• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk wildlife (1 Viewer)

Very nice Gi. I am still waiting to see my first Painted Lady this year. I have seen hundreds of Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells but not one P L. It is amazing how this year, which seemed like a total disaster a few weeks ago, has turned into a bumper year for butterflies.

Ron

Butterflies, dragons and more

Dear all

Have had had the freedom of a car for the fist time in my 42 years, and so have managed to get out a little this past few days.

Been largely chasing butterflies and dragons, but seen the odd good bird along the way.

Highlights have been Clouded Yellow at a number of locations - Boyton, East Lane and Cavenham Heath. Other butterfly highlights have been Grayling, Small Copper, Wall Brown and Small Heath in better numbers than usual.

Only common dragonflies and damselflies, but nice to see reasonable numbers of them too.

Anyway I have attached a few shots I thought I'd share.

Attachments

• CloudedYellow2Boytonaug2013BF.jpg
    CloudedYellow2Boytonaug2013BF.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 37
  • WallBrownBoytonAug2013BF.jpg
    WallBrownBoytonAug2013BF.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 36
  • SmallCopperAug2013BF.jpg
    SmallCopperAug2013BF.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Black tailed SkimmerBF.jpg
    Black tailed SkimmerBF.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 40
  • MigrantHawkerBFAug2013.jpg
    MigrantHawkerBFAug2013.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
and a couple more..

Attachments

• Female Common DarterBF.jpg
    Female Common DarterBF.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 40
  • RingletAug2013BF.jpg
    RingletAug2013BF.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 39
  • SouthernHawker Aug 2013BF.jpg
    SouthernHawker Aug 2013BF.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Had Willow Emeralds on the River Box, Thorrington Street this evening, not seen them here before. Common as muck nowadays, nice though.

Phil

Several Willow Emerald at Alton Water, with a few Common Blue Damselfly, Migrant & Southern Hawker and Ruddy Darter on Friday afternoon.

A single Grayling in the garden today was a nice surprise and good to see a couple of Small Heath at Shingle Street today too.

Sean

After weeks of unsuccessful searching I finally managed to find not one but two Clouded Yellows today at Lowestoft North Denes, behind the car park at Links Hill. I think my partner Lynn was rather bemused by my cry of "Yellow" as I disappeared in pursuit of the elusive little critter. Unfortunately neither of them settled for photographs but at least I have finally seen one.

Ron

Glad you caught up with Clouded Yellow Ron. Great to see them in numbers after such a long absence.

I keep bumping into Grayling with three today at Rendlesham Dental Clinic of all places. So I think it is fair to say they are having a good year like so many other butterflies.

I managed a few shots of a new species of damselfly for me, small red-eyed at Walberswick. I think one was a female, the other an immature male. At least I think it is that species, as they were in atypical habitat, on mugwort along the sea defences at Tinker's Marsh and not on vegetation in open water as one might expect.

Anyway here are some shots taken with my 100-400mm lens, which were quite difficult to get with the strong breeze.

Hoping to catch up with Common Hawker, Black Darter, Scarce Emerald and Common Emerald next year in East Anglia.

Sean

Attachments

• Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh5BFsept2013.jpg
    Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh5BFsept2013.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh4BFsept2013.jpg
    Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh4BFsept2013.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh6BFsept2013.jpg
    Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh6BFsept2013.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 37
  • SmallredeyeddamseltinkersmarshseptBF2013.jpg
    SmallredeyeddamseltinkersmarshseptBF2013.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh9BFsept2013.jpg
    Smallredeyeddamseltinkersmarsh9BFsept2013.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 32
Black Darters

Today an incredible 10 male Black Darters were seen at Corton New Sewage Works pool, by far the largest number ever seen in Suffolk. They clearly arrived on the strong south easterlies of the preceeding days. Also a Vagrant Emperor Dragonfly was noted in Lowestoft and a Long-tailed Blue Butterfly was noted at Landguard. Clearly a continental insect influx is underway in the county.

Attachments

• smallDartercorton.jpg
    smallDartercorton.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back