• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 15x56 SLC WB/NEU...Confused...??? (1 Viewer)

Hello All -

I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL's - and absolutely love them. I do have a need for a higher magnification and after much research and time spent looking down the aisles of a couple stores I have my heart set on the Swarovski 15x56 SLC's. That said, I am incredibly confused by the differences in what appear to be the "older" and "newer" models, with the same names. I have read a couple blurbs in comment sections on web sites that Swarovski improved these recently...but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out which is the "better" pair.

My local store has two different styles - identical price. Can someone please help me sort out this confusion? I have uploaded some pictures to show what I am talking about - lighter green pair is Pair 1, darker green pair is Pair 2.

Pair 1: http://www.lucidsol.com/1.jpg - These are labeled 15x56 SLC WB

Pair 2: http://www.lucidsol.com/2.jpg - These are labeled 15x56 SLC NEU

They are both selling for the 60th Ann. price of $1899 (What a bargain...?)

Also - What the heck is "NEU" - I cannot find that abbreviation anywhere on the Swarovski web site?

I have tried to call several of the online resellers, but they either have no idea what I am talking about or give me answers they are clearly making up on the fly.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Burm....do u wear specs, and if so, do u need to wear 'em while viewing? Reason is that the big Swaro has only 13mm of er....a little tight.

I will not be wearing glasses for this purpose. I ran into the same issue with the Leica APO scope I sold recently (which I used on the rifle range) - it was unusable with shooting glasses on. Had to go with the 27x Extended Eye Relief eyepiece on a Kowa 82mm scope. Not the same quality as the Leica - but 100% usable.

While I completely agree with you on the 88mm Kowa, the 82mm was purchased about 6 months before the 88mm was announced (a couple years ago now). While the 82mm is an excellent scope, especially for the money, it is not the same as the 88's I have had a chance to use. Honestly, I am holding out for Kowa to announce a binocular style scope made from the 88's - as they do with their overlook pair made from the 82's today. On the firing line having bino's makes target spotting far easier. That is what the Swarovski's are for. I can actually spot easier with my 10x42 EL's than with the 27x eyepiece on the Kowa 82mm at 100 yards. Past that I need further magnification.

The SLC Neu bino's (dark green) have the Swaroclean coatings and better Ergonomics. The lenses and the rest fo the coatings are the same as the last version of the SLC's.

From what I understand (although I never looked through them) you need a tripod to use the 15x56's. Is this correct? What if you are only looking at things that are 500 yards or closer?

The SLC Neu bino's (dark green) have the Swaroclean coatings and better Ergonomics. The lenses and the rest fo the coatings are the same as the last version of the SLC's.

From what I understand (although I never looked through them) you need a tripod to use the 15x56's. Is this correct? What if you are only looking at things that are 500 yards or closer?

The SLC NEU is the latest version of the SLC's and the differences between them and the older style are minimal. The rubber armoring is different and the NEU ones do have the Swaroclean coatings on them. I would generally recommend getting as new of inventory as possible unless a significant discount is available on the older. Swarovski is always doing "minor" tweaks and improvements to their lens coatings that generally go "unadvertised". At least, that's what I've been told by a few folks from Swaro.

The 15x56's do come with a tripod adapter at no charge though I have found that if I have something to brace my elbows on, I can hand hold them pretty effectively.
Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Well, I picked up the 15x56 SLC NEU's - thanks everypone for clearing that up. Came with a case, strap, tripod adaptor and camera adaptor. I have no real difficulty holding these up without a tripod, but I can see where you absolutely would over any period of time. In my opinion, definately worth the investment.

It's not so much the distance that you're viewing at with regards to stability, it has more to do the relative size of the object you're trying to view. Whether you're viewing five centimeter tall letters at 500 meters or 1 centimeter letters at 100 meters either scenario will prove difficult. As blizdas mentioned, it's possible but the view off hand but it's such a compromise compared to the view through a properly mounted 15X optic.

Here are the 15x56's mounted on a Bogen dual camera plate. The Spotter is mounted to a Manfrotto 308RC ball head, so I'm able to align it co-axial with the fixed position on the left. This is nice since you can view normally through the bins and then switch right over to the spotter for a closer look without repositioning the tripod head.
Optics002.jpg

....and alongside some 8x42FLs
Optics003.jpg

Some night viewing set-up with high powered HID lighting.
Flashlightphotagraphy009.jpg

Flashlightphotagraphy011.jpg

Last edited:
Having had a few days to play with them I can say that from a stability standpoint, I have no difficulty using them for my purposes. That said, they are heavy as far as binos go, so I can see where it would be interesting to focus on a fixed point for a period of time. I would definately prefer one of my scopes for that. These are to quickly spot impacts on paper targets for me, and general use like spotting from my Cessna. In a situation where you were trying to focus on say a stationary bird for a period of time - you are better off with a scope.

My only real complaint with these is the distance the eye cups are apart. On my Swarovski 10x42 EL's (which do have noticably clearer images) I have the bino's opened about 40% of the way - about average. On the 15x56 SLC NEU's I have them completely closed. Now, with 56mm openings the tubes must be that large, so I understand why - just one of those unexpected things....

By the way - I have the angled version of the Leica APO scope that Patriot222 shows in his pictures - and I cannot say enough good things about it - other then the very short eye relief, it is an outstanding scope.

By the way - I have the angled version of the Leica APO scope that Patriot222 shows in his pictures - and I cannot say enough good things about it - other then the very short eye relief, it is an outstanding scope.

I've been very happy with this scope and it's outperforms my older Swarovski ST80 HD in low light, despite the slightly smaller objective. I was almost ready to purchase the Kowa 883 to replace this one but since this scope is does so well and I'm not an eyeglass wearer, I figured I'd just keep it and enjoy it. I also have the 32x eyepiece which performs beautifully.

Last edited:
I also own the Kowa - used exclusively for the target range with shooting glasses and the Kowa extra long eye relief eyepiece. If you need that kind of eye relief (as with shooting glasses) than that is the only way to go. If you do not need the eye relief, the brightness and clarity of the image does not compare to the quality of the Leica.

It's not so much the distance that you're viewing at with regards to stability, it has more to do the relative size of the object you're trying to view. Whether you're viewing five centimeter tall letters at 500 meters or 1 centimeter letters at 100 meters either scenario will prove difficult. As blizdas mentioned, it's possible but the view off hand but it's such a compromise compared to the view through a properly mounted 15X optic.

Here are the 15x56's mounted on a Bogen dual camera plate. The Spotter is mounted to a Manfrotto 308RC ball head, so I'm able to align it co-axial with the fixed position on the left. This is nice since you can view normally through the bins and then switch right over to the spotter for a closer look without repositioning the tripod head.
Optics002.jpg

....and alongside some 8x42FLs
Optics003.jpg

Some night viewing set-up with high powered HID lighting.
Flashlightphotagraphy009.jpg

Flashlightphotagraphy011.jpg

Nice photos Patriot222,

Especially because I am as well a binoholic as a flashoholic!
That Polarion light I understand is a great companion to the Leica scope. :t:

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Patriot how do you like the dual mount system? I had the opportunity to use one and could not get use to it? It was just to cumbersome for me? Have you really had time to spend behind it in the field? What kind of glassing do you use it for? And do you like the pan head better than a pistol grip? Again, when glassing I cannot get comfortable with a pan? Even a good one! But when videoing game they are a necessary evil because you just cannot swivel the grip as well as a pan head...

CL;

If you find the pan head and pistol grip not to your liking, try a gimbal mount. A little cumbersome but very easy to use.

Attachments

• Digiscope.jpg
    Digiscope.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 274
CL;

If you find the pan head and pistol grip not to your liking, try a gimbal mount. A little cumbersome but very easy to use.

I've seen those but never used one.... I use a Bogen pistol grip to glass and love it! I use a Swarovski pan to video.... Maybe I need to try a gimbal?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back