• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner Hunting 10x50 (3 Viewers)

Good afternoon.
I use binoculars Steiner Hunting 10x50
I can’t find when these binoculars were produced and what are their characteristics?
Line of sight?
Light transmission?
What is its cost?
Thank you.

Good afternoon.
I use binoculars Steiner Hunting 10x50
I can’t find when these binoculars were produced and what are their characteristics?
Line of sight?
Light transmission?
What is its cost?
Thank you.
May i suggest that you post a picture of your Steiner 10x50?

The better Steiners are high-quality binos. However, as one who sees these things in the operating room all the time, Probably the magic magnification for me is 10x as then I can use it in the most circumstances. I shall have to try out the different Nighthawk models, but Arek, as you mentioned, the x50 objective seems like the best way to go.

Лучшие бинокли Steiner — это высококачественные бинокли. Однако, как человек, который постоянно видит эти вещи в операционной, вероятно, волшебное увеличение для меня будет 10-кратным, так как тогда я смогу использовать его в большинстве случаев. Мне придется опробовать разные модели Nighthawk, но Арек, как вы упомянули, объектив x50 кажется лучшим вариантом.
Спасибо!

The better Steiners are high-quality binos. However, as one who sees these things in the operating room all the time, Probably the magic magnification for me is 10x as then I can use it in the most circumstances. I shall have to try out the different Nighthawk models, but Arek, as you mentioned, the x50 objective seems like the best way to go.
I agree on the high quality comment here... my 8x30 Military issue Steiners were bloody awesome.... but I didn't really like the reticle...
Optically they were better than my Leica BN's

If you’re in the USA, I’d call Steiner/Burris. I own three pairs of Steiner AF binoculars, and they’ve been pretty helpful when I’ve called.

If you’re in the USA, I’d call Steiner/Burris. I own three pairs of Steiner AF binoculars, and they’ve been pretty helpful when I’ve called.

Steiner was started in Germany, although most have been manufactured in Asia over the last few year. If your "AF" stands for "auto—focus." Well, I have been fighting that piece of idiotic ADVERTISING since 1976. You may tell anyone I said so ... I need the money.

Good advertising need not be accurate or even meaningful. It need only be believed.

Bill Cook, Chief Opticalman, US Navy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.06.28 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.06.28 PM copy.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.06.51 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.06.51 PM copy.png
    359.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.07.15 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 7.07.15 PM copy.png
    442.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Steiner was started in Germany. Most have been manufactured in Asia over the last few year. If your "AF" stands for "auto—focus." Well, I have been fighting that piece of idiotic ADVERTISING since 1976. You may tell anyone I said so ... I need the money.

Bill Cook, Chief Opticalman, US Navy
I don’t disagree with you, but that’s what Steiner calls them and that’s how to distinguish them from their roof prism binoculars. I guess they could be referred to as porro prisms. I have noticed that it doesn’t say on box where they’re made anymore.

I don’t disagree with you, but that’s what Steiner calls them and that’s how to distinguish them from their roof prism binoculars. I guess they could be referred to as porro prisms. I have noticed that it doesn’t say on box where they’re made anymore.
Following Hitler's thoughts of 1933: The biggest lie, and so often repeated, will be believed by the masses.

Cheers,

Bill

Following Hitler's thoughts of 1933: The biggest lie, and so often repeated, will be believed by the masses.

Cheers,

Bill
Tell a lie often enough and some people believe it as the truth unfortunately. The Steiners have served me well, but I’m just discovering the improved view of roof prisms. I recently bought a pair Opticron Oregon 8x42’s that have a better view than the Steiners. Cheers!

Tell a lie often enough and some people believe it as the truth unfortunately. The Steiners have served me well, but I’m just discovering the improved view of roof prisms. I recently bought a pair Opticron Oregon 8x42’s that have a better view than the Steiners. Cheers!
Is it the prisms or something else? Some people will easily spent $3,000+ to "UPGRADE" their binoculars when, in fact, most will never actually REALIZE a difference. When I bought my Nikon 8x32 Superior E, I had 5 or 6 cases on my sales floor—with several models of Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski and other great names to choose from. For me, it was just a very good binocular at a very good price. About 10 years ago, the armchair opticians on BirdForum—who needed something to talk about—dubbed it an (drum roll, please) ... "ALPHA." Bully for me!

Having been in optics so long, and not needing an ego stroke, it is in my closet waiting to be given to my daughter. I am using a Bushnell 8x40. While it did not come with "bragging rights," (of course, none were needed) it provides excellent imagery and cost me about $35 ... used. But then, it seems some people base their self-worth on how much money they can waste on upgrades, that will allow them no quantifiable improvement. But then, that is what keeps these binocular forums going—isn't it?

Attachments

• IMGP0985 copy.JPG
    IMGP0985 copy.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
Is it the prisms or something else? Some people will easily spent $3,000+ to "UPGRADE" their binoculars when, in fact, most will never actually REALIZE a difference. When I bought my Nikon 8x32 Superior E, I had 5 or 6 cases on my sales floor—with several models of Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski and other great names to choose from. For me, it was just a very good binocular at a very good price. About 10 years ago, the armchair opticians on BirdForum—who needed something to talk about—dubbed it an ... "ALPHA." Bully for me!

Having been in optics so long, and not needing an ego stroke, it is in my closet waiting to be given to my daughter. I am using a Bushnell 8x40. While it did not come with "bragging rights," (of course,none were needed) it provides excellent imagery and cost me about $35 ... used. But then, it seems some people base their self-worth on how much money they can waste on upgrades, that will allow them no factual improvement. But then, that is what keeps these binocular forums going.
That was quite a selection of high-end binoculars. I’m very happy with these Opticron Oregons and find them a bargain for under $200. I was willing to spend much more for a quality pair binoculars but now it doesn’t seem worth it. Your comments are appreciated. Have a great afternoon. Cheers!

That was quite a selection of high-end binoculars. I’m very happy with these Opticron Oregons and find them a bargain for under $200. I was willing to spend much more for a quality pair binoculars but now it doesn’t seem worth it. Your comments are appreciated. Have a great afternoon. Cheers!
You do the same my friend. But ... remember:

"The most hated man is the on who tells the truth." — Plato

The quote "The most hated man is the one who tells the truth" is often attributed to Plato, but there's no evidence that he actually said or wrote it. But the sentence remains true even if it were in fact a Paul Jones or Jim Smith who said it.
:)

Is it the prisms or something else? Some people will easily spent $3,000+ to "UPGRADE" their binoculars when, in fact, most will never actually REALIZE a difference. When I bought my Nikon 8x32 Superior E, I had 5 or 6 cases on my sales floor—with several models of Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski and other great names to choose from. For me, it was just a very good binocular at a very good price. About 10 years ago, the armchair opticians on BirdForum—who needed something to talk about—dubbed it an (drum roll, please) ... "ALPHA." Bully for me!

Having been in optics so long, and not needing an ego stroke, it is in my closet waiting to be given to my daughter. I am using a Bushnell 8x40. While it did not come with "bragging rights," (of course, none were needed) it provides excellent imagery and cost me about $35 ... used. But then, it seems some people base their self-worth on how much money they can waste on upgrades, that will allow them no quantifiable improvement. But then, that is what keeps these binocular forums going—isn't it?
It is very easy for knowledgeable people such as yourself to come across as quite rude.

I have changed from a superb Conquest and a lovely BN to a nice second hand HT.... which is better in every way.
I don't remember needing my ego stroked at any point in this transaction. But being just an 'armchair optician' it comes as some surprise I was clearly able to see the better view.

And my self worth, as far as i'm aware, hasn't changed by looking down two optical tubes!
But thanks for the concern!!

It is very easy for knowledgeable people such as yourself to come across as quite rude.

I have changed from a superb Conquest and a lovely BN to a nice second hand HT.... which is better in every way.
I don't remember needing my ego stroked at any point in this transaction. But being just an 'armchair optician' it comes as some surprise I was clearly able to see the better view.

And my self worth, as far as i'm aware, hasn't changed by looking down two optical tubes!
But thanks for the concern!!
Oh, my friend, I KNOW I am often taken as being rude. I do regret that. But I know the truth is far more important than me ... so:

“If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack.”— Winston Churchill

I have been on these forums long enough to know that's what it takes to get the attention of some folks. Thus ... If you were here, I'd take you out for pizza. Then You could see I'm not really a demon. I sometimes see members who have been on the forum for only hours making statement that have no validity in optics. I know we all start as newbies. I just want these people to spend a little time learning before they spend time trying to teach. If not so, the NEW newbies would get misled. My demeanor is strictly for the purpose of helping. What people think of me personally is of no consequence.

“When I first came to this forum [Cloudy Nights], I thought you were the biggest jerk in the world. Since then, I have used several binoculars and spent a lot of time on the forum. I see you have been right about things straight down the line. You have taught me a lot and I thank you.” — mttafire

Thank you, bless you, and have a great day!

Last edited:
Это призмы или что-то еще? Некоторые люди с легкостью потратят более 3000 долларов на «ОБНОВЛЕНИЕ» своего бинокля, хотя на самом деле большинство из них никогда не ОСОЗНАЮТ разницы. Когда я купил свой Nikon 8x32 Superior E, у меня в торговом зале было 5 или 6 футляров — с несколькими моделями Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski и других выдающихся марок на выбор. Для меня это был просто очень хороший бинокль по очень хорошей цене. Около 10 лет назад диванные оптики на BirdForum, которым нужно было о чем поговорить, окрестили это (барабанная дробь, пожалуйста)… «АЛЬФА». Хулиган для меня!

Поскольку я так долго занимался оптикой и не нуждался в утешении своего эго, он находится в моем шкафу и ждет, чтобы его отдали моей дочери. Я использую Бушнелл 8х40. Хотя у него не было «прав для хвастовства» (конечно, в этом не было необходимости), он обеспечивает превосходное изображение и обошелся мне примерно в 35 долларов… в использовании. Но с другой стороны, кажется, что некоторые люди основывают свою самооценку на том, сколько денег они могут потратить на обновления, которые не принесут им никакого количественного улучшения. Но ведь именно это поддерживает существование этих бинокулярных форумов, не так ли?
Абсолютно согласна с тобой. Сегодняшние новые бинокли завышены, маркетологи хорошо делают свою работу...
Иногда, чтобы получить изображение на 5% лучше, нужно переплатить на 50%-100%...

Чтобы добиться улучшения имиджа на 5%, производителю иногда приходится делать большие инвестиции. К сожалению, таковы физические законы оптики.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back