• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

strange american redstart (1 Viewer)

EcoMatt

Hi all, I saw a strange looking female redstart today. It showed all the characteristics of redstart except for a black spot on the chest. The spot was fairly big and looked well defined. Has anyone seen this before or heard anything about it? Heres a pic(not the greatest).

PS: I'm new to photography and all my bird photos that have the sky as a background turn out like this one. Any suggestions on fixing this?

Attachments

• redstart.JPG
    redstart.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Hi EcoMatt. Yes, it is always difficult shooting up and into the bright light.

I'm more inclined to think that this might be an immature male. A young male is very much like a female except with black mottling.

That was really a black spot....I mean, you saw it at other angles, because it looks like a break in the feathers as the neck is turned while looking straight up under it.
shelley

The first time I saw the bird it was obvious. Right between the two patches of yellow on the flanks was a medium sized black spot. It reminded me of the chest spot on a tree sparrow, only bigger and higher. I wish I had gotten a better picture of it. It was definetly not a break in the plumage. I saw it and went back an hour later to the same location and the bird was still there and it looked exactly the same. I suppose it was just unsual variant of the black molting of an immature male. I don't know much about molting times and such so it could just be a strange intermediate stage when most of the black molting has disapeared.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back