and the Bird bath of course. Oh, and they like Apples, especially Apples that are cut in half. The Seed Feeders and Nut Feeders are left alone, so the smaller Birds have them to themselves.

One slightly morbid advantage to having Starlings in the garden, is they soon attract Hawks (Sharp-shinned?). So they will give you close views of Hawk behaviour (How they hunt/attack/feed etc)

Also, Starlings being gregarious, they are worth studying to get an idea of bird behaviour. You'll learn quite a bit if you've the time and inclination.

Thank you :) I've seen hawks rarely in my yard (twice in 6 years). I'm sure they've been here more than that, but fair to say it's not often. So do hawks come after baby starlings, or the adults, or both? I wouldn't mind if they took a few of the neighbor's cats :)

I'll try the fatballs. I've noticed they do really like the suet I put out. So how do I make the fatballs? Just mix some bird seed with some lard? Is there some sort of ratio I should follow? Apples are easy too, I'll try a few of those.

Thank you again. I hope I don't come across too poorly. I'm just concerned they might crowd out the other birds that I enjoy more.

I think by offering more food for the starlings, you are just giving yourself a bumper crop of starlings to feed in the future...

Carlos

Roosting in hordes of up to a million, starlings can devour vast stores of seed and fruit, offsetting whatever benefit they confer by eating insects. In a single day, a cloud of omnivorous starlings can gobble up 20 tons of potatoes.

What, pray tell, is a bird lover to do ??

Thank you :) I've seen hawks rarely in my yard (twice in 6 years). I'm sure they've been here more than that, but fair to say it's not often. So do hawks come after baby starlings, or the adults, or both? I wouldn't mind if they took a few of the neighbor's cats :)

I'll try the fatballs. I've noticed they do really like the suet I put out. So how do I make the fatballs? Just mix some bird seed with some lard? Is there some sort of ratio I should follow? Apples are easy too, I'll try a few of those.

Thank you again. I hope I don't come across too poorly. I'm just concerned they might crowd out the other birds that I enjoy more.

The Hawks take both young and adult birds. The youngsters, not being fully-feathered, are particularly vulnerable when wet, as they can't fly until dry enough. So a few are taken just after a bath; they are also more vulnerable to Cats at this time. I see many attacks, failed and successful, regularly.

I just mix as many seeds into the Lard as I can, too many seeds will stop the mixture from holding together. I don't melt the Lard first, just squeeze the seeds into it.

IME, putting separate food out for the Starlings doesn't give you a "bumper crop of Starlings to feed in the future". Nature has a way of balancing things (in my garden at least), and the numbers are kept stable by predation and illness etc.

To me, Birds are Birds, no matter how they got to my garden. Same applies to Mammals; I also feed the Grey Squirrels (non-native). If Ring-necked Parakeets (non-native) ever visit my garden, I'll feed those too. However, I do all that I can to ensure that all of the birds in my garden get food. It takes time, and often a bit of ingenuity, but I think it's worth the effort. However, if after trying everything, one species is taking all of the food you provide, I guess you have to stop feeding the birds.

Enjoy feeding the Birds, enjoy watching their behaviour, feel good about it. If you don't enjoy it, stop doing it|=)|

what sort of bird feeders do you have?

The simplest option might be switching to a type of feeder that starlings can't feed from. IIRC a lot of the hanging cylinder type feeders are starling proof. I have a basement apartment so of course my knowledge of bird feeding is limited, but you might want to consider an option such as this.

Personally I loath introduced starlings with every fiber of my being. At least House Sparrows stick to human habitations, but I have seen starlings in remote desert oases and mountain coniferous forests.

what sort of bird feeders do you have?

I use a variety of feeders to attract different types of birds. I find that the tube feeder I use doesn't appeal to starlings at all but only the finches will use it. Other feeders less discriminating ... works for the kinds I like to have but also for the starlings. Same with the bird seed...only the tube feeder and the nyger thistle is safe from the starlings. Starlings even like the cage feeders that I use for the woodpeckers.

If I could just be happy with finches, all would be well.

I don't get many starlings at my feeders. I use only oil sunflower, peanuts (whole and shelled) and niger seed for the finches. One way to attract starlings is to have a large lot of neatly mowed grass. The starlings like the larvae of the japanese beetle which love the grassy lawns that is why golf courses have so much trouble with skunks tearing up the fairways looking for the grubs or larvae. Leave as much lawn grow into tall grass or wildflowers, a tough thing to do in a residential development, some ordances don't allow it. I let my upper one acre field grow up and it is working out great. Only put suet out in the winter, the starlings love the suet. One last thing is to put up a kestrel box. Starlings are slow flyers and easy picking.

I love starlings and have special feeders just for them. They are fascinating, intelligent and comical birds. You are not going to win the battle. They didn't evolve for the last 20 million years to be defeated by relative recent humans. However, that being said if you want to discourage them, you need to know what they like, and do the opposite. I'm doing a documentary on them so I've studied their biology quite a bit.

1) They are omnivores, however, they really don't prefer seeds to insects or food high in protein. I put dry dogfood and catfood in my table feeders to attract them. Don't do that.
2) They prefer rather large nest boxes with a perch and a fair sized hole (around 2"). Don't do that of course.
3) If you water your lawn religiously I suggest you stop. Starlings use a maneuver called "prying" to find food. This is where they push their beak in the ground then open their beak to find food. Wet ground just facilitates this. Dry ground is a problem for starlings.
4) Starlings LOVE to take baths. Unfortunately, a large bird bath is a huge attractant to starlings.
5) Night and day roosts are very important to starlings. They are very social and protected roosting areas are an attractant (barns, trees, open eves, etc).

You aren't going to kill or otherwise scare them off. If you have the attractants (food they want, water for baths and nesting and roosting space, they will come.) Kill and scare tactics have failed miserably in the past numerous times (I know -- I've done my research). The biggest problem (not to them of course!) is they like the same things we do and are social like we are.

Hope some of this helps.

. . . You aren't going to kill or otherwise scare them off. If you have the attractants (food they want, water for baths and nesting and roosting space, they will come.) Kill and scare tactics have failed miserably in the past numerous times (I know -- I've done my research). The biggest problem (not to them of course!) is they like the same things we do and are social like we are.

I agree. Starlings (& House Sparrows & Rock Pigeons) are adapted to us. If we were ever to abandon the continent, or revert to a hunting-&-gathering way-of-life, maybe they’d fade away (though I doubt it) but otherwise they’re here to stay.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone.

I've decided to accept my starlings, in all their glory. Currently on our 2nd round of babies in the bluebird nest box. I tried changing the food up a bit to something they didn't like and really all that seemed to accomplish was to bring about an immediate influx of blackbirds and grackles LOL

I relent. I'll just continue to do what I always do (with food, houses, baths) ... come what may. All are welcome :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back