• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner Commander 7x50 (New) (2 Viewers)

Isn't depth of field supposed to be dictated by magnification alone? Or at least that's what all the experts say?
Not 100% sure, but I think they are built with a very limited short focus ability, but this allows a large focal range...

Waits to be shot at dawn by the gurus.......๐Ÿ˜•

The specs for the FOV of new model are: 459 ft @ 1,000 yds. Better than 438 ft @ 1,000 yds (the old one).

The new model "field of view of 140m / 1000m."

The old model 1700081545349.png

The specs for the FOV of new model are: 459 ft @ 1,000 yds. Better than 438 ft @ 1,000 yds (the old one).

The new model "field of view of 140m / 1000m."

The old model View attachment 1543474
The โ€žoldestโ€œ model had 7.4 degrees RFOV, the one after that had 8.3, and the newest one from 2023 now apparently 8.0. Thatโ€™s why โ€žslightly downgradedโ€œ :)

Apparently their tech support is misinformed. From their website:

"[question from 7 months ago] Hi Does the new commander 7x50, have the same optical qualities and spec as the commander global model. thanks f"

and reply:

"Steiner Tech Support ยท 7 months ago
Thanks for asking! They will have the same quality and specs aside from the compass being zone specific."

I have a very nice Nikon Marine 7x50, which has a very relaxing view.

It was available in three versions depending on the magnetic dip.

The areas covered on the Earth were not symmetrical and very odd shapes.

Recently the magnetic dip was zero at least in England, but changes with time.

There was a programme on T.V. last night that claimed the Titanic was affected by a geomagnetic storm that affected all nearby ships.

Both compasses and radio connections.

It claims that the 700 saved were because both Titanic and Carpathia? had the same error and had there been no error the life boats would not have been found.

Far vessels could communicate by radio but not near vessels.

I presume navies have zone specific binoculars, as GPS may not always work.

But clearly compasses also don't always work.

GPS can be switched off at any time.

New pilots are again being taught stellar navigation.

Regards,
B.

Yes, but who knows, there may have been other icebergs.

The key to the binocular cabinet was not available either.
So had the binocular/s been available the iceberg might have been spotted.

Apparently the Queen Mary in WW2 made numerous trips in the north Atlantic, but must have had many on constant watch and possibly radar. It was painted grey. It relied on its speed of 29 knots.
There were very close calls with submarines, and once a 100ft freak wave that was hit head on.

I was on a Danish ship from England to Denmark or Norway, which was in a force 11 storm.
I was sick numerous times and the crew just drank themselves stupid.
A young waitress kept giving me akvavit, which I tossed in the large plant pot when she wasn't looking.
Every bit of furniture and crockery was smashed.
The ship took about 37 hours instead of 24 hours about. I cannot remember exactly.
The ship was scrapped after this trip.
The captain should never have sailed.
I swore I would never go on a ship again, but I did a few years later.

Compasses and navigation are serious business.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
I think DFDS Parkeston Harwich to Esbjerg 1964. About 2,500 tonnes. Built 1920s.
Apparently then used as an accommodation vessel in Oslo before final scrapping in 1975.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back