• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski compared to Vortex (1 Viewer)

This is what Id collected to date for 8s and 10s, from larger sheet that included 12s and 7s. May not be all the brands models you want? Also prices may have changed. Lots of adds and deletes over time, depending, so let me know if something seems off. Is it Leica that does weird conversion of FOV from meters to yards? Haven't been able to find transmission and AFOV for all.

Attachments

• Binos - 8s and 10s.pdf
    99 KB · Views: 32
This is what Id collected to date for 8s and 10s, from larger sheet that included 12s and 7s. May not be all the brands models you want? Also prices may have changed. Lots of adds and deletes over time, depending, so let me know if something seems off. Is it Leica that does weird conversion of FOV from meters to yards? Haven't been able to find transmission and AFOV for all.
Thank you 🙏🏼

There is a 12x50 from Vortex in both UHD and Viper versions. About 1k difference in price and they’re both nice, but the bigger, heavier UHD is very nice and the extra weight makes them much more stable. The UHD also has an incredible close focus of around 5-6’.
Hard to say which I liked better, but I definitely did like them both, a lot!
Did you like or notice anything better about the Viper over the UHD in your opinion?

Did you like or notice anything better about the Viper over the UHD in your opinion?
I can answer that , no. To be serious though these are in two completely different categories of optics. You can see it the minute you pick them up. It’s like the difference between a Zeiss Terra and the SF. The only thing that the Viper has over the UHD, is it’s size.

I can answer that , no. To be serious though these are in two completely different categories of optics. You can see it the minute you pick them up. It’s like the difference between a Zeiss Terra and the SF. The only thing that the Viper has over the UHD, is it’s size.
Yes they sure are! But, I'm curious to see what he says, since he said it's hard to say which he liked better...

The smaller size of the viper may actually not be better. He said the larger size of UHD made it more steady. So depends on if size or steady view is more important to the user. For me it'd be steady view over smaller size.

Yes they sure are! But, I'm curious to see what he says, since he said it's hard to say which he liked better...

The smaller size of the viper may actually not be better. He said the larger size of UHD made it more steady. So depends on if size or steady view is more important to the user. For me it'd be steady view over smaller size.
Agreed.

That's the exact use of my Viper HD12x50 for the time being
You've already got the Viper!

When I looked at the prices and size comparison I was really hoping to like the Viper and relieved that I did too though. The tough part was that I really liked the UHD as well, and was really taken with its stability and totally unexpected close focus capability. Standing at the counter, I was able to focus on products on the shelves in front of me, which would have only been 5-6' feet away.

I'm very interested in getting an Ultravid or UHD, but think it's also likely that I'll end up with a Viper and be happy with that.

You've already got the Viper!

When I looked at the prices and size comparison I was really hoping to like the Viper and relieved that I did too though. The tough part was that I really liked the UHD as well, and was really taken with its stability and totally unexpected close focus capability. Standing at the counter, I was able to focus on products on the shelves in front of me, which would have only been 5-6' feet away.

I'm very interested in getting an Ultravid or UHD, but think it's also likely that I'll end up with a Viper and be happy with that.
Yes. I plan to replace the Viper HD 12x50 with the UHD 12x50 at some point. I just got the Viper HD though a few weeks ago, brand new. So I think I at least want to use it some first before going for the UHD. I also noticed the stability of the UHD seemed to be really good for a 12x. I can still hold the Viper HD steady though, just takes little more intention.

The Vortex Razor 12x50 UHD weigh 28.7 ounces per the Vortex website. B&H is selling them for $1,400 and the HD version for $800 at this time. I opted for the HD version as to me it was a much better value. Only 3' difference in FOV at 1000 yards and 0.2 ounces in weight between the two.

The Vortex Razor 12x50 UHD weigh 28.7 ounces per the Vortex website. B&H is selling them for $1,400 and the HD version for $800 at this time. I opted for the HD version as to me it was a much better value. Only 3' difference in FOV at 1000 yards and 0.2 ounces in weight between the two.
HD 50’s are just under 29 oz, UHD 50 is over 36 oz. If website is saying 0.2 difference, it’s wrong. The difference is even greater in the 42’s.

Paul
Edit: Vortex website does concur with my numbers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back