• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk in October (1 Viewer)

cuddy

Brian Robson
I am thinking of trying a weeks holiday in October, based in Suffolk, i have visited Minsmere.

Any information on areas to visit, and a good base from which to visit reserves etc will be appreciated.

Regards Brian.

Maybe there aren't too many people who've tried Suffolk in October - too busy in Norfolk or the Scillies? Should mean the prices ought to be good ;).

This'll give it another 'bump' up, Brian - someone will notice it soon!

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Cuddy
Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread, too busy birdwatching :)))
October in Suffolk can produce anything. The regular migrants are coming to an end and the winter ones getting into full swing. This can be very good along the coastal region. Last year we had Red-breasted Flycatcher, Dusky Warbler, Pallas's, Sardinian, lots of seabird passage and a fair spattering of waders like Baird's and White-rumped. Enough to keep anyone going for a week. As for a base, it depends on how far you want to travel away from Suffolk and if you have your own transport. Public transport on the coast is improving but still has a long way to go. Staying around the Westleton area is probably the ideal but very expensive. Further north towards Lowestoft, or even Lowestoft itself will be a lot cheaper. The advantage of the north east of the county is easy access to Norfolk should something turn up there.
Let me know nearer your visit and I'm sure we can arrange a day or two out.

Ivan

As Ivan said, it depends where you stay and how far you are willing to travel.On the coast itself Benacre broad and North Warren are usually worth a visit. Benacre is just south of Kessingland and N. Warren is between Leiston and Aldeburgh. Further down the coast is Languard Point, next to Felixstowe docks. Recently of Trumpeter Finch fame this site can turn up almost anything in the autumn.
As well as Minsmere itself the whole Blyth estuary-Walberswick-Dunwich area is worth some time.
Further afield,if you have a car, the north Norfolk coast is well within reach as is Breckland and even Cambridgeshire.

Have fun

Glenn

Thanks Andrew, I probably put this Thread out at the wrong time. I have been to Norfolk a few times and travelled to Minsmere from there.

But i feel its worth doing it in reverse this time, i will have a car so travelling will be no problem, i have web info, and where to watch birds in East Anglia but what im after is BF members own personal experiences of the sites.

While i would like to see rarities its not that important, its great to be in pastures new and later when people talk of these places they form a picture in my head and add to my experience.

Thanks to Ivan And Glen for getting the ball rolling so come on you Suffolk birders spill the beans , im looking for an ideal base, good sites interesting non birding places good refuelling stops the more the merrier.

Ta from Brian. :t: :t: :t:

Hi Cuddy,
Have details of superb cottage in Wenhaston (sensibly priced, sleeps 4 max), right next to (walking distance) from Blyth estuary and close (10mins max) drive to coast at Southwold, Dunwich and Walberswick, all of which can be superb in October. I stay there at this time each and every year. No real megas but loads that I don't get in Hertfordshire for sure. Send private email if you wish for more details and I'll put together a site guide for you in good time for your trip. Hope this helps,

Thanks guys 4 more info, Kieth those two have enough on their plates at the moment, really just after casual birder insights.

Ta Javva for the link.

Also thanks Jono, will be on me lonesome and havent decided yet if i will stay one area or move around.

Keep it coming everyone good stuff so far

Brian Robson.

Hi Cuddy

I haven't been in Ipswich long, and I don't have transport, so haven't had much chance to explore Suffolk generally and can't add much to previous replies. However, if you're up for a 10 mile walk through scenic countryside, I can recommend the stretch of Suffolk Coast and Heaths Footpath along the south bank of the River Orwell, and I think October is possibly the best month of the year.

I catch the 97 Ipswich-Shotley bus to the end of the line at Shotley Marina and walk back to Ipswich along the river. Haven't had any rarities there myself, but plenty of wildfowl, waders and little egrets, and occasional East Anglian specialities like avocet, marsh harrier, bearded tit, Med gull etc. There's a good pub halfway at Pin Mill.

I usually take a few days off in October myself - fancy meeting up?

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back