• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Service Is Superb! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan B.

I have an SLC 7x30B, made in 1998. This is the early waterproof model, which like the 8x30 was fitted with simple coated optical glass to seal the objectives. Unlike all the 8x30s I handled, the 7x30, or at least mine, has a butter-smooth focus. I like it for its compactness and easy, if somewhat narrow, view.

The pre-Swarobright coatings rendered a yellowish cast. The original olive green armor was a very dated style. It never fogged up, but recently I noticed crystalline deposits inside the barrels. I contacted Swarovski, and they asked me to send it in. They said turnaround would be six to eight weeks. I got it back yesterday after three weeks, and it is a completely modernized binocular in perfect, new condition.

They replaced the outer glass on the objectives, and at least the outermost elements of the oculars. All of those are new, and the color rendition is now the same as on my 8x32 EL. The new armor is the last style that was used on the 8x30--sleek with forest green barrels and angled black covers over the hinge. They replaced the eyepieces, the focusing wheel, the diopter wheel, the objective covers, and the rainguard. The smoothness of the focus action was preserved.

At first I thought it couldn’t be the same binocular, but the serial number, which is stamped deeply on the underside of the metal hinge, is original.

I have had good service from Swarovski before, but this time they knocked it out of the park.

Last edited:
I think it’s great swaro does this but there is something to “originality”. What you have now is undoubtably better but it isn’t really the same model anymore.

I have many older bins and their more antiquated optics are part of the character and charm...all just IMO.

Perhaps, because you have a lot of optics, it's understandable that you might want to preserve some in their vintage condition. However, it sounds like the OP may not have so many binoculars from which to choose. Therefore, it would make sense for him to have Swarovski rebuild his old binoculars, especially since this model isn't a collector's item.

I would agree the Swarovski service was fantastic. I wonder if there was any cost for this. The OP didn't say.

I was not charged for the work, and I'm not the original owner, so technically it was not under warranty. However, I am a Swarovski customer and they have done other warranty work for me.

I do have vintage bins, which I use occasionally for birding. The SLC 7x30 is quite uncommon today, and the modifications turned this into what could be considered a "7x30 SLC Neu." I quite like it, and if they made these changes to mine, they have done it to others.

I was not charged for the work, and I'm not the original owner, so technically it was not under warranty. However, I am a Swarovski customer and they have done other warranty work for me.

I do have vintage bins, which I use occasionally for birding. The SLC 7x30 is quite uncommon today, and the modifications turned this into what could be considered a "7x30 SLC Neu." I quite like it, and if they made these changes to mine, they have done it to others.
Swaro warranty is life time and transferable, Swaro are not Nikon.

'Swaro warranty is life time and transferable, Swaro are not Nikon.'

I don't understand this. The warranty on my FPs is ten years, extended by 1year by registering them. I assume any work done free beyond this period is a goodwill gesture.

Ron

'Swaro warranty is life time and transferable, Swaro are not Nikon.'

I don't understand this. The warranty on my FPs is ten years, extended by 1year by registering them. I assume any work done free beyond this period is a goodwill gesture.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Swaro binos bought in the US from an authorized dealer have life-time warranty (when serviced by SONA). In the EU indeed the warranty is 10y only.
Peter

Hi Ron,
Swaro binos bought in the US from an authorized dealer have life-time warranty (when serviced by SONA). In the EU indeed the warranty is 10y only.
Peter
The warranty at the time my SLC was made may have been transferable, but it was not lifetime. It was for 30 years, as stated in the product manual included in the box. However, the warranty was not valid unless "this warranty/service document has been duly dated, stamped and signed by the authorized dealer on the day of purchase."

I acquired the binocular used around 2006, still in the original box. The warranty document was unsigned and in the box; I still have it. The dealer I purchased it from was (and still is) an authorized Swarovski dealer, but they were not the original seller and were unable to sign the documents. When I contacted Swarovski, I described the details of acquisition. I have no idea if that influenced their decision to proceed as if the bin was under warranty.

If current warranty policies are on Swarovski's website, I cannot find them. Aside from the matter of warranty, it appears that they still repair all or almost all binoculars made since 1983. They identify only Habicht DF binoculars made between 1948 and 1983 as products they no longer support.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back