• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surprises Through My Zeisses / 8 The Dipper and The Cub (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
You are welcome to join me in this 8th of a series of articles taking a look back over my shoulder at some sightings that have not only delighted us but startled and surprised us.

There are some things in life that you feel you can rely on. I don’t mean taxes, or spirited discussions on Birdforum, although they both certainly qualify, I am referring to Swifts swooping through the sky, Woodpeckers making holes in trees and Kestrels hovering. Because of this there was a time when if you asked me ‘where do you find Dippers Cinclus cinclus?’ I would have confidently said ‘rivers’. For we have seen many a Dipper whirring low over the surface of rivers, both fast- and slow-flowing, and landing on half-submerged rocks before curtseying a couple of times, then submerging themselves and apparently walking about the river-bed, searching for food items.

So it was somewhat of a surprise for us to be sitting next to the huge freshwater lake called Loch Maree of north-west Scotland in September 1986, and watching a Dipper land on the surface of the loch, bob up and down on it like a duck, then dive below the surface for at least a full minute, before popping up on the surface again, and floating there as if this was all in a day’s normal business for them. Through my Zeiss Dialyt BGA 10x40s I could see the Dipper floating high in the water like a galleon that had unloaded its cargo and looking completely at home.

At its deepest, Loch Maree plunges 110 metres but at the point where the Dipper was diving it was close to 10 metres deep. Of course we do not know the precise depth, but for sure it wasn’t shallow and there were no rocks breaking the surface nearby. This has forever changed our view of Dippers which are clearly far more adventurous and aquatically capable than we had previously realised.

A couple of days later and a few miles to the south, we hiked over the northern coast of Upper Loch Torridon, and scanned the surface hoping for a better view of the shoal of herring we had caught glimpses of a few days before. At least, we believe they were herring as we had read that shoals of them had visited this loch for as long as could be remembered. It was an awesome sight, seeing a wide expanse of the loch literally boiling with the turmoil created by the fish, and this caused by shoals far smaller than those that visited in the dim and distant past.

Unfortunately, and in the usual way of these things, now that we were in an elevated position and would have had a far better view of the shoal, it declined to show itself. However, the view was breath-taking and as always when next to the sea, we had the feeling that anything could turn up. And it did.

Sitting on an eminence on top of, not a cliff exactly, but certainly a steep hillside maybe 15-20 metres above the sea, we had a commanding view and, it being a very calm day with the merest hint of a breeze, we could hear the waves down below. Mercifully, the sun was strong so despite the calm conditions we were not troubled be the dreaded Scottish midges.

It was in the mid-afternoon when we heard a kind of rasping, drawn-out squeak, that kept being interrupted, or at least it stopped and started, with no discernible pattern. Was it a bird, we asked ourselves? Didn’t really sound like a bird, in fact it didn’t sound like anything with which we were familiar. It seemed to fade somewhat and then come back strongly and suddenly it seemed to clearly come from down below. We stood up and peered over the edge and down to the sea, and there, to our delight and surprise was an adult otter hanging on to a cub by the scruff of its neck, and dragging it through the water.

Through my Dialyts I could see that the mother wasn’t keeping the cub above the surface of the loch but was intermittently submerging its head and when it emerged above water the cub was protesting at this treatment. It was so small we could imagine this might have been its first experience of semi-submergence in sea water. In the west of Scotland, otter mothers often give birth in natal holts some distance from the sea and their foraging sites, but at some point the mothers take their cubs closer to the sea so they can spend more time fishing to support their nursing of rapidly growing cubs, and less time commuting between their foraging territory and the natal holt.

Since then we have had literally hundreds of encounters with female otters and their cubs, but we have never seen a cub being transferred by their mother in this way. What a treat for us even if the cub didn’t agree!

Lee

I have only seen otters once, and I can imagine the fun in seeing them multiple times.

I don't go there any more because I am too unsteady and deathly afraid of ticks.

Your stories are an absolute delight, Lee.

I have only seen otters once, and I can imagine the fun in seeing them multiple times.

I don't go there any more because I am too unsteady and deathly afraid of ticks.

Your stories are an absolute delight, Lee.
Thank you Mal. Ticks are present in the west of Scotland and we minimise our risk by always wearing long trousers tucked into our rubber ('Wellington') boots and having a bath every night and checking our arms and legs for the little blighters.

It seems scarcely believable to us but we have kept a database of all our otter sightings and it is linked to an Excel spreadsheet that tells us we have had 532 encounters with otters in the west of Scotland. They are fascinating creatures and we are still discovering new aspects of their behaviour.

Lee

Excellent read this morning, Lee. I didn’t start birding until the 90s, the first I read and heard about dippers I always wanted to see one. Wasn’t until a couple of years ago I finally got to watch one on a river in Oregon. I was enthralled with the walking in the water.

Excellent read this morning, Lee. I didn’t start birding until the 90s, the first I read and heard about dippers I always wanted to see one. Wasn’t until a couple of years ago I finally got to watch one on a river in Oregon. I was enthralled with the walking in the water.
Lisa they are lovely birds and for us they are the spirit of tumbling waters, thats why it was so odd, but so intriguiging to see one doing its 'thing' in the placid waters of a lake. We love 'em and I am glad you got to see one.

Lee

Another lovely article!
I am coming back to Birdforum more and more frequently looking for another edition.
The only places I have seen Dippers are in the swift flowing Himalayan streams. Otters of course we have here- a different species- but fun to watch. They have always kept their distance though.

Arijit

Another lovely article!
I am coming back to Birdforum more and more frequently looking for another edition.
The only places I have seen Dippers are in the swift flowing Himalayan streams. Otters of course we have here- a different species- but fun to watch. They have always kept their distance though.

Arijit
Thank you Arijit. The otters in the west of Scotland are the regular European Otters that have learned to forage in the sea. They can be extremely nervous of humans but in places where there is regular human activity that does not threaten them they can become very tolerant of humans as long as you don't do anything different from what they are used to. We have had otters who have seen us from a distance panic dive and disappear, while we had one who strolled out of a freshwater loch and stood on the track only maybe 12 metres from us and stared at us for while before turning and ambling over a low ridge towards the sea, in no hurry at all. If you have read Surprises 9 you will remember this puzzled otter swam past us while stopping to stare at us but it didn't dive in alarm or change its course. There really is no predicting how a European Otter will react to your presence in the west of Scotland so it is good practice to assume they will be scared of you and minimise the chances of this happening as you do not want to disturb their pattern of feeding and resting out of the sea because they are on a knife-edge balancing the need to forage in the sea for food and the fact that much of this food will be converted into energy to try and keep themselves warm. They don't have blubber like seals to insulate them from the cold sea, their fur is barely adequate at this so it is critical that they feed and come out of the sea to warm up without being disturbed.

Lee

Thank you Arijit. The otters in the west of Scotland are the regular European Otters that have learned to forage in the sea. They can be extremely nervous of humans but in places where there is regular human activity that does not threaten them they can become very tolerant of humans as long as you don't do anything different from what they are used to. We have had otters who have seen us from a distance panic dive and disappear, while we had one who strolled out of a freshwater loch and stood on the track only maybe 12 metres from us and stared at us for while before turning and ambling over a low ridge towards the sea, in no hurry at all. If you have read Surprises 9 you will remember this puzzled otter swam past us while stopping to stare at us but it didn't dive in alarm or change its course. There really is no predicting how a European Otter will react to your presence in the west of Scotland so it is good practice to assume they will be scared of you and minimise the chances of this happening as you do not want to disturb their pattern of feeding and resting out of the sea because they are on a knife-edge balancing the need to forage in the sea for food and the fact that much of this food will be converted into energy to try and keep themselves warm. They don't have blubber like seals to insulate them from the cold sea, their fur is barely adequate at this so it is critical that they feed and come out of the sea to warm up without being disturbed.

Lee
Such a nice description! Thank you Lee. End of the year and stuff and suddenly three things came to mind. The word Loch. Lake isn’t it? Captain’ Haddock’s Whiskey was Loch Lomond as far as I recall, Nessie of course and Alistair Maclean’s prose out of HMS Ulysses. 😁

Such a nice description! Thank you Lee. End of the year and stuff and suddenly three things came to mind. The word Loch. Lake isn’t it? Captain’ Haddock’s Whiskey was Loch Lomond as far as I recall, Nessie of course and Alistair Maclean’s prose out of HMS Ulysses. 😁
Thank you Ariban and yes 'loch' is Scots for 'lake', and while we are on the subject, 'lochan' is a small loch and a 'dubh lochan' (black lochan) is usually smaller still.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back