• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Supplied accessories - how do they rate? (1 Viewer)

seawatcher

OK. We all have our views as to what binocs we think are best (be it Nikon, Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Opticron, Pentax etc.etc.etc.etc.). And there are lots of threads on these forums discussing the pros and cons of the different makes (weight, focusing, DOF, CA etc.etc.etc.). But how do you rate the accesories that come supplied with the binocs? On a scale of 0-5 how would you rate the rainguard, objective covers, strap, and case). I'll start off with my pair:
Nikon LXL:
rainguard 3/5 - (a bit too floppy)
objective covers - 0/5 (those that are supplied are easy to loose, and don't attach to the body)
strap - 2/5 (horrible stiff non-bungee type)
case - 1/5 (it can be used when the binocs are in my field bag to keep dust off, but otherwise it's pretty useless. And it doesn't have a carrying strap).

So, these get 6 out of a possible 20 points. Not a good start for the world's best pair of binoculars (my opinion). How does your kit fare? BTW, I have replace all of these items with better versions.
Maybe manufacturers should offer boxed binoculars only, giving the customer the option of choosing accessories to suit. Save resources and save unused / unwanted straps etc. taking up space in my cupboard.
(Originally posted under "Nikon" but better placed under threads about "Binoculars". SW).

I am a bit torn on this issue. I know alot of folks make a fairly big deal of the accessories that accompany their bins. Other than the neckstrap I do not really put much thought into the accessories themselves. The rainguard and objective covers are typically only on my bins if I am storing them or, in the case of the rainguard, in case I expect rain. The case is just a case. I actually have a really cheap soft case for my LXs though I keep them stored in a Pelican hard case when they are not in use.

I would describe pretty much all of the "accessories" for the bins I own as "adequate" but not outstanding.

SW,

I am in absolute agreement on the Nikon accessories which came with the Se and the EII! I also thought that the large embroidered Nikon name and logo were rather naff. My complaints to Nikon were met with condescension and dismissal.
I recently bought a Zeiss 10x32 FL and I have not used any of the accessories! I had a Zeiss camouflage strap handy but I did notice that the case seemed well designed and the objective covers were of the tethered type, which is rather useful.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

My Zeiss 10 x 42 FLs came with -

- The case is well designed but wouldn't satisfy any insurance policy! I keep it inside another bag - either a daysack or a Phototrekker AW. {I'm still working on a decent carrying system for off-the-beaten-track wildlife watching. I'm thinking of hybridising something like a Scopac or Mule with an assault vest (or if I win the lottery Lowepro Street and Field or similar Tamrac system.) At that time it'll be interesting to see how useful the Zeiss case is.}

- The strap seemed a bit weedy and thin, so I replaced it the wider Opticron bungee strap I'd had on my old(broken) Zeiss bins

- Using the strap above, the rainguard works perfectly although I can imagine many would say it's too loose a fit. I use it unconsciously now (a sign that it works.)

- The objective lens caps are great, they fit really well in both open and closed positions. I keep them on the bins all the time and use them unconsciously now.

Having said all that, even if they were all crap I'd have still bought the same bins as they are perfect for my eyes and my usage. Accessories can always be found or invented!

By way of accessories, Swaro SLCs are a dream. Each binocular is a complete system, including a wide strap, tethered rainguard and tethered objective covers. Swaro doesn't really provide a field case, which I'm pleased with. One of the many Tamrac cases works fine for $19.95 —*and keeps the equipment logo out of sight.

Swift typically provides an excellent leatherette case, fabric stap, and rainguard. They also work very well as a system. Eagle Optics sells tethered objective covers for the 804 and 820 Audubon's that's every bit as good as Swaro's.

I pretty much agree with the comments regarding Nikon's accessories. I replaced Nikon's thin, uncomfortable neckstraps on my Nikon LX and SE binoculars with something more appropriate. The rainguards and objective covers are adequate but not remarkable. I think more thought and effort could produce a better alternative. I have no opinion regarding the carrying case, however, because it does what it's made to do: that is, cover the binoculars. It doesn't need a strap itself because the binocular strap does double duty here. Still, the overall impression is of cheap, throw-away accessories being supplied for expensive, top-end binoculars...not good.

I rate the binoculars at 4.5 out of 5, but the accessories are 1.5 out of 5.

Accessories hit parade

Well, here comes my hit parade for the most important accessories:

The winner are in the category:

Strap - Leica Ultravid for its ergonomic shape and long enough design.

Rainguard for EPs - Clearly Leica because their covers of soft rubber can be atouched as firmly as the user wants to. Nikon and Zeiss are too loose. These rainguards are always in danger to lift off when they shouldn´t. Swarovski provide only hard plastic covers and for one made of rubber you have to pay again.

Objective Covers - Leica Ultravid and Swarovski SLC and big ELs. The covers of the small ELs can flip off by their own initiative. The Zeiss FL covers are ok but of rather stiff rubber. The Nikon hard plastic covers are a pain and because they aren´t adjustable it´s only a matter of time when you loose them. All of them (Leica, Nikon and Zeis) are very hard to adjust to the binocular. Look for Steiner´s Wildlife series for a better solution! Same for strap adjustment.

Case - Zeiss FL case is very well padded for a maximum of protection. It has its own strap and an extra bag for silicea for prevention against moisture The Leica Ultravid case is also padded but a strap is not included in the package. Nikon´s made of leather bag with magnetic clip is fashionable but pretty useless in the field. I mean Nikon HG-L here. The old Nikon HG had another bag made of a kind of synthetic leather. Swarovski´s bag is a pain. No padding and no strap as well.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back