• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stock dove? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Seen yesterday in my garden in Bromley, London, UK. Can anyone confirm it as a stock dove?

Attachments

• C4BFEBF8-26DE-410B-A8DA-F841FE62FAE8.jpeg
    C4BFEBF8-26DE-410B-A8DA-F841FE62FAE8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • 7C58E720-6E62-493E-85E2-19018BE322A8.jpeg
    7C58E720-6E62-493E-85E2-19018BE322A8.jpeg
    973.8 KB · Views: 83
Hello Ev,

I agree with you and Leonardo, its a Stock Dove.
Yes, its often a strange sight with a strange/uncomfortable feeling to see a "wild bird that you dont see often in gardens" in a garden (and then often/sometimes tame), but once you are aware of this, its easier to trust your experience.

Your bird seems a good example for this. Tfs!

Edit: this is dependent on the regular species in your garden. Imagine, you have Stock Doves as regular visitors in your garden?
Therefore I assume, that they are rare there. Right?

Hello Ev,

I agree with you and Leonardo, its a Stock Dove.
Yes, its often a strange sight with a strange/uncomfortable feeling to see a "wild bird that you dont see often in gardens" in a garden (and then often/sometimes tame), but once you are aware of this, its easier to trust your experience.

Your bird seems a good example for this. Tfs!

Edit: this is dependent on the regular species in your garden. Imagine, you have Stock Doves as regular visitors in your garden?
Therefore I assume, that they are rare there. Right?
They have only started coming in the past week, presumably picking up ants or fallen husks which the goldfinches drop. Initially I was thinking that they (2 come regularly now) we’re juvenile wood pigeons, but the green on the neck was too off to be one.

Note the short narrow black wing-bar. That's an exclusively stock dove feature. Presumably they're nesting close by (tree-holes and cavities in buildings, etc), so you should hear the distinctive 2-note song as well.
I haven’t heard them yet, but there is some very nice nesting trees near me so you never know…

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back