• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

3600 cad seems like a steal....that’s about what an sf will cost you. I figured they would be over 4000 easy.

Edit - I did some checking and I am flabbergasted to see that the SF‘s are actually several hundred dollars more than the NL’s in Canada

Sorry need to edit that 6's look like 8's they were 3800 at Nature Expert out of Montreal...even better pricing at Pelee Wings in Leamington but they have no stock on 10's or 12's they have 8's I think 3500 and change

Henry, when can we expect your test of this binocular? Always a pleasure to read your objective results.

Hi James,

Friday maybe. I haven't had a lot of time to work on the review, but the main holdup right now is getting a series of good star test photos. The two sides show somewhat different optical problems in a star-test. Each one needs several sets of focused and unfocused star images done at full aperture and stopped down to a few smaller apertures to fully illustrate what's going on. It's starting to feel like work. ;)

Henry

Hi James,

Friday maybe. I haven't had a lot of time to work on the review, but the main holdup right now is getting a series of good star test photos. The two sides show somewhat different optical problems in a star-test. Each one needs several sets of focused and unfocused star images done at full aperture and stopped down to a few smaller apertures to fully illustrate what's going on. It's starting to feel like work. ;)

Henry

Does it really matter what the star tests look like, if the views good?

Does it really matter what the star tests look like, if the views good?

Yes.

Some of us use binoculars to look at stars as well as birds (and rocks and trees and insects......) And if you have 20/10 vision (with corrective lenses) it matters a lot.

Stephanie

PS: Take your time Henry, we are looking forward to your well thought out review!

Yes.

Some of us use binoculars to look at stars as well as birds (and rocks and trees and insects......) And if you have 20/10 vision (with corrective lenses) it matters a lot.

Stephanie

PS: Take your time Henry, we are looking forward to your well thought out review!

I think you may have mis-read my question.
If the view is good, why does it matter?
It doesn't matter what you are looking at. If the view is good, It's good. It's just that I'm inclined to think that there are more variables in amateur testing than there are in the manufacture's of word class optics.
You can test and criticise, but at the end of the day. This is as good as it gets.

Hi James,

Henry

You couldn't knock out a Youtube review while you're about it?

That would be really appreciated too.

Actually i am a friend of 32mm binoculars. But i just sold my EL 32 and ordered the NL in 8 times with the forehead rest.
Does anybody know if i can continue to use the winged eye cups. I find These very useful.

@pepe: thanks for the answer
I guess i just have to try it out. I used it for the 32 and 42 bins and i hope they will fit for the NL.

I think you may have mis-read my question.
If the view is good, why does it matter?
It doesn't matter what you are looking at. If the view is good, It's good. It's just that I'm inclined to think that there are more variables in amateur testing than there are in the manufacture's of word class optics.
You can test and criticise, but at the end of the day. This is as good as it gets.

I understand your point and agree that the "view" is what matters. However the evaluation of the view by any particular user is highly subjective. The star test is a more objective test and when comparing binoculars it gives a sense of how the binoculars imaging performance might compare under various conditions. The star test is also good at detecting small manufacturing problems that can explain variations between individual binoculars.

Stephanie

I understand your point and agree that the "view" is what matters. However the evaluation of the view by any particular user is highly subjective. The star test is a more objective test and when comparing binoculars it gives a sense of how the binoculars imaging performance might compare under various conditions. The star test is also good at detecting small manufacturing problems that can explain variations between individual binoculars.

Stephanie

I am no expert on optics, however, I have read on the internet ( so it must be true ) lol. That some of the optics that are available today are capable of resolving more detail than the human eye can see.
Personally I have zero interest in star testing, like I said, there are too many variables for it to be reliable with amateur testing. Some people post pictures taken through their scopes and bins. Again, totally unreliable and meaningless. For star testing to be meaningful everything else that could possibly effect the result needs to be ruled out.
It would take a proper test rig, under controlled conditions, by experts in their field to conduct this. Star testing under strict controlled conditions would take minutes. Not days.

Ron

Last edited:
Feel free to ignore the review but there is often much more to Henry’s tests than just resolution....CA, glare, distortion patterns, internal build etc.

Personally, Henry’s tests are the reason I visit here, as they are, IMO, the most objective and least biased and I eagerly await every one. And I say that even after Henry was less than impressed with my most loved binocular.

Last edited:
I am no expert on optics, however, I have read on the internet ( so it must be true ) lol. That some of the optics that are available today are capable of resolving more detail than the human eye can see.
Personally I have zero interest in star testing, like I said, there are too many variables for it to be reliable with amateur testing. Some people post pictures taken through their scopes and bins. Again, totally unreliable and meaningless. For star testing to be meaningful everything else that could possibly effect the result needs to be ruled out.
It would take a proper test rig, under controlled conditions, by experts in their field to conduct this. Star testing under strict controlled conditions would take minutes. Not days.

Ron

Some very forceful assertions, without a shred of evidence to back them up.
But as he said, he read it on the internet so it must be true!

Stephanie and James,

Thanks for coming to the defense of me and everyone else who tries to provide objective information.

Ron,

If you can hold off until the review is posted you might find that it address some of your concerns and I'll be happy then to respond to any specific criticisms you have.

Henry

I can't be the only one that will be buy something without waiting for what anyone has to say about the item on the net. I have bought $100,000.00's of dollars worth of these types of things and all of it without any consent from the internet experts... Surely I am to the only one and have to be in the majority with very few that even look at a forum report..

Feel free to ignore the review but there is often much more to Henry’s tests than just resolution....CA, glare, distortion patterns, internal build etc.

Personally, Henry’s tests are the reason I visit here, as they are, IMO, the most objective and least biased and I eagerly await every one. And I say that even after Henry was less than impressed with my most loved binocular.

:t:

Agreed, his and a few others (Gijs, Holger, etc.) are some of the most well-reasoned and seemingly unbiased sources of information.

Bulbmogul: No, I'm sure you aren't the only one. But many of us prefer to make an informed decision, rather than just spending thousands of dollars on the "latest and greatest," particularly when we already have previous "latest and greatest" models that cost similarly large sums of money.
You've clearly shown you are in the later category of purchasers and have the disposable income to buy whatever you so please (regardless of need, etc.), which is just fine, but for many of us that is not the case. I use binoculars daily for work and pleasure so I of course want the best optics I can get, but also have to realize my wallet is not endless to buy whatever new item hits the shelves this day/month/year.

I personally like Allbinos reviews because they have the binoculars ranked numerically according to which is best. The top ranked binocular may not be best for you but if you try the top five your bound to find one you like and you can decide on a binocular based on what criteria are important to you. I usually agree with their results, and they are one of the more objective review sites. I have also found the old adage "You get what you pay for" holds true most of the time. So I try to buy the most expensive binocular I can get and that way I know it has to be pretty good.

Last edited:
I can't be the only one that will be buy something without waiting for what anyone has to say about the item on the net. I have bought $100,000.00's of dollars worth of these types of things and all of it without any consent from the internet experts... Surely I am to the only one and have to be in the majority with very few that even look at a forum report..

We talk / compare / test / debate about optics here...what are you here for?

James. What was your most loved binocular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back