• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stint from South Africa (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

Hi all.

Can anyone familiar with both Red-necked and Little Stint comment on this?

I see some lateral expansion of the bill tip which is good for Red-necked Stint and also the tibia look quite short. Of course Red-necked Stint is amazinly rare in Southern Africa but we do get them.

Cheers,
Doug

Attachments

• Stint.jpg
    Stint.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 225
So why does this look good for Red-necked Stint?
1) Short Tibia
2) Streaking on side of chest (lower down the breast band). This is apparently a breeding plumage feature and there are remnants of breeding plumage present on this bird
3) Cheeks plain chestnut lacking streaks (cheeks are streaked in breeding Little Stint)
4) Chestnut seems to extend onto throat (throat is white in Little Stint)

Like I say I am no expert on Red-necked at all but this bird is interesting.

No takers?

My feeling is this is potentially a Red-necked Stint. My reasoning for this is several fold as this bird is still in partial breeding plumage.
1) There is clearly a paler reddish nape collar which is only seen in red-necked.
2) The reddish tones seem to extend onto the throat. The throat remains white in Little Stint
3) Quoting the shorebirds bible... The streaks on the necklace do not extend below the chestnut on Little Stint. On Red-necked, the brown spotting extends well below the chestnut on breast onto the upper flanks. In this pic there are clearly upper flank streaks well below the chestnut.
4) Quoting "Guide to identification and ageing of Holarctic waders" they also quote the extension of the chest streaks onto the upper flanks on Red-necked as a feature to separate from Little.
5) The cheeks seem plain chestnut unstreaked, This is more a feature of Red-necked than Little Stint.
6) Mantle lines are weaker than Little Stint. That seems to be the case here.

The rufous fringes to the tertials make me think that this might be a Little Stint.

What time of year was this picture taken?

Are there any other images Doug, even blurred ones?
Very difficult judging such potentially tricky Id on a single image

The streaking below the eye and above the breast streaking bothers me and I think it could be a Little Stint with a stained throat.

Hi all.

Can anyone familiar with both Red-necked and Little Stint comment on this?

I see some lateral expansion of the bill tip which is good for Red-necked Stint and also the tibia look quite short. Of course Red-necked Stint is amazinly rare in Southern Africa but we do get them.

Cheers,
Doug

The bird appears dumpy in shape which suits Little Stint, Red-necked Stint being more elongated.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back