• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski compared to Vortex (1 Viewer)

I got a chance to compare the UHD and Viper in 12x50 yesterday and was thoroughly impressed with both.
Having not really cared for the EL, these are now in the running for whether to go Vortex or Ultravid now.
One thing that really startled me with the UHD was how they could focus so sharply, almost into the Papilio-zone. I was actually able to read the small print on the boxes directly in front of me behind the counter, and the extra length and weight over the Vipers made them very steady, much like the Ultravid.
I haven’t like any of the Diamondback series, but the Vipers and UHD are top notch binoculars absolutely for sure!
Outside of the EL, I think the UHD 12x50 is the best 12x50 available. I have tried most of the top 12x50's and the UHD is my favorite. The UVHD 12x50 is nice, but the UHD has sharper edges and the AK prism makes it really bright. You're correct about the Papilio being sharp. It is the best value binocular you can buy at $100. The new Pentax ED 7x32 is the same way. It is tack sharp to the edge and has no CA that I can see. It is one of the best bargains I have seen at $329.00. I wrote a review on it over in the Pentax forum.

Last edited:
That is really not fair comparing a 10x50 to a 10x42. That is a lot of aperture advantage. The Vortex looks huge next to the SLC. Interesting that he couldn't discern any difference between the two in low light. I would think the Vortex UHD being a 10x50 would kill the Swarovski SLC 10x42 in twilight.

View attachment 1520002
Yes that’s very odd old timer Kan , that he couldn’t see the difference in brightness between the two. I’ve had the two of them side by side in 8x42 , and the first thing that jumps out out you is the brightness of the UHD. So why the reviewer could not see the difference between a 42 and a 52 mm is quite surprising. The two brightest 8 and 10 x 42 (roof) binoculars that I’ve ever tried, is the UHD‘s and the Zeiss FL‘s.

Last edited:
Outside of the EL, I think the UHD 12x50 is the best 12x50 available. I have tried most of the top 12x50's and the UHD is my favorite. The UVHD 12x50 is nice, but the UHD has sharper edges and the AK prism makes it really bright. You're correct about the Papilio being sharp. It is the best value binocular you can buy at $100. The new Pentax ED 7x32 is the same way. It is tack sharp to the edge and has no CA that I can see. It is one of the best bargains I have seen at $329.00. I wrote a review on it over in the Pentax forum.

Waste of time looking at albinos for certain criteria, if you look up the UHD he opines the the HD are almost the same, which is clearly inaccurate.

Yes that’s very odd old timer Kan , that he couldn’t see the difference in brightness between the two. I’ve had the two of them side by side in 8x42 , and the first thing that jumps out out you is the brightness of the UHD. So why the reviewer could not see the difference between a 42 and a 52 mm is quite surprising. The two brightest 8 and 10 x 42 binoculars that I’ve ever tried, is the UHD‘s in the Zeiss FL‘s.
Agreed, the Vortex UHD's brightness is immediately apparent.

That is really not fair comparing a 10x50 to a 10x42. That is a lot of aperture advantage. The Vortex looks huge next to the SLC. Interesting that he couldn't discern any difference between the two in low light. I would think the Vortex UHD being a 10x50 would kill the Swarovski SLC 10x42 in twilight.

View attachment 1520002

That's not the only thing that's makes me question the validity of the review. The writer also seems to hold the mistaken belief that the larger the lens diameter, the wider the FoV. 🤔

The UHD 50’s have a larger field of view than the SLC 42’s, (they should with a bigger objective) [...]

Last edited:
The UHD has great glass, but is way too big and bulky. If they put those optics in the Viper body they'd really have something.
There is a 12x50 from Vortex in both UHD and Viper versions. About 1k difference in price and they’re both nice, but the bigger, heavier UHD is very nice and the extra weight makes them much more stable. The UHD also has an incredible close focus of around 5-6’.
Hard to say which I liked better, but I definitely did like them both, a lot!

They had these at last year's Global Birdfair, but unfortunately by the time I got to try them my eyes were getting quite fatigued, and conditions were also poor - lots of heat haze made it difficult to check detail and sharpness at long distance. I did think they were really bright and had very alpha-like colour rendition. I'd certainly like to try them again.

Put them side by side and the UHD towers above them all......physically of course!
They are longer but not much wider at all, the EDG is substantially fatter and feels it. Interesting to note, although a few once’s heavier than the Noctivids, the Nocs feel heavier , possibly because smaller and more dense.

Attachments

• 990D776D-43CA-47C2-98F9-EADFCE1B7E8F.png
    990D776D-43CA-47C2-98F9-EADFCE1B7E8F.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 155389C3-21E0-4E8E-A816-D231EDE84CA5.png
    155389C3-21E0-4E8E-A816-D231EDE84CA5.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 31
Here’s a few more , really about Same size as the EL, slightly longer, it’s shorter than the SF.

Attachments

• 10B3CBE9-FC7F-479D-A04C-E99757CBD7F0.jpeg
    10B3CBE9-FC7F-479D-A04C-E99757CBD7F0.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 54F387B9-A5B0-4F94-8AD9-00556A91BAA4.jpeg
    54F387B9-A5B0-4F94-8AD9-00556A91BAA4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
for me compared the vortex is could tried were always a bit more brownish colorize, and overall brightness no comparison to my curio and my el....
On the other side i have no problem looking still looking through my diamondbacks 8x32, there are a nice packable device for the mountains...

I briefly considered going for the UHD 12x50. I found a shop which stocked them and was surprised to find a defective diopter in the model that I tested. That, combined with the large size, put me off UHDs. The glass was very good, though.

Tom,

Do you have the specs laid out like that for those binoculars in 8/8.5x or the 10x42’s?
I dont, but maybe could if youre shopping list isnt too off the grid/different from what I've collected. My master list is silly, too big but I have used it to excerpt smaller compariosns, like that one. What specifically you looking for?

I dont, but maybe could if youre shopping list isnt too off the grid/different from what I've collected. My master list is silly, too big but I have used it to excerpt smaller compariosns, like that one. What specifically you looking for?
Nothing specific, that was just a good breakdown for those specific binoculars. I don’t do too much with 12s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back