• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision EL 10x42 or EL 10x50 (4 Viewers)

has the EL x50 really better optics than the x42, will you see more with a50x than a x42 ? , the only reason for it to be better is that its maybe a little bit lighter in the evening for viewing ?

no, optic quality is of the same (very high) standard, so that you will notice absolutely no difference. if you are still quite young, then your pupils may dilate so much that can make use of the slightly bigger exit pupil diameter; if you are a bit older this may not be the case and consequently you will see pretty much the same even in low light conditions with both. but, honestly, how often do you go birding in low light?

There are some things that will certainly make a difference between the 10x42
SV and the 10x50. The main things are that the 10x50 is heavier, by around 6
oz. and fully equipped with strap, and eye covers, will be around 40 ounces.

The 10x50 has a FOV of 345 ft./1000 yds. and the 10x42 336, very close.

The 10x50 will be brighter, and will offer a easier view, these differences will be true when moving up the objective size, in comparing any like optics. As far as using
the bigger exit pupil, it is there for all to see, all day long, and especially useful
when light gets dim.
There is no right answer on which one is better, they both are great choices.
Personal choice is what is important.

Regards, Jerry

i am aiming of 1 of these binoculairs , opinions ? and user reports ?

I recently compared the Zeiss 10x42 FL and the Swarovision 10x50 and 12x50 and here was what I found. To answer your question I would definitely get the Swarovision 10x50 it was amazing.
Possibly a little difference could be attributed to the bigger aperture of the SV. But I mean how MUCH advantage is a 4.2 mm EP versus a 5.0mm. But what really shocked me was how much better the SV was overall. The SV was brighter but it wasn't just that. It was contrast, sharpness, and the image had more 3D effect and of course it was tack sharp at the edges like all SV's. If you can try it yourself you will see what I mean. It just reinforced the fact that the Swarovision has leap frogged the competition in optical performance. I looked through the SV first and I thought really nice view then I looked through the Zeiss FL and I was like man this doesn't even compare! Take my word for it if you want a 10x or 12x get the Swarovision. They are not that much bigger either. Slightly heavier and slightly longer. They wouldn't replace my 8.5 x42 for an all-arounder but for open country and birds of prey they are the finest binocular I have looked through and of course with the extra magnification you can see more detail.

I had my first chance to compare the 10x42 and 10x50 today. I have to say it is remarkable just how small the difference in size and weight between the two is... I would say it seems greater on paper than in reality. If you are looking for a 10x, these small differences wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

Last edited:
I had my first chance to compare the 10x42 and 10x50 today. I have to say it is remarkable just how small the difference in size and weight between the two is... I would say it seems greater on paper than in reality. If you are looking for a 10x, these small differences wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

140 gr. is the difference in weight i think , and off course the 50mm is a little bit bigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back