• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro 8.5x42's vs. Leica 8x32's (long) (1 Viewer)

Bill A

Hi,

I've posted recently regarding my decision to buy a pair of 8x32 Trinovids as a second pair (or third, really, since I've got a pair of Zeiss 8x20's) to back up my Swaro 8.5x42 EL's (and for the wife and kids to use, ha ha). Let me very quickly admit to no particular expertise when it comes to optics--I'm just sorta the average birder: Anything I have to say will be very old news to many who read and post here.

After a few days only, here are some comparisons:

The view: Both are just razor sharp. I really can't tell any difference in resolution. I'm not aware of CA. There is more flare with the Leicas, typical in my experience of all glasses with smaller objectives. The eye relief with the Swaros is very long (18mm) and with the Leicas quite short (I've seen it listed at various places as 13mm, 14mm, 16mm). I'd guess 14 is about right. I wear eyeglasses, and although I would be happy with another mm or two, I have no real problem with the short eye relief of the Leicas. As far as brightness is concerned, I have to disagree with some postings I've read that argue that 32mm binocs are essentially as bright as 42mm. With an exit pupil of 4.9 vs. 4.0, the Swaros are notably brighter in poorly-lit conditions.

The ergonomics: Both of these glasses feel great in my hands. The Leicas are of course smaller and handier, and seem built like a tank (not that the Swaros are delicate). There've been a lot of justified complaints on the Swaro forum about the crappy soft case that comes with the very expensive binoculars; the Leica case is much better--well made and leather. The Leicas for some damn reason come without objective lens covers--I've had to order some from Eagle Optics, where I bought the binocs. In contrast, the Swaros come with good tethered covers. The eyecups on the Swaro are superior twist up rather than the pull-ups on the Leica, which have an irritating way of pulling up when you take off the rainguard.

The focus: My Swaros are the old slow (or fine) focus models. I've always defended this feature, but I'd begun to wonder if I was doing so for the right reasons. Now I can say with confidence I really do like the Swaro focus. A lot of the birding I do is in pretty dense cover, and there's nothing like the Swaro focus to move leaf by leaf through this kind of habitat. That's not to say I wish the Leicas had slow focus--the faster focus is fine with me too, and can be faster getting on a bird. But it seems a little easier for me to get a perfect focus with the Swaros. Of course, I'm very used to them by now.

The bottom line: These are both outstanding binoculars. The Leicas will not replace the Swaro 8.5x42's as my main binoc, but for a 32mm glass to carry in my briefcase or to take along when I expect a lot of hiking, the Trinovids are great. Oh yes, the wife and kids love them too. I read a lot of scathing back and forth Swaro vs. Leica vs. Zeiss etc., but I have to say that--excepting the occasional lemon that no doubt comes down the pike now and then--anyone would be extraordinarily satisfied with either of these.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I too am the proud owner of a pair of 8.5ELs. They are the best balance between outstanding optics and the finest ergonomics.

I am curious to know if you looked at the 8x32 Ultravids. I have been tempted to buy the 8x32 Triniovids, but with the price being so very close to the Ultravids, I am more likely to go that route.

I probably shouldn't even be asking, as I won't be able to afford anything for some time to come. I just placed a backorder for a pair of Ultravid 7x42 (green) with Eagle Optics. Once these come in, I will have to reduce the old credit card balance once again before another purchase.

Enjoy your fine bins. They are both outstanding!

Rgds,

Steffan

Hi Steffan

Went with the Trins because they were several hundred bucks cheaper and I liked the armor, since in theory I will be letting other members of my family use them.

Best,
Bill

fine focus 8.5x42 Swaros

Have to agree with Bill A on the fine (slow?) focus of my ELs-never been a real problem with me on the 'slow' focus--I appreciate the fine focus on close-ups, especially butterflies and in dense cover, and I never have felt it slowed me down while getting on a bird. Considering that I paid $300 less for my 'slow' 8.5s (18 months ago) than what they cost today for the 'fast' focus, I can easily live with the extra spin of the wheel!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back