• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stinky Swarovs (1 Viewer)

Buff1ehead

My new EL 8x32 SV have been out of the box for two days now and still have a strong odor that smells like Deet insect repellent.

Is this normal for Swarovski bins? I've purchased three brand-new Zeiss bins in the past without ever having this problem.

The good news: no recent bug bites. Should I just give the new bins a bath?

Please advise.

While I might not describe it as smelling like insect repellant, I find that *all* new binos have an odor that is easily noticeable to me. Volatile compounds I have a feeling. At any rate - I just put the lens covers on and let them stand un-cased for a week or two, and then I find that I don't smell them unless I put my nose right up to the bino......

What! No. My sand brown SV 8x32 field pro purchased this May has no smell at all. A little disappointing after you get a whiff of the the nice smelling Leica UVHD. Where did you buy yours from?

You guys may not have smelled a recently produced Meopta MeoStar, or a freshly unpacked Fujinon FMT or Nikon Astruluxe. The smell in my cupboard is now finally getting a bit weaker, but since several months whenever I open the cupboard doors a strong odor (smells like some volatile solvents not really good for your health??) leaps out to meet me.

You guys may not have smelled a recently produced Meopta MeoStar, or a freshly unpacked Fujinon FMT or Nikon Astruluxe. The smell in my cupboard is now finally getting a bit weaker, but since several months whenever I open the cupboard doors a strong odor (smells like some volatile solvents not really good for your health??) leaps out to meet me.

As someone who used to work in the rubber industry I find the smell of some new bins like a rush of nostalgia.

Most rubbers do not get on at all well with solvents (it dissolves) and volatile ones are gone in minutes.

What you can smell is wholesome rubber and this diminishes with time: enjoy it while you can.

Lee

Last year I bought a pair of B&L Discoverer 7x42 NIB. It was probably sitting in that box for 10 years and never taken out. Stinky is too polite a word to describe the odor. I wiped it down with a damp cloth and left it in the attic for a week. Definitely kept the raccoons away. I'm guessing new bins sitting in box long after it was manufactured could smell.

Foton bought new 15 years ago still smells terrible despite being out of the case in a largish cupboard.

I am not sure if it repels or attracts moths.

If it repels threatened malaria mosquitoes then it is very useful.

My Wanderess suggests puting some bicarbobate of soda in a muslin pouch, or whatever - I guess a folded up handkerchief would do, and enclosing that within the box for a week or so.

Being ignorant about optics and binoculars in particular, caveat emptor, in case they are incompatible.

Kauffman

What! No. My sand brown SV 8x32 field pro purchased this May has no smell at all. A little disappointing after you get a whiff of the the nice smelling Leica UVHD. Where did you buy yours from?

Mine are the sand brown as well, but not the field pro version. I got them through an outfit up in Montana, Kauffman Knives and Optics.

New in an Old Box?

Last year I bought a pair of B&L Discoverer 7x42 NIB. It was probably sitting in that box for 10 years and never taken out. Stinky is too polite a word to describe the odor. I wiped it down with a damp cloth and left it in the attic for a week. Definitely kept the raccoons away. I'm guessing new bins sitting in box long after it was manufactured could smell.

I was worried about that as well, but checked the serial number and, according to the rule of 1930, these bins were manufactured in 2015.

Funny, I've purchased three pairs of Zeiss bins (Victory FL) over the years and I've never smelled the rubber on them.

Mine are the sand brown as well, but not the field pro version. I got them through an outfit up in Montana, Kauffman Knives and Optics.

I bought a different pair of bins from Kauffman Knives some time back. I even asked Shane to take the bins out and check to see if they are good before shipping and he obliged. How do you like the SV 8x32 compared to other bins you have used? A short(or long) review will be nice to read.

I've never found a smelly Swarovski. The worst new binocular smell I have had
is with the Zeiss Terra, which was common when they first came out.

Jerry

A short review, per your request

I bought a different pair of bins from Kauffman Knives some time back. I even asked Shane to take the bins out and check to see if they are good before shipping and he obliged. How do you like the SV 8x32 compared to other bins you have used? A short(or long) review will be nice to read.

I am a professor of environmental studies, and use binoculars extensively in my field work, which centers around natural history investigations. I often will be using my optics all day, every day for weeks at a time, and need reliable equipment that stands up to abuse and has a low fatigue factor. Depending on the project, I will select from three scopes and four binoculars, including the new EL 8x32 SV bins.

Years ago it would not have occurred to me to use 8x32s, and my primary working bins were Zeiss Design Select 8x56 Nighthawks, which I still use in crepuscular situations. But I've gotten old and they've gotten heavy, so about ten years ago I switched to Zeiss Victory FL 7x42s, which are super bright and have an amazing FOV and weigh about a third what the Nighthawks weigh. But they fogged on my once in Baja when I spent the month of August in the desert, and now they need to be sent back for the second time due to interior dust. They have not been treated kindly. So I bought the 8x32s to tide me over until the 7x42s are returned.

Other than for the odor, I'm enjoying the Swaros, They are less immersive than the Zeiss, are slightly less bright and have a smaller FOV, but I'm falling in love with them anyway. Zwarovski seems to have solved the "rolling ball" problem with these field glasses, which is important to someone like me who spends a great deal of time panning. Most of the time I'm using my bins to find a critter, and then switching to the scope to investigate more closely. The rolling ball was not an option when you're doing that six to eight hours at a time.

The big question is why I didn't purchase the Zeiss Victory 8x32 FLs rather than the Swaros. Answer: I'm old, I now wear glasses full time, and the Swaros have 20mm of eye relief. Even though the Zeiss 8x32s were lighter, that kind of eye relief is to die for. End of debate.

I've spent the past few days monitoring hawk migrations with a crew of highly trained birders, and I'm delighting in the fact that although I'm wearing the smallest pair of bins in the group I'm still finding some of the "best" birds. While I will continue to use the Zeiss 7x42s in many situations once they're returned, especially when teaching and when working in arboreal environments, I'll definitely keep the Swaros, and will probably use them whenever I'm hiking, especially if I'm lugging a scope or a camera.

I purchased the sand-color bins, which I greatly prefer to the green of my wife's Swaros or the black of my Zeiss bins. When you work in a desert ecology, light colors are good. Nothing worse than hot bins! I've ofte wondered whether my Zeiss bins would have not fogged had they not been black. From now on, if I head to the desert during the summer months, I'll take the Swaros.

So I bought the 8x32s to tide me over until the 7x42s are returned...Other than for the odor, I'm enjoying the Swaros, They are less immersive than the Zeiss, are slightly less bright and have a smaller FOV, but I'm falling in love with them anyway...From now on, if I head to the desert during the summer months, I'll take the Swaros.

BEH,

Bought my Gen2 8x32 SV's (in green) end of last year. I'm sensitive to odors, but found the "new" smell dissipated after just a few hours of use and haven't noticed any odor this year...hopefully yours will be similar.

I too have the FL 7x42's (recent purchase) and agree with your comparison. But the small EL's light weight, compact size and superb optics makes them great for long excursions. I also think you will love them for those long hours in the field. My brief experience with both together points to better resolution and detail with the 8x32 SV (due to the extra power), yet it's hard to beat that 6mm of ER and immersive picture-window view of the FL 7x42. For me, I still need a lot more time in the field with both to weight in their pros and cons.

I have a daughter ready to start her PhD Dissertation in Psychology...a lot of work, but worth it. Good Luck with yours!

Ted

Last edited:
Veiling

Good write-up Buff1ehead. Does your new SV show more glare when compared to the FL 7x42?
Yes. The SV is more prone to veiling than the FL, which is the opposite of what I'd expect given the wider FOV on the 7x42s. But I would not call it a problem on the Swaros.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back