• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sts-65 hd 20-60x (65-40degrees) vs. 25-50x (70-60degrees) (1 Viewer)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the two different eyepieces across the spotting scopes and what, if any, optical differences there were?

One of the EPs seems to be a wide version; and, in my experience such EPs usually offer a tradeoff somewhere: loss of contrast, efob, et cetera.

Which do you prefer and for what type of spotting?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi,
I have tried both a long time ago. I don't remember details but I preferred the view of the 25-50.
But it did not have enough eye relief for my glasses. Bear that in mind if you wear spectacles.

Thank you for the reply. I was leaning towards the 25-50x as well.

While normally I wouldn't worry about eye relief. I recently took possession of a straight scope Kowa TSN-554 and find the eyecup doesn't have enough length at the base magnification of 15x. So I've been eye'ing this swarovski instead.

The Swaro alternative to the TSN-554 is the STC 56, with which you shouldn't have problems with eye relief...
Having loked through both zooms you mentioned, I can't help you since was too long ago but I remember to read some complains with the wide-zoom eye position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back