• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi

I only know of one car park for Crooksbury and that is the Crooksbury Hill one. Is that the correct one for accessing Crooksbury Common cos last time I tried there it just seemed to lead to a wooded area with no open heathland. Was I in the wrong place? Any help would be much appreciated.

Clare

Clare,

take the Seale to Elstead Rd. Halfway there is a main cross roads. Go straight across and on your right will be an equestrian jumping area. Immediately after this field there is a track to the right. Take this turn and park in car park.

Rich

Hi Rich

Thank you so much for your help. We have been trying to find out where to park for some time and have driven all round those roads with no success. That's great, thanks again.

Clare

Hi Rich

Thank you so much for your help. We have been trying to find out where to park for some time and have driven all round those roads with no success. That's great, thanks again.

Clare

Great-grey Shrike present yesterday along with 17 Waxwings. Neither there at first light this morning although I heard 1 Woodcock and at least 3 Tawny Owls.

A minimum of 10 Bramblings left the roost.

Rich

Great Grey Shrike still present at Ash Ranges this morning viewed from Crown Prince Hill, no sign of the Ringtail though.

John.

Great-grey Shrike present yesterday along with 17 Waxwings. Neither there at first light this morning although I heard 1 Woodcock and at least 3 Tawny Owls.

A minimum of 10 Bramblings left the roost.

Rich

No Waxwings this evening although I did glimpse the Great Grey Shrike. Not the best of views but a Shrike nonetheless.

Rich

No Waxwings this evening although I did glimpse the Great Grey Shrike. Not the best of views but a Shrike nonetheless.

Rich

Where's the best place to park/enter the Ranges to see the Shrike? I haven't been up there for a while but recall there being parking space along the Mytchett Road past the Keogh Barracks? Then follow the track from there straight up to Crown Prince Hill?

Hi Matt,

Yes park on the right just past the barracks & walk up the main track. Scan the trees to your left on the way up. When you reach the x road at the top, take the path to the left & scan the trees to your right. I saw the Shrike perched in one of the dead trees in this area, was very mobile though.Also look out for Crossbills in the pines in this area.

Good Luck,

John.

Hi Matt,

Yes park on the right just past the barracks & walk up the main track. Scan the trees to your left on the way up. When you reach the x road at the top, take the path to the left & scan the trees to your right. I saw the Shrike perched in one of the dead trees in this area, was very mobile though.Also look out for Crossbills in the pines in this area.

Good Luck,

John.

Thanks, John!

Where's the best place to park/enter the Ranges to see the Shrike? I haven't been up there for a while but recall there being parking space along the Mytchett Road past the Keogh Barracks? Then follow the track from there straight up to Crown Prince Hill?

Matt,

that is the place I have used. Try Crooksbury as well as there is one there.

Rich

No flags today, and I managed to see the Shrike! First time around 11.30, saw it from the track out to the end of Crown Prince Hill (straight ahead at the crossroads up the hill, then fork to the right slightly as you start to go downhill) perched on top of a dead tree, out down in the dip to the right. I went around the hill and down another track past the goats (!) to try and get a better view from that side but it had gone. Walked around quite a bit of the Ranges without much sight of anything at all, then on the way back to the car, took a detour back along the same track, only to see the Shrike shoot out of a Scots Pine a few yards away and proceed to chase a Siskin (which it failed to catch!) before landing again on the tall dead tree nearby, on the hill, which gave me a really close but brief look at it before it flew off into the wood.

No sign of the Hen Harrier.

Not sure who saw the Raven over Crooksbury yesterday, but I saw one over Puttenham Common being mobbed by Jackdaws and Rooks.

Matt.

No flags today, and I managed to see the Shrike! First time around 11.30, saw it from the track out to the end of Crown Prince Hill (straight ahead at the crossroads up the hill, then fork to the right slightly as you start to go downhill) perched on top of a dead tree, out down in the dip to the right. I went around the hill and down another track past the goats (!) to try and get a better view from that side but it had gone. Walked around quite a bit of the Ranges without much sight of anything at all, then on the way back to the car, took a detour back along the same track, only to see the Shrike shoot out of a Scots Pine a few yards away and proceed to chase a Siskin (which it failed to catch!) before landing again on the tall dead tree nearby, on the hill, which gave me a really close but brief look at it before it flew off into the wood.

No sign of the Hen Harrier.

Not sure who saw the Raven over Crooksbury yesterday, but I saw one over Puttenham Common being mobbed by Jackdaws and Rooks.

Matt.

Matt,

it was me who saw the Raven at Crooksbury. The bird I saw was missing a couple of primaries which - was yours?

Rich

Matt,

it was me who saw the Raven at Crooksbury. The bird I saw was missing a couple of primaries which - was yours?

Rich
I didn't get a good enough look, unfortunately. I was stood just up the hill from the main pond, and it was circling up above the pines more towards the Common, but size and call were unmistakable. Will try and get a better look next time!

Matt.

I didn't get a good enough look, unfortunately. I was stood just up the hill from the main pond, and it was circling up above the pines more towards the Common, but size and call were unmistakable. Will try and get a better look next time!

Matt.

If I see it again, I should say! Did wonder whether it could be the same bird though

Build up of waterfowl at Tice's today. Number pretty similar with 15 Tufted Duck, 14 Gadwall, 13 Teal and 2 Shoveler. 2 Skylark present on the meadow but little else passerine wise.

Two birders present in addition to me, one who'd seen a Red Kite over the meadow on 30 Dec 10. Dipped on Waxwing again at Tice's and some even nearer to me at North Camp Station, well done John and Matt!

Last edited:
Good views of Brambling at the roost on Crooksbury this afternoon no sign of any Waxwings though. Also at least 2 calling Tawny Owls at 16:40 heard from the car park.

John.

Passing through Surrey from Heathrow this morning and stopped to take a look over Wraysbury gravel pit where the water-skiing takes place. Saw lots of Smew, including at least 6 drakes. A pair of Goosander too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back