• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL questions (1 Viewer)

dtvmcdonald

United States
I've had these (10x42) about a year and a half. I also own the top of the line Leica 8x42.

Question: one lens cap broke off. Where do I get a replacement? Or better ... is there
a replacement for the eyecap? I luckily found the broken cap on the walking path,
and glued it and the other onto a leather piece with shoe glue, making
a homemade cap like the lens cap, which attaches to the strap like the lens cap.

Comment: I'm an optics freak.

So ... I like comparing binocs. As I said, I own top of the line Swavorski 10x42 and Leica 8x42.

They are both infuriating! (I'm too picky).

The Leica has perfect stray light blocking, the Swavorski needs a camera-like pair of lens shields
if the sun is within 30 degrees of the field of view.

The Swavorski has better optics, in only one way (otherwise they both seem perfect).
The imperfection in both is lateral secondary chromatic aberration (violet-green fringes at the field edge).
I also tried a Zeiss and it is in-between in both stray light rejection and lateral chromatic.

A question: does anybody make a better binoc, one that has the stray light baffling of the Leica and
substantially better lack of secondary lateral chromatic aberration (violet-green fringes) than my
Swaroviki? I had hopes for the Zeiss, but it was infuriatingly in between!

Its also infuriating that all the reviews I see never discxuss the important distinction points ..
just things like field of view and where your fingers sit!

P.S. I don't need glasses.

I have the 8x42 Swarovski NL pure and it is the best of all the binoculars I have had. I have had many.
Agree w/Robert, I had the 8X42 NL Pure, optically and ergonomically the best. I ultimately settled with the 8X42 EL Range TA, optically very close behind the NL, more robust build, and I use the electronics on the Range TA's.

I guess by, "top of the line Leica" the OP means Noctivids. However, the top of the line Leica some would argue, including me: the 7X42 UVHD+.

The NL hasn’t improved much on stray light baffling over EL. See photo (worst glare position i could get, affecting lower part of image). There is also lateral CA. Of course I’m being picky here (too).58854E90-0784-4C95-B1E5-B2D5DB0A1D03.jpeg

The NL hasn’t improved much on stray light baffling over EL. See photo (worst glare position i could get, affecting lower part of image). There is also lateral CA. Of course I’m being picky here (too).View attachment 1458286
I don’t really see any lateral Ca only an extremely thin yellow line at the field stop like Henry seen in his. I wear glasses and can’t say I get any glare either. Very minor if it there. One of the cleanest views and on a cloudy day the contrast is excellent. They just really work for me. 👍

I don’t really see any lateral Ca only an extremely thin yellow line at the field stop like Henry seen in his. I wear glasses and can’t say I get any glare either. Very minor if it there. One of the cleanest views and on a cloudy day the contrast is excellent. They just really work for me. 👍
On cloudy days the glare is no problem unless you are looking in dense bushes far away with a modest
(but complete) overcast. It on sunny days with lots of bright white clouds that I'm bothered. Most
birding days are like that.

The lateral chromatic shows best on the edges of a white picket fence near the field edge: brilliant
purple and green when seen in direct sunlight. Also on cloud edges. A 420 nm cutoff yellow
removes the violet, but the green remains.

In terms of CA control I don't think you'll find better than EL/NL/SF - personally I found all three pretty good and I would say I seem more susceptible to CA than most. SLCs are very good too if you can live with a less flat field.

I don't find the thin yellow edge to ELs noticeable in use - I have to consciously look at the field stop to see it, unlike with the SFs where the blue circle jumps out at me.

I've not tried Noctvid - the highest grade of Leica I've tried is Ultravid where CA is noticeably present compared to the three above (I could live with it, but it's clearly there to my eyes).

Only other possibility I can think of trying is the top end Meoptas.

Glare control is something that has been endlessly discussed on these forums. I'm one of those who don't find glare to be a problem with ELs or NLs - I can only see it if I decentre my pupils rather than moving binoculars or mis-set the eyecup stop or IPD but some others report problems. I think it's a case of try and see - no one seems to have an answer as to why different people see different things.

Also, the Noctivid is not completely resistant to stray light under certain conditions it shows diffuse stray light.
The best binoculars I've ever seen in the discipline were the Nikon EDG 7x42, that's noticeably better than the Noctivid, CA weren't particularly noticeable either.

Andreas

Also, the Noctivid is not completely resistant to stray light under certain conditions it shows diffuse stray light.
The best binoculars I've ever seen in the discipline were the Nikon EDG 7x42, that's noticeably better than the Noctivid, CA weren't particularly noticeable either.
Glare control? Habicht 7x42 ... :cool: If you can live with its quirks.

BTW, the Canon 10x42 IS is pretty good as well.

Hermann

On cloudy days the glare is no problem unless you are looking in dense bushes far away with a modest
(but complete) overcast. It on sunny days with lots of bright white clouds that I'm bothered. Most
birding days are like that.

The lateral chromatic shows best on the edges of a white picket fence near the field edge: brilliant
purple and green when seen in direct sunlight. Also on cloud edges. A 420 nm cutoff yellow
removes the violet, but the green remains.
I am glad I don’t see that.

did you compare that Habicht directly with the EDG?
No direct comparisons. From what I remember the EDG was excellent as well. The Habicht 7x42 (and the Canon) are the two most glare resistant binoculars I've got.
No idea, I don't know the Habicht 7x42, the glass probably makes little sense for people who wear glasses.
Also, the FOV...well... ;)
Well, I switched to glasses a month ago or so, after using contact lenses for more than 40 years. And the 7x42 works pretty well for me, I get the full field of view. I made sure my glasses are close-fitting though, optimized for use with binoculars and scopes.

And yes, the AFOV of the Habicht isn't exactly large ... 😀

Hermann

Well, I switched to glasses a month ago or so, after using contact lenses for more than 40 years. And the 7x42 works pretty well for me, I get the full field of view. I made sure my glasses are close-fitting though, optimized for use with binoculars and scopes.
Yes, but other things also play a role, far/short-sightedness, face/nose shape, how deep are the eyes...

Andreas

Yes, but other things also play a role, far/short-sightedness, face/nose shape, how deep are the eyes...
Absolutely right. And yet I am sometimes amazed when I meet people who complain about not being able to see the full field of view with glasses that are quite obviously fashion accessories rather than visual aids.

Hermann

In answer to your question, try Meopta Meostars HD.
I am a huge Leica fan, but I can't see any reason to change over......these Meoptas are THAT good.
I also compared them at a nature hide to the Swaro NL Pures, and again, I genuinely wouldn't swap, I prefer the Meoptas.
I see zero CA, and the detail, to my eyes easily matches Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss.... I've had all 3 brands.
I bought them in a sale because the price was good, and they are now my primary bins.
They are also built like a tank, I like that..... but some may find them a few grams too heavy.... but this aids stability.
The caps are sh*t but Opticron saved the day there for just a few quid.

In terms of CA control I don't think you'll find better than EL/NL/SF - personally I found all three pretty good and I would say I seem more susceptible to CA than most. SLCs are very good too if you can live with a less flat field.

I don't find the thin yellow edge to ELs noticeable in use - I have to consciously look at the field stop to see it, unlike with the SFs where the blue circle jumps out at me.

I've not tried Noctvid - the highest grade of Leica I've tried is Ultravid where CA is noticeably present compared to the three above (I could live with it, but it's clearly there to my eyes).

Only other possibility I can think of trying is the top end Meoptas.

Glare control is something that has been endlessly discussed on these forums. I'm one of those who don't find glare to be a problem with ELs or NLs - I can only see it if I decentre my pupils rather than moving binoculars or mis-set the eyecup stop or IPD but some others report problems. I think it's a case of try and see - no one seems to have an answer as to why different people see different things.

I've had these (10x42) about a year and a half. I also own the top of the line Leica 8x42.

Question: one lens cap broke off. Where do I get a replacement? Or better ... is there
a replacement for the eyecap? I luckily found the broken cap on the walking path,
and glued it and the other onto a leather piece with shoe glue, making
a homemade cap like the lens cap, which attaches to the strap like the lens cap.

Comment: I'm an optics freak.

So ... I like comparing binocs. As I said, I own top of the line Swavorski 10x42 and Leica 8x42.

They are both infuriating! (I'm too picky).

The Leica has perfect stray light blocking, the Swavorski needs a camera-like pair of lens shields
if the sun is within 30 degrees of the field of view.

The Swavorski has better optics, in only one way (otherwise they both seem perfect).
The imperfection in both is lateral secondary chromatic aberration (violet-green fringes at the field edge).
I also tried a Zeiss and it is in-between in both stray light rejection and lateral chromatic.

A question: does anybody make a better binoc, one that has the stray light baffling of the Leica and
substantially better lack of secondary lateral chromatic aberration (violet-green fringes) than my
Swaroviki? I had hopes for the Zeiss, but it was infuriatingly in between!

Its also infuriating that all the reviews I see never discxuss the important distinction points ..
just things like field of view and where your fingers sit!

P.S. I don't need glasses.

To me you describe the 7x42 FL.. Low CA and very good stray light control.

I suspect that the larger EP (exit pupil) makes it easier to avoid potential glare artifacts.
So perhaps the 8.5x/8x EL SV/NL might be better, and also have a little less CA than the 10x.

As already been pointed out, correct IPD is important as well as binocular positioning.

Personally I don't have any major problems with the 8.5x42 EL SV. CA is OK (better than Leica but not good as Zeiss, especially FL:s)
and glare is rarely a problem. And if so, by moving the bin around a bit, it can mostly be avoided.

I mostly use the 8.5 EL SV (due to the extra mag and the perfect edge sharpness) but if I could only have one bin, I would probably keep the 7x42 FL...they just have a very natural, relaxed and enjoyable view that is hard too beat. I also very much prefer them in low light, due to the larger exit pupil.

Last edited:
The NL hasn’t improved much on stray light baffling over EL. See photo (worst glare position i could get, affecting lower part of image). There is also lateral CA. Of course I’m being picky here (too)

In answer to your question, try Meopta Meostars HD.
I am a huge Leica fan, but I can't see any reason to change over......these Meoptas are THAT good.
I also compared them at a nature hide to the Swaro NL Pures, and again, I genuinely wouldn't swap, I prefer the Meoptas.
I see zero CA, and the detail, to my eyes easily matches Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss.... I've had all 3 brands.
I bought them in a sale because the price was good, and they are now my primary bins.
They are also built like a tank, I like that..... but some may find them a few grams too heavy.... but this aids stability.
The caps are sh*t but Opticron saved the day there for just a few quid.
There is a brand-new pair of Meopta Meostar's B1 Plus 8x32 in the classified for $999.95. Good deal!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back