• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suspect Greenfinch (1 Viewer)

Angelface

I don't get too many Greenfinch but over the weekend I noticed one had turned up and that he seemed to be bigger than I remembered them. I was very busy with visitors so wasn't able to spend too much time looking out of the window. However, once they had gone I returned to the window to have another look, he arrived again looking quite lively and bullying other birds off the feeders so he didn't look ill just big. Later on he was on the ground feeding with a load of Sparrows when suddenly something disturbed all of the birds except him who just stayed where he was feeding. I just got a terrible feeling and rushed out, he flew off, and I brought all the feeders down took them apart have disinfected them, the bird house and all of surrounding area. I am so annoyed with myself for not realising that when I thought he looked big it must have been because he was puffed up. Its been horrible seeing all the birds turning up looking for their food but I am not taking any chances with them. I have kept the window feeder for the Robin as he is the only one brave enough to come on it so it should be safe for him. I miss them all terribly as they always brighten up my day. :-C

Hi Chrissie,
Sad though it is (and we had a puffed up poorly Greenfinch here at the weekend) the way I'm looking at it is that as long as our feeders are clean then I'm continuing to feed as these birds could just as easily pass on/catch the virus elsewhere ,couldn't they?
I think the removal of previously easily obtained food will do more harm in the coming colder months than the risk of these Finches passing on the virus to each other!
Only my opinion but I hope it makes you feel a little better??
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth,
I was just going to keep the feeders down for two weeks and then gradually reintroduce them. I agree with you that there is no way I would be able to stop myself from feeding them in the coming cold months. I am still feeding the Robin and putting sultanas out for the Blackbirds. I am torn whether to put out a single nut feeder for the Tits. Oh dear I really don't know what to do. You say that you had a sick looking Greenfinch, maybe I panicked then. I will go away and have a think about it.
Cheers,

Angelface said:
Hi Ruth,
I was just going to keep the feeders down for two weeks and then gradually reintroduce them. I agree with you that there is no way I would be able to stop myself from feeding them in the coming cold months. I am still feeding the Robin and putting sultanas out for the Blackbirds. I am torn whether to put out a single nut feeder for the Tits. Oh dear I really don't know what to do. You say that you had a sick looking Greenfinch, maybe I panicked then. I will go away and have a think about it.
Cheers,

Hello Chrissie

I had exactly the same experience last week, except that I actually watched the poor little thing die, the first time I have seen a bird die. - That was really sad.

I took all the feeders down, except the peanut feeder, took them all apart and gave them a really good scrub and disinfectant in boiling hot soapy water. I also did the water dish. I fully intended putting them away for a fortnight but as I was cleaning the windows upstairs ( I do occasionally do a modicum of housework!!) I spotted all my (well I think they were) birds in neighbours gardens feeding on their unwashed feeders and thought that I would prefer them to be using my spotless ones. So I put them all back out. I shall give them another good clean in a week's time or earlier if I see another poorly finch, but I don't think there is anything else I can do. - apart from try to educate my neighbours in feeder hygiene.

I hope you don't see another poorly finch.

Bridie

Angelface said:
Hi Ruth,
Cheers,

Hi Chrissie,

If it's just the one then I really wouldn't be too concerned as Greenfinches are usually far more susceptible to disease than most other Birds. So long as you keep up with regular hygiene for feeders, houses, baths and the ground areas underneath and near the feeding station then I really don't think I'd worry too much at this stage.

The time to keep feeders down for IF more than one or two appear sickly, to my mind, is very confusing. A while back it was advised to stop feeding for a month, then not at all....and now for a fortnight??? Not easy to know what to do for the best!!

Good luck Chrissie,

Sue.

Thanks Ruth,Bridie and Sue,
I have thought about it overnight and I think I will gradually introduce them and see what turns up. Its chilly here this morning and they will need a good breakfast. :t:

Hello Chrissie. I read this thread yesterday, but didn't comment because I didn't really think I had the knowledge or experience to say anything of value. I did, however, agree with Ruth's answer.
And this morning I read Bridie's reply. I know from what she has written before, that Bridie is an example to us all about feeder hygiene. So if it can happen in her garden, it can happen anywhere, because the birds are catching it elsewhere.
The answer I think, is to clean everything out, and then put them all back again, one by one. Then the birds will at least be fed from your clean feeders, as they've got to feed somewhere.
The cold weather is here now, as they promised. So not only will the birds need the food, but I should hope that disease won't spread so quickly in these temperatures either.
Good luck - I think we all need it!

Hi Chrissie, I too read this yesterday but wasn't sure what to say to help, but you are not alone, I have been having a similar problem. About a month ago there was a male sparrow that was always fluffed up and didn't 'hang out' with the others. It spent most of the day lying on the lawn, apparently sleeping. Occasionally peck around but didn't seem to actually eat much/anything, then it would go back to the same place and lie for another few hours. It could fly and looked fine otherwise. It was so sad to watch. This happened every day for five days, then one morning he never arrived.

About a week later a female sparrow did exactly the same but lay right up close to the house. She was gone after two days. I took the feeders and water away after the second one but wasn't happy doing so because I knew that they were kept very clean (especially this summer with talk of the virus) and as Ruth & Bridie pointed out they may simply have gone to gardens where feeders may not be cleaned regularly. I disinfected the garden and after a week I began to put alittle seed scattered along the path. My theory was that it was it would be better for them to feed all spread out like that than cramped together on the normal seed tray.

Whether they were ill with the virus, I don't know. I'm sure birds die for many reasons and I didn't see any sign of the messy beak and retching on food. There were also two last winter about two weeks apart, could this have been the virus or just weak ones unable to survive the cold weather. I really don’t think I’ve got more sick birds than your average bird feeder, it's just that I spend time watching their behaviour and notice them. As there has just been the one, I think the best you can do is continue feeding and watching out for any more signs of illness. It is very sad. I do hope you don’t have any more Chrissie.

Hi Renee and Kezza,
Thanks for your replies, I was pretty sure that it hadn't got anything from my feeders as I regularly clean them, it had just turned up sick and I was worried about it spitting a seed out and a healthy bird coming along and then eating it. Anyway I have put some of the feeders back now and filled a bird bath that is in view of my kitchen window so I can keep my eye on that as well. So far so good and I have not seen the sick Greenfinch, no doubt last nights frost would have finished off a lot of sick birds around the country which is probably a good thing for them putting the poor little things out of their misery and so in turn a good thing for the healthy birds.
Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back