• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht Binoculars 8x30w (8 Viewers)

Hello Clay, I have a older design Swarovski SLC 7x30 that I sent in to SONA in 6/20/03. I have the original Service Order for this and Pam S was my contact. My original SLC 7x30 was from about 1982 or so and this SLC 7x30 binocular I got back from SONA was brand new except for my lens. The serial number on this starts DA73 and then five more numbers, so I guess this would be considered a 2003 binocular now. I was really happy to get this back in such excellent shape. My question is, do you know when Swarovski started making these first 7x30 & 8x30 SL compact roof prism binoculars. When I bought my 7x30 SLC[compact] all they showed was the classic series, SL porro series and these two 7 & 8 30 SLC. I lost my original receipt but had sent in a card to SONA. Thanks for any information.
Regards,Steve

Steve -

The first 30mm SLCs came out in 1989. When you sent yours in for repair, they evidently had to replace the body half that included the hinge that contained the serial number. The new number with the "A" shows that the binocular was refurbished in the USA.

Clay

Hello!
Interesting information.
Does the code apply to Habicht Porro models, too?
Thank you.
Best,
Tom

Tom -

Logically, it should, but since we have never done repairs on them in the US, I never bothered to check. Now that I don't have my sample anymore, I can't.

Gail, any comments?

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Steve -

The first 30mm SLCs came out in 1989. When you sent yours in for repair, they evidently had to replace the body half that included the hinge that contained the serial number. The new number with the "A" shows that the binocular was refurbished in the USA.

Clay

Hi Clay, I guess my memory is not that good. After reading that they came out in 1989 I must of bought mine 1990. Thanks so much for the information about the serial numbers. Here is a scan of the original catalog, the place is no longer in business.They show a classic 6x30 porro with 8.5° field of view.:)
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• Mack Optical & Machine Tool scan (Large).jpg
    Mack Optical & Machine Tool scan (Large).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Mack Optical & Machine Tool scan.jpg #2 (Large).jpg
    Mack Optical & Machine Tool scan.jpg #2 (Large).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 717
Hello!
Interesting information.
Does the code apply to Habicht Porro models, too?
Thank you.
Best,
Tom

I don't think so. My 7x42 Habicht Porro's s/n is just six digits, no letter prefix, 712XXX. I'm not sure about their age (purchased them used about 4 years ago), but doubt they are 2001 production since they have the old style hard eyecups instead of the rubber, roll-down type.

Charlie

I don't think so. My 7x42 Habicht Porro's s/n is just six digits, no letter prefix, 712XXX. I'm not sure about their age (purchased them used about 4 years ago), but doubt they are 2001 production since they have the old style hard eyecups instead of the rubber, roll-down type.

Charlie

The serial number for my 10 x 40 Habicht porros is 183XXX which I always assumed meant a 1983 date of manufacture, about what I would have expected. Your serial number, unfortunately, blows that theory out of the water.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back