• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski nl 8x32 (6 Viewers)

Between the SF 8X32 and the NLs coming out, this coming fall will be lively on here, there will be some discussions that no doubt will be entertaining to say the least.

It is way to early to speculate on other sizes. The 42's are not even out yet.

If there are other NL models, the 50mm will come first.
Do you think they would have done a 12x42 if they were also planning NL 50? I suspect not, so it's not envisioned as a complete "line", and a 32 doesn't seem a sure bet either. (Leica still has only Noctivid 42, and it took Zeiss ~5 years to get around to SF 32... I wouldn't hold my breath, or money.)

Do you think they would have done a 12x42 if they were also planning NL 50? I suspect not, so it's not envisioned as a complete "line", and a 32 doesn't seem a sure bet either. (Leica still has only Noctivid 42, and it took Zeiss ~5 years to get around to SF 32... I wouldn't hold my breath, or money.)

You are right...but it begs the question of why not? Obviously they know what they sell and do not 'in great numbers' but I see more and more people (birders) getting into the 32's now.

Are you perhaps going to wait for an NL Pure 32? If you are looking for a 32, would you consider the SF?

At this point, people are wondering whether the NL32 won’t beat the SF32 to market. Very few SF32 review units seem to have circulated, which seems to indicate that sales won’t start sonsoon.

Edmund

At this point, people are wondering whether the NL32 won’t beat the SF32 to market. Very few SF32 review units seem to have circulated, which seems to indicate that sales won’t start sonsoon.

Edmund

A FB friend who's also a Zeiss ambassador has just received a 10x32, FWIW.

I've done some rough workings out based on the FOV of the 42 NL's.

I think we're goin be looking at 140m for the 10x32 NL and over 170m for the 8x32...

Crazy figures..

Cheers
Tim

A FB friend who's also a Zeiss ambassador has just received a 10x32, FWIW.

Do a Google search, there just aren’t that many reviews out there. I think that if Swaro are set up to produce inhouse rather than subcontract, they might beat them to market. Look at the NL which came out of nowhere and is now set to really hit the streets. The problem with subcontracting is that what is critical for you is just another contract to the supplier and if it comes to hard choices the smallest job will probably lose out. Happened to me, in my youth.

Edmund

Last edited:
What is a Zeiss ambassador?

Something apparently borrowed from the camera world.
Usually a professional who is very visible in her/his field and who uses that brand of gear.
They become the face of the company in their niche more than the official spokesperson.
I'd not known that binoculars were a large enough sector to support 'ambassadors', but probably the economics work out. Free or early gear is a lot cheaper than a Madison Ave style publicity campaign.

So, sort of a free sales person for the brand.

Andy W.

Andy:

Many sporting companies used paid sponsors to help promote their wares.

A lot of these individuals do get some free optics, but also more than that.
They get help with travel and expenses while off doing their thing, whether at
a show or other activity.

Jerry

Andy:

Many sporting companies used paid sponsors to help promote their wares.

A lot of these individuals do get some free optics, but also more than that.
They get help with travel and expenses while off doing their thing, whether at
a show or other activity.

Jerry

The camera guys also test equipment and provide unfiltered feedback which the managers believe.They are test pilots. I used to know a Canon «*explorer of light*» when I was a camera reviewer, and in person he was totally frank about the pros and cons of the Canon stuff. I think his real value to Canon was his subjective judgement of skin tone etc from the user perspective.

I wouln’t be surprised if the Zeiss «*ambassadors*» also gave feedback about the «*feel*» of the product eg. focus and diopter stiffness or subjective color while there is still time to tune it.

Last edited:
The camera guys also test equipment and provide unfiltered feedback which the managers believe.They are test pilots. I used to know a Canon «*explorer of light*» when I was a camera reviewer, and in person he was totally frank about the pros and cons of the Canon stuff. I think his real value to Canon was his subjective judgement of skin tone etc from the user perspective.

I wouln’t be surprised if the Zeiss «*ambassadors*» also gave feedback about the «*feel*» of the product eg. focus and diopter stiffness or subjective color while there is still time to tune it.

Exactly, the manufacturers need early real world feedback to avoid recalls/bad market reviews. Plus routine use by a respected professional is the best possible selling point.
That said, these early use ambassadors do not always ferret out all the potential weaknesses. For instance, the new flagship Canon R5 apparently overheats fairly quickly when shooting high resolution video, painfully so when working in summertime temperatures. Presumably the video aspect was not tested as intensively by Canon's current stable of 'ambassadors', who are perhaps more photography oriented.

Exactly, the manufacturers need early real world feedback to avoid recalls/bad market reviews. Plus routine use by a respected professional is the best possible selling point.
That said, these early use ambassadors do not always ferret out all the potential weaknesses. For instance, the new flagship Canon R5 apparently overheats fairly quickly when shooting high resolution video, painfully so when working in summertime temperatures. Presumably the video aspect was not tested as intensively by Canon's current stable of 'ambassadors', who are perhaps more photography oriented.

Of course everyone at Canon knew from the day the sensor was approved for production. Tuning was then out of the question. But people needed to retire :)

Talk about a company shooting themselves in the foot ...the pictures of the R5 in icebags were made BEFORE the camera was released for sale by people who were were given prerelease samples.

The binocular guys seem to do their tuning after about a year of production is my impression, and a couple of years later again after if people still complain - look at the Zeiss SF which went from gray to black with some mods and just now got better eyecups.

Edmund

Last edited:
So, sort of a free sales person for the brand.

Andy W.

One of the recent well known Ambassadors for Zeiss, here in the UK, was Simon King, a wildlife film maker. Had his name put to an exclusive range of Zeiss Victory 8 x 32 FLs. Appeared at the Zeiss stand at the Birdfair, and in many promotions and endorsements for the company. Not sure if he was involved in the launch of the SF in Europe.

There is nothing wrong at all with binocular spokesmen. This is part of a marketing effort, advertising,
by all companies.

And as a purchaser, you need to be attentive to your needs and preferences.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back