• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid things birding instincts make you do (1 Viewer)

Steven Astley

I was watching TV with relatives yesterday when a somebody was being interviewed from iceland about the bank crisis. In the background was a lake with waterfowl, with whoopers. For a moment, I think I thought I was on my local patch and instinctively shot up looking for my bins, luckily I regained my senses in time to realise it was only tv.
God knows what relatives would of thought if I started peering through my bins at the TV!
Anybody else done crazy things as a result of being a birder?

I may get lost on vacation if I am in a "new" area. Then they call me on the cell phone to see where I went. "I was just following a bird, and I did not have the binoculars so I had to keep on its trail."

Intently staring at foliage and trees no matter where I am and mentioning bird sound mistakes in movies; "Common Loons don't live in the Amazon!"

At a job interview the office was overlooking a section of stream, as soon as I noticed a dipper there I kept turning to look at it instead of answering the interviewer's questions. Birding instinct also compels me to point out things I see to people who don't really care, but all my mates are used to it now.

At a job interview the office was overlooking a section of stream, as soon as I noticed a dipper there I kept turning to look at it instead of answering the interviewer's questions. Birding instinct also compels me to point out things I see to people who don't really care, but all my mates are used to it now.

Very similar experience: I was on an interview panel in the city centre building where I work, and I was looking over the candidate's shoulder out through a window where there's a small area of roof garden. In the middle of the candidate's presentation I suddenly burst out with "Bloody hell, a there's grey wagtail!" and jumped out of my chair to go for a closer look.

When it flew off I apologised and sat down, muttering explanations about how it's not a bird we see every day in that part of town. The candidate got the job.

LOL. I take it you didn't get the job.:'D

Sadly I did, that's why I'm up at this unearthly hour! And I saw the dipper there yesterday aswell! Also have seen kingfisher, grey wagtail, black redstart, whitethroat and spotted flycatcher - not bad for a factory making car parts!

The only situation I have had so far is that while outside listening to a salesman from a manufacture I deal with I noticed out of the corner of my eye 2 hawks flying over head. My first instinct was to turn my head, stop the conversation and get a closer look but I held that back and continued, all the while thinking there goes another chance and wondering what type they were. Another day I suppose.

At a job interview the office was overlooking a section of stream, as soon as I noticed a dipper there I kept turning to look at it instead of answering the interviewer's questions.

I missed out on a job for the same reason. The interview room was in a room with a big picture window over-looking a pond, there was a hobby hawking after dragonflies & I got completely lost trying to answer questions I hadn't really listened to...

Always drifting out of conversations to look at birds over peoples shoulders, making people walk behind me incase people flush birds before me seeing them, always talking about birds, always looking for birds etc etc

Most people have got used to it now, my ex girlfriend hoever didn't get used to it...

Gareth

I remember once as a kid going to look at something non-avian in the distance after a long day in the field, I can't remember what but I suspect it was a woman, and I instinctively went for my bin.s. Not surprisingly they weren't there as I was doing my evening paper round at the time.

Tresspassing!!

Been caught out a few times, just straying that little bit further from the footpath is never a good idea.....there is always someone somewhere watching!!

Matt

I do the first 2 for sure LOL

A bad habit I have is getting excited by a bird..its big...dark....canit be a...damn its a Crow!

Crows always catch my attention - I hope its always some other bird LOL

Always drifting out of conversations to look at birds over peoples shoulders, making people walk behind me incase people flush birds before me seeing them, always talking about birds, always looking for birds etc etc

Most people have got used to it now, my ex girlfriend hoever didn't get used to it...

Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back