• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat (UK) (2 Viewers)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Is this a juvenile Stonechat or an adult please,

Attachments

• AI 700 stoney coast1.jpg
    AI 700 stoney coast1.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 40
Could you give the date and closer location, please? Thanks.

Not really sure what that would mean: a 2-year-old male would presumably be as adult - so it must mean a 1-year-old. Personally, I'd've guessed a worn (ie not yet started post-breeding moult, if the photo's recent) adult female - but this..
.. should sort it out 👍🏻

Not really sure what that would mean: a 2-year-old male would presumably be as adult - so it must mean a 1-year-old. Personally, I'd've guessed a worn (ie not yet started post-breeding moult, if the photo's recent) adult female - but this..
.. should sort it out 👍🏻
Hi Butty, interested in the link but doesn't seem to work?

.. should sort it out 👍🏻
It means what it says, a male bird not in “full” adult plumage.

Hi Butty, interested in the link but doesn't seem to work?

Hello Matt,

the file should download directly on your computer (if this action isnt blocked by some software, which is regular advisable).

Anyway, you can also download it from the original site at Species Files – Guia Blasco Zumeta de Aves which contains a wealth of excellent ID sites about other species a reference addition to any field guide

Hello Roy,

do you have more pictures? At least I need for confident ageing pictures of the wing(-coverts) and experienced BF members you know.

More pictures could also help to be sure about the extent of any blackish feathers in the throat area.

I think the appearant blackish lower throat is at least partly the result of ruffled feathers, reaveling darkish skin and shadows enhanced by sharpening and very good picture quality.

Please note, that females can have dark in the throat too. Yes, its a worn summer female, but please compare (Prenzlau, NE-Germany, 16.06.2016)

all: Schwarzkehlchen 16.6.16

And I wouldnt place much confidence in appearant dark and rusty underparts and dark, cold wooden brown hues on the upperparts. I have seen similar females, not pale, and buffish/creamy females in appearant breeding pairs before.

(assuming, the picture was taken recently: quite a few early autumn/winter male Stonechats have a more male like head than this bird. But as said, this shouldnt be understood as a confident comment about this bird here)

Edit: once more: wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil: reading the comments again, I reailzed, that Butty had already said it could well be a female. Sorry and thanks Butty.

And please dont let this thread drift away from this interesting bird and the question about confident ageing and sexing.

Interestingly! Eastern 1st.w.female birds can show a “hint of an eyebrow” which clearly this does.(or does the “head on” shot exaggerate this feature?)
Presume Spring females will show a darker head thus this bird is more likely to be a female in my now “reconsidered” opinion.😮

FWIW, here’s a shot taken locally a few days ago, again with more than a “hint” of an eyebrow.
Although sporting an S.rubicola rump with orange “wash to the flanks”, does make me wonder if the current “guide” illustrations are a little lacking to the extent of their plumage overlap, regarding supercillium, rumps also the existence of a warm wash to the flanks.😮

Attachments

• DSC04454.jpeg    S.rub.3..jpeg
    DSC04454.jpeg S.rub.3..jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC04462.jpeg      S.rub.2.jpeg
    DSC04462.jpeg S.rub.2.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC04479.jpeg     S.rub.1..jpeg
    DSC04479.jpeg S.rub.1..jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back