• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

Had my best day out of the autumn so far with three new birds for the county, in the shape of Long-tailed Skua and Sooty Shearwater at Thorpeness and a fantastic Lesser Grey Shrike at nearby Aldringham (fantastic find by Dave Fairhurst).

This was backed by a pretty good second string of Red-backed Shrike at Thorpeness, which was an elusive little blighter, as well as Arctic Skua, Arctic Tern, Gannet and Common Scoter offshore there.

A new Greater Scaup eclipse male at East Lane and a Corn Bunting, 2 Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail there weren't bad either.

A brief stop at Boyton also revealed a Hobby dashing through trying to catch a hirundine or two.

Not a bad day all in all.

Sean

Attachments

• JuvenileYellowWagtailEastLaneSep2013BF.jpg
    JuvenileYellowWagtailEastLaneSep2013BF.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 68
  • RBShrikeThorpenessSept152013BF.jpg
    RBShrikeThorpenessSept152013BF.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ScaupELaneSept252013.jpg
    ScaupELaneSept252013.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 53
  • LesserGreyShrike2AldringhamSept152013BF.jpg
    LesserGreyShrike2AldringhamSept152013BF.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 88
  • MeadowPipitELaneBF.jpg
    MeadowPipitELaneBF.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 66
That's a very fine day! Wednesday felt like the day for Sooty Shearwater and LT Skua but I could manage neither off Southwold, except for one skua in the possible/interesting category. Lots of Arctics tho' and a really nice Pom that took a shot at a LB-b Gull.

Some good looking weather conditions incoming. Looking at the charts id say Thursday has a good chance of arrivals with the north easterlies coming from German Bight overnight. So if anyone isnt working id suggest thrashing the north of the county on Thursday. Conditions tho are promising from tommorow all through to Monday at least and should produce something..and a new YBW has indeed been found this evening in Gunton, Lowestoft.

Yes I'll be out in Kessingland, Benacre area on Thursday hoping for something good :).

Hope someone can find something interesting before Monday as I'm flying out of the UK for a month!!

Sean

Still looks decent for a Thursday afternoon arrival in NE Suffolk as birds skirt around a Danish low and potentaiily arrive at us from after midday. Then due east to south east for a good few days which should produce a Firecrest arrival here at least and the potential of a Siberian mega that has come around the top then drifted across. Pallas` Grasshopper Warbler and Brown Shrike are the potential county firsts to keep an eye out for as is arguably Pechora Pipit with many discreditting the spring Minsmere bird way back.

P.S im an optimist..we may see nothing as usual....

Last edited:
Still looks decent for a Thursday afternoon arrival in NE Suffolk as birds skirt around a Danish low and potentaiily arrive at us from after midday. Then due east to south east for a good few days which should produce a Firecrest arrival here at least and the potential of a Siberian mega that has come around the top then drifted across. Pallas` Grasshopper Warbler and Brown Shrike are the potential county firsts to keep an eye out for as is arguably Pechora Pipit with many discreditting the spring Minsmere bird way back.

P.S im an optimist..we may see nothing as usual....

Love the optimism and great to see some posts on this thread... should be a good weekend :t:

Happy birding Suffolk!

Little Bunting - Minsmere

Hi all,

Had a Little Bunting at Minsmere yesterday.

For anyone visiting Minsmere this week the bunting was at; 647792, 266962 where the path from the visitors centre meets the sea wall, on the top of the dune beyond the National Trust sign.

It kept returning to the same spot with some dead brown plants on a bare patch of shingle. Although was increasingly disturbed by walkers, dogs, children etc!

It was pretty faithful to this patch and returned c5 times whilst we were there.

Otherwise a great selection as ever including a confiding Stoat and also three Great White Egrets on Island Mere :t:

Cheers,

Jonny

I've seen a couple of reports in the last few weeks concerning Botany Marsh at Snape, but haven't been able to locate it. Anyone able to update me please ?

Thanks

Geoff

Snape...

I've seen a couple of reports in the last few weeks concerning Botany Marsh at Snape, but haven't been able to locate it. Anyone able to update me please ?

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

It looks like Botany Marsh is an extension to RSPB Snape. I cannot find a map of the reserve online but there is details here. I don't know the Snape end of the estuary well but the stretch up to Iken Church is excellent birding in the winter :t:

Cheers,

Jonny

Hi all,

Had a Little Bunting at Minsmere yesterday.

Jonny

Nicely done- I'm still recovering from the fit of exercise it triggered on Sunday- had just meandered Sizewell to Thorpeness thru the dunes in vain hope for a bunting funnily enough (Lapland would have been fine..) or exotic dragonfly, got some phone reception at Thorpeness caravan park and heard your news, so walked back to Sizewell and on up beach to Minsmere where all was dogwalking etc and bunt less, so trudged back to car at Sizewell. So that must equate to about 1 Blakeney's worth in total.

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I think Botany Marsh is 'under creation' upstream of the sluice which is upstream of the bridge over the River Alde at Snape (next to Snape Maltings). I don't think there is any access yet.

Dave

Just a heads up the chart for Friday looks perfect for Suffolk seawatching and the chart for Saturday looks optimal for a fall of migrants. Hope it sticks as planned as its been pretty poor here since late August tbh.

Just a heads up the chart for Friday looks perfect for Suffolk seawatching and the chart for Saturday looks optimal for a fall of migrants. Hope it sticks as planned as its been pretty poor here since late August tbh.

Well that was nice- close in Leach's and 7ish each of Manx and Sooty from Southwold. Plus a good (multi-observer!) LT Skua. All heading north, as per usual in these parts the day after a blow. I was expecting lots of Bonxies but it seems they are still in northern part of North Sea eg count of 300 off Durham today.

Nicely done- I'm still recovering from the fit of exercise it triggered on Sunday- had just meandered Sizewell to Thorpeness thru the dunes in vain hope for a bunting funnily enough (Lapland would have been fine..) or exotic dragonfly, got some phone reception at Thorpeness caravan park and heard your news, so walked back to Sizewell and on up beach to Minsmere where all was dogwalking etc and bunt less, so trudged back to car at Sizewell. So that must equate to about 1 Blakeney's worth in total.

At least a Blakeney's worth of effort there!

Shame you didn't connect with the bunting. I was hopeful one of the photographers I saw at Minsmere would have snapped the wee beaut but I haven't seen anything on the BINS site as yet...

Wish I was out there today - despite the weather - Leach's Petrel would be a lifer for me!

Cheers,

Jonny

Well that was nice- close in Leach's and 7ish each of Manx and Sooty from Southwold. Plus a good (multi-observer!) LT Skua. All heading north, as per usual in these parts the day after a blow. I was expecting lots of Bonxies but it seems they are still in northern part of North Sea eg count of 300 off Durham today.

Just read this post! Now I really am jealous - Long-tailed Skua would be a lifer too! Nice work :t:

Cheers,

Jonny

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back