• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

starlings (1 Viewer)

sarah33

I'm staying near blackpool for a few days and wondered if there are any big starling roosts near the piers?

It's a dream of mine to see a big roost and I've heard piers are sometimes good places to see them.

Thanks.

I'm staying near blackpool for a few days and wondered if there are any big starling roosts near the piers?

It's a dream of mine to see a big roost and I've heard piers are sometimes good places to see them.

Thanks.

I remember last year going to Marton Mere and when i left to go home on the train i saw quite a large flock of starlings between the buildings on the beach so could have a chance , i am sure someone will have a better idea if it is still a good spot but plenty of good birding around that area anyway

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

Sarah

I was at North Pier in Blackpool a few days ago & the Starling roost was spectacular, I've attached a couple of the dozens of photos I got below.

The north pier Starlings can be seen most evenings at dusk, the extent of their display varies depending on what predators are about but also on if the tide is in or not - if the tide is out the starlings will often settle on the beach meaning less flying about & displaying.

I hope this helps & good luck :t:

Cliff
Blackpool

Attachments

• starlings_160112bb.jpg
    starlings_160112bb.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 70
  • starlings_160112aa.jpg
    starlings_160112aa.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the replies. I'm back home in yorkshire but thanks to you I've finally seen a proper starling roost after years of being in the wrong place.

Awesome.

I spend a fair amount of time at the station on Talbot road and I see thousands of them every morning flying over, heading towards the moss at poulton.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back