• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (3 Viewers)

I'm meeting an old friend from Brighton at Woodbridge next week: he is desperate to see a Kingfisher!
I know reliable spots in Norfolk, but none in Suffolk...
Can anyone help? Is Melton a good bet? Or Orford?
Thanks in anticipation!

Melton and Woodbridge being on my patch, I haven't seen Kingfisher there since March. It is a good area for them but not at this time of year, they turn up post-breeding from July/August then on through the winter.

As Ron has mentioned, Lackford is a good place for them but don't know if there have been any recent sightings from there.

Gi

taken on sunday t lackford

Melton and Woodbridge being on my patch, I haven't seen Kingfisher there since March. It is a good area for them but not at this time of year, they turn up post-breeding from July/August then on through the winter.

As Ron has mentioned, Lackford is a good place for them but don't know if there have been any recent sightings from there.

Gi

this was from the reed hide at lackford

Attachments

• kingfisher male at lackford lakes.jpg
    kingfisher male at lackford lakes.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 60
Hi all,

I don't usually send this sort of email but it is something I feel quite
strongly about; Plant life are trying to encourage councils to stop
mowing all roadside verges until later in the year, saving many orchid
colonies as well as many other native species. Obviously there are some
roads that need to be cleared for safety reasons, but some seem to be
needlessly cut.
Moths, butterflies, insects as well as the plant species themselves rely
on these natural areas more and more as the agriculture and urbanisation
takes away the places where these species would grow, they also create
very good wildlife corridors linking habitats.

If you wish to read more or sign the petition follow the link, if not
just ignore.

I believe a rather large and new Bee orchid colony was wiped out in suffolk over the past few weeks....

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/roadvergecampaign

gosh its quiet on here lately....

a red-necked phalarope reported at Minsmere on the scrape yesterday, why do all the good birds appear while I'm at work....

Hi all, I visited Minsmere for the 3rd time yesterday, such a great place. Saw my first Bearded Tit, Little Gull and Sandwich Tern.

But I came here to say that I had a Honey Buzzard from the Island Mere Hide at 2:05pm, was unsure was it was so I took a quick picture and waited until I got home to ID it, it was soaring with a Marsh Harrier on the south side of the water. My 2nd ever

Attachments

• IMG_1552-2.jpg
    IMG_1552-2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 149
Hi all, I visited Minsmere for the 3rd time yesterday, such a great place. Saw my first Bearded Tit, Little Gull and Sandwich Tern.

But I came here to say that I had a Honey Buzzard from the Island Mere Hide at 2:05pm, was unsure was it was so I took a quick picture and waited until I got home to ID it, it was soaring with a Marsh Harrier on the south side of the water. My 2nd ever

Sounds like a great visit :t:

Top work on getting the photo too.

Cheers,

Jonny

Had a large number of gulls over work today,farthing road ind est ipswich, easily 100plus presumably feeding on flying ants?? Most were either the local Lesser black-back and herring gull population but there were large numbers of black-headed gulls and i'm pretty sure at least 4 little gulls, small size and black underwings, in amongst them.A spectacular site against the clear blue sky until they all drifted off west!!
Incidently despite the weather this year the lesser black backs and herring gulls that nest on the roofs round here seem to have had a good year there are more juveniles flying around than i've seen for some years!
and on the way home coming through hintlesham there was a large gathering of swifts ,50plus,which also seemed to be feeding in a frenzy more ants perhaps!!

cheers

He shoots! He scores! LOL!

Excellent! Some crackers there.

I went to a local wood yesterday and was pleased too see a few species and higher numbers including 2 purple hairstreak. Was hoping for a white admiral or even silver-washed fritillary! Where there any swf?

Gi

Had a large number of gulls over work today,farthing road ind est ipswich, easily 100plus presumably feeding on flying ants?? Most were either the local Lesser black-back and herring gull population but there were large numbers of black-headed gulls and i'm pretty sure at least 4 little gulls, small size and black underwings, in amongst them.A spectacular site against the clear blue sky until they all drifted off west!!
Incidently despite the weather this year the lesser black backs and herring gulls that nest on the roofs round here seem to have had a good year there are more juveniles flying around than i've seen for some years!
and on the way home coming through hintlesham there was a large gathering of swifts ,50plus,which also seemed to be feeding in a frenzy more ants perhaps!!

cheers

Yeah, it's that time of year when large numbers of gulls feed on ants. Been a big increase in black-headed gulls on the patch. Lots there last year for a post-breeding moult so lots of feathers everywhere. Interestingly my mate who volunteers at Minsmere said all the gulls have moved off.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back