• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sussex Birding (2 Viewers)

Thanks Joanne.
I'll be driving so will be looking for a car park.
Are there any reasonable pubs, cafes etc in the area?
Allan

The car parks at Splash Point and Birling Gap are free, both are good places to start from. Also free is the Golden Galleon car park and a good walk down to the sea but the pub itself is not very nice, overpriced, crowded if it's a nice day and too many rules. There are numerous car parks between Eastbourne and Cuckmere Haven where you have to pay but I think it's possible to buy a day ticket and move around.

There is a cafe on Seaford beach, not far from Splash Point where you could even set up your scope and seawatch while you have a cup of tea (I've done it) and there is a very nice pub at Littlington, inland from Exceat. I think it's called The Plough and Harrow or something like that. It's in the Cuckmere Valley and has some good habitat around it.

Had a Stone-Curlew calling, heading roughly SE, at 0115 this morning whilst out stargazing!! Could hear it for a good couple of minutes until it disappeared....Result - this is the second record for my garden, the last being in March '03!! B :)

Willow/marsh Tits - Burton Mill Pond

Was at Burton and Chingford ponds yesterday and saw what I am fairly convinced was a willow tit. But was wondering which of the two (if not both) are known to be found there?

Thanks

We had a good day at Splash Point on Sunday.
Excellent views of the Kittiwakes followed by a walk on the downs where we saw Wheatear, Mipit and Skylark as well as Burnet moths and Red-Tailed Bumble Bees.
Late afternoon found us at the beach cafe, and following Joanne's advice we kept training our bins out to sea to be rewarded by several Gannets diving for fish.
A last trip to the Kittiwake colony where we found we had just missed a seal :C Oh well.

Not vast amounts of sightings but a very satisfying day.

A big thank you to the RSPB volunteers as well. They had a very busy day!

Allan

Walking the South downs way on Sunday I was surprised to see several Raven on the stretch between Southease and Alfriston (somewhere in the middle) and wondered how common they are along here? Also a nice pair of Sandwich Tern on the beach near Eastbourne.

Tom

Walking the South downs way on Sunday I was surprised to see several Raven on the stretch between Southease and Alfriston (somewhere in the middle) and wondered how common they are along here? Also a nice pair of Sandwich Tern on the beach near Eastbourne.

Tom

Ravens are certainly increasing in Sussex and are a great success story in our county! The area you mention is not far from me and I am aware of several nest sites in the area. Glad you saw some.

Hoopoe at Climping Gap today, apparantley has been present for 3 day as per RBA, distant at times in the horse paddocks especially this afternoon, good bird and nice and local which makes a change!!!

hi all
had a walk up wolstonbury hill yesterday lovely and quiet with some great views not really a birding trip but i had me bins highlights were 5 whinchats showing well which lead us up the hill 3 kestrels hanging in the wind all in a line a distant buzzard and a quick glimpse of a fly by redstart but spent most of the time looking at the amazing variety of flowers and the lovely butterflys all over them
cheers

An excellent (brief) visit to Sidlesham and Church Norton yesterday (4th) for an inland birder like me. A Spotted Redshank at Sidlesham Ferry Pool, together with 2 Ruff, 5 Blackwits and a Common Sand. Then the estuary at Church Norton - 30+ Grey Plover, mostly in sum plum - a juv Little Gull with the Gull flock - 2 Knot, 50+ each of Turnstone, RP and Dunlin, 30+ Curlew, Sandwich and Common Terns and 6 Little Egrets. A Spotted Flycatcher in the Church Norton car park.

Anyone been to Pulborough recently. An entry on the SOS's recent sightings page mentions re-shaping of the North Brooks. Just interested in what they've done there.

Anyone been to Pulborough recently. An entry on the SOS's recent sightings page mentions re-shaping of the North Brooks. Just interested in what they've done there.

Last time we went was on 8 August when the diggers were there and due to start the following day. Not been back since and probably wont go for a while yet as I was thoroughly disappointed - no water at all except a small amount up at the North Brooks.

I know they manage the water levels there but that was ridiculous and the driest I have ever seen it.

A young couple we bumped into were on their first visit there and were not terribly impressed with the lack of water either - my feeling was that they probably wouldnt go back again.

Have been going to Rye Harbour Nature Reserve instead, but its a much longer journey so I really hope they improve things a lot ie the water, or we wont be visiting very much again either.

Last time we went was on 8 August when the diggers were there and due to start the following day. Not been back since and probably wont go for a while yet as I was thoroughly disappointed - no water at all except a small amount up at the North Brooks.

I know they manage the water levels there but that was ridiculous and the driest I have ever seen it.

A young couple we bumped into were on their first visit there and were not terribly impressed with the lack of water either - my feeling was that they probably wouldnt go back again.

Have been going to Rye Harbour Nature Reserve instead, but its a much longer journey so I really hope they improve things a lot ie the water, or we wont be visiting very much again either.

I imagine they had to drain the water so that they could do the work - having quantities of water around when moving large piles of earth is not very helpful at all and so I can see why they would do that. It is only for a short period of time anyway - the birds soon came back if the report of stone curlews there in the last few days is anything to go by.

I imagine they had to drain the water so that they could do the work - having quantities of water around when moving large piles of earth is not very helpful at all and so I can see why they would do that. It is only for a short period of time anyway - the birds soon came back if the report of stone curlews there in the last few days is anything to go by.

Yes, I can understand that, but there should be water around the first part of the reserve as that would not affect the work being done way over at North Brooks. The water that is normally in the first couple of scrapes is entirely separate from North Brook.

The diggers were sitting over the far side of the Brooks, not by the more accessible side where the hide is, so any soil would be nowhere near the other areas.

They carried out surveys recently and over the last year or so, wanting people's opinion on how things could be improved there. The main issue that people had was that the water that 'was' there (at the time) was too far away and many people were unable to see the birds with any clarity - not everyone has powerful scopes etc.

I have just found this on their website, dated 18 August:
Quote:
The 360 digger that was moving earth around on the north brooks last week has finished work - the result of the work should be apparent come the autumn and winter rains that will fill up the pools up again. We are hoping that wintering ducks and waders will appreciate the low ridges we've created, bring birds closer to Nettley's hide and Jupp's view.
Unquote:

It sounds like nothing has been done to the other areas so lets hope that the birds really are closer and easier to see down by Jupp's view.

We might make a visit some time between now and the end of October, so will post back if/when we do.

Yes, I can understand that, but there should be water around the first part of the reserve as that would not affect the work being done way over at North Brooks. The water that is normally in the first couple of scrapes is entirely separate from North Brook.

I always thought that the waterlevels by the other hides away from the North Brooks weren't controlled man but were purely dependent on the vagaries of the weather. Not sure if that's the case or not though.

Wryneck showing well today along the lower pathway just past the Breach Pool along the North Wall at Pagham. Cracking birds, one of my favourites!
Must have been fate being nice to me for a change: Was in Arundel on a job with my Dad and were sitting outside for lunch when a Pagham regular happened to pull up at the T-junction next to us and told us the news!! Having spent Sunday in dismal Kent on a Wryneck-free day (dipped 3, the 4th flew into the path of the Eurostar and was killed 5mins before we got there.....!!!!) it was a super binus and well worth skipping out of working for a couple of hours! Plenty of Wheatears along the path, but not much in the way of waders

Wryneck still showing this evening til 1845 at least. One Spred in the harbour, couple of Yellow-legged Gulls, Kingfisher....single Avocet on the Ferry earlier

wryneck (69).jpgwryneck (76).jpg

Does anyone know how many chicks the Chichester Cathedral Peregrines raised this year? I saw a very young bird on the north east tower for quite a while yesterday, no others though.

obm

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back