• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

Just 3 Goosander at Cutt Mill this morning & only 1 drake Mandarin, also 2 nice male Bullfinches. No sign of the Firecrest after a complete circuit of the Tarn.

John.

Went to Painshill Park earlier today for the annual winter Goosanders. Whilst watching them from the left hand path on 'The Lake', I stumbled upon a Pink-footed Goose in the distance, along the path with a group of fully winged Greylag Geese. It appeared wary, and as soon as it saw me, it shot off into the water- without enough time to see whether it was ringed- with the Greylags slowly trudging in behind it as I approached. From then on, it stayed with the large group of Greylay Geese in the middle of the 'The Lake' (as I believe its called).

On any other occasion, I'd usually shrug off unusual wildfowl like this in Painshill as collection, but with the bird not being more than a mile or two from where the PFG was last seen seen with the Bewick's in the flooded field in Cobham on 19th, and no other obvious collection wildfowl around, there must be a chance they could be the same individual. Might be worth checking out, and any opinions welcome especially regarding plumage comparisons between the two birds.

All photos taken on 'The Lake' from the left hand side of the path, looking towards the grotto.

Attachments

• PFG-painshill.jpg
    PFG-painshill.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 61
  • pink footed goose.jpg
    pink footed goose.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 54
  • PFG and greylags.jpg
    PFG and greylags.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Pink footed goose1.jpg
    Pink footed goose1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 54
any opinions welcome especially regarding plumage comparisons between the two birds.

Billy

I have posted some pics of the Cobham bird.The bird was dropping feathers before it departed.

I cant see this bird being accepted as wild by the committee but who knows....... Its a tick for many of the top Surrey VC birders.

regards

Kojak

Attachments

• Cobham Pink Footed Goose 1.jpg
    Cobham Pink Footed Goose 1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Cobham Pink Footed Goose 2.jpg
    Cobham Pink Footed Goose 2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Cobham Pink Footed Goose 3.jpg
    Cobham Pink Footed Goose 3.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 43
  • Cobham Pink Footed Goose 4.jpg
    Cobham Pink Footed Goose 4.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 46
Went to Painshill Park earlier today for the annual winter Goosanders. Whilst watching them from the left hand path on 'The Lake', I stumbled upon a Pink-footed Goose in the distance, along the path with a group of fully winged Greylag Geese. It appeared wary, and as soon as it saw me, it shot off into the water- without enough time to see whether it was ringed- with the Greylags slowly trudging in behind it as I approached. From then on, it stayed with the large group of Greylay Geese in the middle of the 'The Lake' (as I believe its called).

On any other occasion, I'd usually shrug off unusual wildfowl like this in Painshill as collection, but with the bird not being more than a mile or two from where the PFG was last seen seen with the Bewick's in the flooded field in Cobham on 19th, and no other obvious collection wildfowl around, there must be a chance they could be the same individual. Might be worth checking out, and any opinions welcome especially regarding plumage comparisons between the two birds.

All photos taken on 'The Lake' from the left hand side of the path, looking towards the grotto.

Hi Billy,

as you'd suspected, this was the Cobham Bird:

http://surreybirding.blogspot.com/2011/01/pot-pink.html
http://surreybirding.blogspot.com/2011/01/pinkfoot-update.html
http://surreybirding.blogspot.com/2011/01/pinkfoot-update-2.html

Have you (or anyone), been back to Painshill Park since ? The Jury's still out on this one. Obviously, if the bird was still around in the summer, it'd be straight out the window (although, of course, if it disappears without trace, it doesn't necessarily mean it's of wild origin).

Would they have thought this lone Barnacle Goose was wild if it wasn't for the ring ?

http://www.sligobirding.com/News.html

It's always going to be difficult with birds like this Pinkfoot unless they show obvious signs of being from captive origin but I wouldn't like to dismiss or accept this bird until all possible info is in. Here is something from the latest WWT Magazine:

Attachments

• Pinkfoot_edited-2.jpg
    Pinkfoot_edited-2.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 49
A day of dips today. Dipped on Great Northern Diver at Island Barn, Walton and QE2 Reservoirs followed by a dip on Smew at Thorpe Park which I considered would be an easy bird to see. I guess the wind had moved both species onto somewhere else.

And to add salt to the wound I now discover that the GND has returned to Island Barn. That's birding I guess and another trip tomorrow me thinks.

Rich

Last edited:
A day of dips today. Dipped on Great Northern Diver at Island Barn, Walton and QE2 Reservoirs followed by a dip on Smew at Thorpe Park which I considered would be an easy bird to see. I guess the wind had moved both species onto somewhere else.

And to add salt to the wound I now discover that the GND has returned to Island Barn. That's birding I guess and another trip tomorrow me thinks.

Rich

Are the Smew gone from Holmethorpe Richard ?

Johnny

Not sure its a good idea to put details of potentially breeding Firecrest.

Are they still considered to be sensitive?

Fair point - it's off although the area is a large one. This bird has appeared on Birdguides for the last month or so and on this thread.

Rich

Just back from Cutt Mill. No luck seeing or hearing the Firecrest. Good to see Yellow-legged Gull on the House Pond though, and Goosander numbers increasing again it seems. Got nice views of Yellow-legged circling over the Tarn as I was leaving, before it flew back over the trees toward the House Pond.

Just back from Cutt Mill. No luck seeing or hearing the Firecrest. Good to see Yellow-legged Gull on the House Pond though, and Goosander numbers increasing again it seems. Got nice views of Yellow-legged circling over the Tarn as I was leaving, before it flew back over the trees toward the House Pond.

Hi Matt,

Was that you that I spoke to in the car park at Cutt Mill this afternoon? You, (or not!), had just parked up in a Rover 45 at the Tarn.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Matt,

Was that you that I spoke to in the car park at Cutt Mill this afternoon? You, (or not!), had just parked up in a Rover 45 at the Tarn.

Cheers,

John.
John,

Yes, that was indeed me! I got the text from Rich S and dashed over after lunch. Good to meet you, in retrospect as it were!

Matt.

This bird has appeared on Birdguides for the last month or so and on this thread.

Rich

Yes, but we are still at the time for winterers, so thats okay. When the details of a singing bird are released it becomes a different matter.

Don't worry about it, I have been responsible for exactly the same thing before, and I learnt my lesson (although I do think that Firecrest has become sufficiently common in our area, to maybe warrant less protection in the near-future).

Rich

Hi Rich,
Still at least one redhead Smew at Thorpe Park on Manor Lake. In the southwest corner with the Pochard. Not showing well in this wind but drifted out once from the hidden corner. Also found a 1st winter drake Scaup and possibly a new unrecorded Heronry for Surrey.

Kevin

A return to Cutt Mill after work this afternoon. 4 Mandarin on the House Pond along with 7 Goosander (1 drake). The adult Yellow-legged Gull was briefly present before it flew towards the Tarn but was not relocated. A lone Treecreeper was amongst a large mixed Tit flock between the Tarn and Warren Pond.

Rich

Last edited:
A return to Cutt Mill after work this afternoon. 4 Mandarin on the House Pond along with 7 Goosander (1 drake). The adult Yellow-legged Gull was briefly present before it flew towards the Tarn but was not relocated. A lone Treecreeper was amongst a large mixed Tit flock between the Tarn and Warren Pond.

Rich

A roost of 28 Goosander at Cutt Mill (Via Rich H)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back