• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Swarovision EL 8x32 vs Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 (1 Viewer)

dorubird

The unskilled mechanic blames his tools!
Romania
Common optical features:
1 Chromatic aberrations are similar in both binoculars, being present only on the edges in an acceptable proportion for me, but perhaps unacceptable for some.
2 The resolution on the center is excellent and is identical in both binoculars, resolving the same number of details.

Swarovski advantages:
OPTICAL
1 Swarovski has the clarity extended over the entire surface of FOV, and Nikon's clarity decreases starting with the last 20%.
2 The overall contrast of the image is much higher with Swarovski.
3 Nikon's colors have a slight yellowish tinge compared to Swarovski, which has a cooler but more natural shade!
4 The brightness is clearly higher with Swarovski, also counting the difference of 2 mm in the diameter of the lenses.
avantaj Swaro vs Nikon.JPG

MECHANICAL
1 Adjusting Swarovski eyecups is done with much smoother and more pleasant clicks. At Nikon, the adjustments are more jerky.
2 The lenses of the eyepieces are a bit larger (24mm vs 22mm) resulting in a more generous eye relief.
oculare EL vs HG.JPG

Nikon advantages:
OPTICAL
1 Even if the light resistance is almost similar between this two binoculars, it is still a little better with Nikon. It is a chapter where these binoculars are not great, but still in most cases not very annoying
reflexii HG vs EL.JPG
2 The field of view is a bit larger 8.3 degrees vs 8 degrees
3 The globe effect is evident with Swarovski, noting that the objects are visibly reduced when they are brought to the edges.
4 With Nikon I can focus very close, even at 1.7m, while with Swarovski only at 2.10m

MECHANICAL
1 Nikon dimensions are considerably smaller. The weight too. It is very small and light without feeling its presence in the backpack!
avantaj Nikon vs Swaro.JPG
2 The focus wheel moves very smoothly and accurately on Nikon, but on Swarovski it has a grainy feeling and moves more easily in one direction than the other, with a slight hesitation when changing direction.
3 The exterior finish is much better at Nikon because Swarovski has a serious problem (from factory, recognized by Swarovski) with the armor that became sticky and cracked. Yes is true, this even if the binoculars have been carefully cared and maintained, and used even less than the other binoculars!
crapatura Swaro.JPG

CONCLUSIONS
A binocular is judged as a package that includes all the advantages and disadvantages in one.
So, as a subjective feeling overall, Swarovski has the brighter and more contrasting image with a feeling of strong clarity even to the edges, somehow keeps you in tense feeling.
Swarovski EL 8x32.JPGInstead, Nikon has a opposite character, being more comfortable because it gives me a feeling of relaxation and naturalness when I look through it. Nikon Monarch HG 8x30.JPG
The image through Nikon is more gentle and enveloping and through Swarovski more aggressive and palpable.
I really like both binoculars for what they are!

Last edited:
Nice comparison. I can't give a really meaningful comment as I've not looked through an EL 8x32 in some time but I'm surprised you think the resolution and CA are similar. Going off memory I would give the edge to the EL for sure. I would expect it to be better, really, in all aspects except for stray light control, weight, and focuser... so yeah, it's interesting.

Lately I am playing with an SFL 8x30 which to me has a quality similar to what I recall of the EL 8x32 and superior to my MHG 8x30...

Anyways appreciate your posts as always.

Thx,
Clarity (contrast+ resolution) is higher in Swarovski. But this is only due to its higher contrast. Both binoculars resolve same number of resolution lines (details information). The distinction is made by the fact that, with Swarovski, these details have better contrast, creating the impression of clarity. Adding to this the higher luminosity, resulting a more striking image. However, I emphasize again that the resolution (details information) is the same.
Chromatic aberrations are quite subjective to appreciate. But I put the binoculars to my eyes right after each other, in the same lighting conditions, and I didn't see any differences

Thx,
Clarity (contrast+ resolution) is higher in Swarovski. But this is only due to its higher contrast. Both binoculars resolve same number of resolution lines (details information). The distinction is made by the fact that, with Swarovski, these details have better contrast, creating the impression of clarity. Adding to this the higher luminosity, resulting a more striking image. However, I emphasize again that the resolution (details information) is the same.
Chromatic aberrations are quite subjective to appreciate. But I put the binoculars to my eyes right after each other, in the same lighting conditions, and I didn't see any differences
Nice right up and as usual great photos. Are the EL‘s the SV version?

This cracking has to be dealt with by Swaro , it’s been going on long enough and needs a permanent solution.

I know exactly what you mean, the impression of clarity, it’s what jumps out with Swarovski. The Nikon’s and same with Leica‘s are easier on the eyes, and a softer image quality , but not soft in a bad way. On very bright days or with snow on the ground the Nikon and Leica’s can be more enjoyable.

The focuser can go either way, I’ve had some loose ones on a few MHG’s and I have some ELs now that are superb, although they all seem to have that slight more resistance in one direction.

Paul

A clear and pleasant transcription of your feelings with these 2 instruments !! Thx ! ;)

I was giving a choice of 4 or 5 binoculars to someone these last few days, including these Monarch... And i would like to know your thoughts on their eyecups... do they remain firmly fixed in all positions, with good mechanics ? Each position locks firmly or not ?...

Nice right up and as usual great photos. Are the EL‘s the SV version?

This cracking has to be dealt with by Swaro , it’s been going on long enough and needs a permanent solution.

I know exactly what you mean, the impression of clarity, it’s what jumps out with Swarovski. The Nikon’s and same with Leica‘s are easier on the eyes, and a softer image quality , but not soft in a bad way. On very bright days or with snow on the ground the Nikon and Leica’s can be more enjoyable.

The focuser can go either way, I’ve had some loose ones on a few MHG’s and I have some ELs now that are superb, although they all seem to have that slight more resistance in one direction.

Paul
I fogot to specify that it is about Swarovision version! I will put in the description!

I was giving a choice of 4 or 5 binoculars to someone these last few days, including these Monarch... And i would like to know your thoughts on their eyecups... do they remain firmly fixed in all positions, with good mechanics ? Each position locks firmly or not ?...
When pressed very hard they remain firm, even firmer than Swarovski. But you feel the click silkier with Swarovski when you change position clicks (more pleasant mechanical feeling)
Thank you all!

Last edited:
these Monarch... And i would like to know your thoughts on their eyecups... do they remain firmly fixed in all positions, with good mechanics ? Each position locks firmly or not ?...

I’ve never had mine shift on me and I put them up and down for use between sunglasses or not a lot. Seem pretty good quality to me, though unfortunately not removable (or so I believe) if they break.

The eyecup quality is very good at HG. I only made some remarks about the feeling of their movement compared to Swarovski EL. But at HG they move very firmly and remain in their positions as well. Overall for me mechanically, Nikon HG 8x30 is much better than Swarovski EL 8x32
Seem pretty good quality to me, though unfortunately not removable (or so I believe) if they break.
Yes, Nikon HG series does not have detachable eyepiece cups. It needs peeling eyecups, then loosening a few screws to remove eyecups.
Hi Felix,

As a starting point I tried good old IAEFRTM i.e. 'If all else fails read the manual'!
However, it doesn't provide an easy solution:
There’s no indication that the eyecups are removable - and it cautions against exposing the binocular to running water.
(the manual can be found at: Nikon | Download center | MONARCH HG )

- -
However, the problem has been raised before and Brian on Rokslide offers the following:

'The rubber cups are glued to the underlying plastic barrels. Carefully peel the cups off.
Then you can access the 3 TINY phillips head screws that retain the plastic barrels to the ocular housings.
Work over a tray to capture the VERY small screws & detent pads. You'll need a phillips screwdriver for eyeglasses.
The rubber eyecups will need to be re-glued with contact cement.
It's really not that difficult but is a bit tedious.'
(see at: Eye cup cleaning on Nikon Monarch HG )

So you could try the above. Or as the manual advises: 'To keep your binoculars in excellent condition, regular servicing by authorized dealer is recommended’.

John

Really! An HG 8x30 compared to an EL SV 8x32. You are trying to compare a binocular that is 2x as expensive as the other one. They are not even close. No how, no way. Remember you get what you pay for.

Yes, really! So good it is Nikon HG!!! Of course, EL is better in some aspects. But HG it is comparable to Swarovski EL 8x32 and even better in other aspects. I was quite explicit in the optical and mechanical comparisons where is better HG and where is better EL! Nikon HG is one of the best 8x30!

Last edited:
Yes, I showed in the comparison that EL has higher contrast and brightness with clarity right to the edges. Which is no small thing, of course. But that does not mean that it is completely superior opticaly to HG, which has a larger field of view, greater resistance to glare, and does not have the globe effect so pronounced that it shrinks objects on the edges like EL. And for me HG is much more comfortable to look through!

Yes, I showed in the comparison that EL has higher contrast and brightness with clarity right to the edges. Which is no small thing, of course. But that does not mean that it is completely superior opticaly to HG, which has a larger field of view, greater resistance to glare, and does not have the globe effect so pronounced that it shrinks objects on the edges like EL. And for me HG is much more comfortable to look through!
A Nikon HG 8x30 is a good little binocular but an EL SV 8x32 is one of the best birding binoculars ever made and IMO it is preferable over even the NL 8x32 because it is smaller and more compact. Comparing a Nikon HG 8x30 to an EL SV 8x32 is like comparing a $20K Ford to a $40K Mercedes.

They are not in the same class build quality wise or optically. As far as glare, I always found the HG to have much more glare than the EL, although the EL isn't perfect. The HG has a larger FOV, but it doesn't have as much usable FOV because it is much softer on the edges than the EL, which is tack sharp to the edge.
I never saw any significant RB in any of my EL SV 8x32's either. In every area the EL beats the HG optically, and it should for 2x the price.

I don't think the Nikon HG 8x30 is the best 8x30. Far from it. The Swarovski CL 8x30 is much superior 8x30, with much sharper edges, way less glare, less astigmatism, way less distortion, and less coma. Allbinos agrees also. The Swarovski CL 8x30 is ranked 6th in the 8x32's and the lowly Nikon HG 8x30 is ranked 16th. Saying the Nikon HG 8x30 is the best 8x30 is very biased and is just your personal opinion and now trying to compare it to the Swarovski EL SV 8x32 you have gone off the deep end.

Just because the HG is best for you doesn't mean it is the best 8x30. Many people, including me, that don't wear glasses can't even use it without getting blackouts because the eye cups are too short for the eye relief and I always found it to be one of the worst glare monsters out there.

Last edited:
A Nikon HG 8x30 is a good little binocular but an EL SV 8x32 is one of the best birding binoculars ever made and IMO it is preferable over even the NL 8x32 because it is smaller and more compact. Comparing a Nikon HG 8x30 to an EL SV 8x32 is like comparing a $20K Ford to a $40K Mercedes.

They are not in the same class build quality wise or optically. As far as glare, I always found the HG to have much more glare than the EL, although the EL isn't perfect. The HG has a larger FOV, but it doesn't have as much usable FOV because it is much softer on the edges than the EL, which is tack sharp to the edge.
I never saw any significant RB in any of my EL SV 8x32's either. In every area the EL beats the HG optically, and it should for 2x the price.

I don't think the Nikon HG 8x30 is the best 8x30. Far from it. The Swarovski CL 8x30 is much superior 8x30, with much sharper edges, way less glare, less astigmatism, way less distortion, and less coma. Allbinos agrees also. The Swarovski CL 8x30 is ranked 6th in the 8x32's and the lowly Nikon HG 8x30 is ranked 16th. Saying the Nikon HG 8x30 is the best 8x30 is very biased and is just your personal opinion and now trying to compare it to the Swarovski EL SV 8x32 you have gone off the deep side.

Just because the HG is best for you doesn't mean it is the best 8x30. Many people, including me, that don't wear glasses can't even use it without getting blackouts because the eye cups are too short for the eye relief and I always found it to be one of the worst glare monsters out there.

I guess you haven’t bought a car in a long time. The Ford is more like $25-$30,000, and the Mercedes is more like $60- $75,000. But I fully understand your analogy.

There might be reasons that somebody would prefer the monarch HG, Nikon definitely for me is easier on the eyes, like Leica. But I don’t think the monarch HG optically is in the same class as the EL. To me the EL is shaper, brighter, details pop a bit more , and even though the FOV is smaller , the sweet spot is pretty close considering the edge fall off in the MHG with their so-called field flattener.

Comparing a Nikon HG 8x30 to an EL SV 8x32 is like comparing a $20K Ford to a $40K Mercedes. They are not in the same class.

They are not in the same class build quality wise or optically.
Yes, they are not in the same class... the Nikon MHG is mechanically better even if it is cheaper!!!! The Japanese know how to make quality even at a lower price.

And for glare: Swaro EL is more prone to glare than MHG
And for compactness: MHG is smaller and more compact than EL
And of course it was my subjective opinion when I said that MHG is one of the best 8x30 (and Swaro EL is among them as well). By the way, everything I wrote or write obviously are my opinions, not others or allbinos opinions. Based on a direct side-by-side comparison, not data from tables taken from memory (like allbinos)

Last edited:
Can you expand a bit on “The image ……. is more gentle and enveloping”?
Many times words like clarity, brightness, contrast are not enough to create the sensation in front of the eyepieces. For this I took the help of more metaphorical words to express more better what I see in the eyepieces with these two binoculars. Let's try another way:
Looking through EL due to the strong contrast and clarity to the edges makes me captivated by all the details in the frame without my eyes being able to fix easily on a single detail, being attracted by the multitude of details in the FOV. There is some kind of tension/activity in EL FOV! On the other hand, the details are present in MHG also, but do not drag the eye to see them in all directions! Looking through the MHG gives me a much more relaxed feeling. My eye is no longer bombarded by details from all sides, but can rest on the center where I look. Also, the warmer colors of MHG contribute to this much calmer image (gentle and enveloping). I hope I was a little clearer now :)

FWIW, the preaching on how the most expensive ones are best is so repetitive and tedious. Not everybody sees it that way. And no one is an authority in these matters - the only place binos are definitively best or worst is inside your own head :)

In my little world the EL's are not useable, the design of the body and focuser, and gouged barrels, fieldpro, seems totally befuddling to me....like who would want to use this? I can't even hold them comfortably. The glass is good? Yes, but I barely noticed. All IMHO of course, but I'm not the only one.

Yes, you get what you pay for, and I get what I pay for, and the two are very different things :):)

FWIW, the preaching on how the most expensive ones are best is so repetitive and tedious. Not everybody sees it that way. And no one is an authority in these matters - the only place binos are definitively best or worst is inside your own head :)

In my little world the EL's are not useable, the design of the body and focuser, and gouged barrels, fieldpro, seems totally befuddling to me....like who would want to use this? I can't even hold them comfortably. The glass is good? Yes, but I barely noticed. All IMHO of course, but I'm not the only one.

Yes, you get what you pay for, and I get what I pay for, and the two are very different things :):)
So, just out of vulgar curiosity, what did you choose instead of the EL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back