• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Swarovision EL 8x32 vs Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 (3 Viewers)

My opinions are based on my direct side-by-side comparison also. I just use Allbinos to support them because I often agree with them. I am sorry, but there is no way the Nikon MHG 8x30 is mechanically better than the Swarovski EL SV 8x32. The MHG even looks cheaper, and I would wager if you disassembled each binocular, you would see a noticeable difference in the quality of the internal components.

Everybody sees glare differently, and you said your self it occurs under different circumstances, so you could see more glare in the EL than the HG. When I had the EL I would only see glare in certain situations like looking up at steep angles, but with the MHG I saw veiling glare almost everywhere, which would cover the entire FOV. The reason the MHG has so much glare is the tubes are not blackened well at all. Look at the light reflections in these two pictures of the exit pupils of the MHG tubes from Allbinos.

I agree the MHG is smaller and more compact, after all it is an 8x30 and isn't really trying to compete with an EL 8x32 for size. Swarovski isn't trying to compete with the Nikon MHG 8x30 with their EL 8x32 the CL 8x30 is the Nikon's competitor, and it beats it in most ways outside of FOV and close focus.
View attachment 1533645View attachment 1533646
You are tributary to some preconceptions and it can be seen ... Allbinos rarely puts two binoculars next to each other consecutively on the same day to look under the same conditions with them. Allbinos not tried these binoculars side by side in a same day and circumstance. They have some tables with the results of binoculars that have been tested over the years. If you strictly follow the results in these tables, sometimes you can draw unrealistic conclusions regarding binocular comparisons (this is also what allbinos say, that their results must be taken with great subjectivity). A less subjective comparison is the one in which two binoculars are placed face to face on the same days, not from memory tables report (especially for glare and chromatic aberrations). For example, you can see in my picture how the exit pupil of the Swarovski EL 8x32 is surrounded by many more and more stronger reflections than the MHG 8x30. You have show me the exit pupil of HG from albinos, but you don't show me the much worse exit pupil of EL (also in allbinos photo). I'll let you guess which one has more glare in reality, in the most difficult different lighting situations!
Let's discuss the real comparison, not from the allbinos "phone book"! ;) I don't know what Swarovski looks like inside, I didn't disassemble any, but from the outside, by touching and feeling I'm convinced that it's not better build quality than MHG. For example an important mechanical aspect of a pair of binoculars is the focus wheel. This wheel is our interface with binoculars, if it is not good, it has no importance if inside it is made of titanium sprinkled with swarovski crystals or stardust. The focus is more playful at EL and more edgy than MHG. That shows me that the mechanics of this EL binocular are nowhere near at the level of its price. Is simple! I like Swarovski EL very much, but in this top class I have every right to be very critical with the smallest problems honestly observed (which at a close look are not really small).
In conclusion, what is the name of the mechanics of binoculars that have a degradable sticky finish and unstable focus? ...but answer honestly, without looking at the fact it has a big price, big score on allbinos and big name (called Swarovski or Zeiss or Leica). I know how you will react and that's why I'm stopping here!

Last edited:
You could have seen it from my review as well, that I like the Swaro EL 8x32 for its surreal palpable clarity and luminosity
Swarovski advantages:
OPTICAL
1 Swarovski has the clarity extended over the entire surface of FOV, and Nikon's clarity decreases starting with the last 20%.
2 The overall contrast of the image is much higher with Swarovski.
3 Nikon's colors have a slight yellowish tinge compared to Swarovski, which has a cooler but more natural shade!
4 The brightness is clearly higher with Swarovski, also counting the difference of 2 mm in the diameter of the lenses.

Swarovski has the brighter and more contrasting image with a feeling of strong clarity even to the edges, somehow keeps you in tense feeling.

The image through Nikon is more gentle and enveloping and through Swarovski more aggressive and palpable.
I really like both binoculars for what they are!

Dorubird have you seen any Eurasian hobbies (Falco subbuteo - Șoimul rândunelelor) recently?
I haven't seen him recently. I saw and also took some photos with Falco subbuteo a few years ago at my street in a tree.. He was chased away by some crows!

[email protected]

There is no point in repeating what I already wrote in my review about EL's clarity, did you read my review? Or you repeat exactly what I said without you realizing it.
Swarovski advantages:
OPTICAL
1 Swarovski has the clarity extended over the entire surface of FOV, and Nikon's clarity decreases starting with the last 20%.
2 The overall contrast of the image is much higher with Swarovski.
3 Nikon's colors have a slight yellowish tinge compared to Swarovski, which has a cooler but more natural shade!
4 The brightness is clearly higher with Swarovski, also counting the difference of 2 mm in the diameter of the lenses.

Both are fantastic binoculars not only EL! You like EL better than MHG because of the fantastic clarity from the center to the edges of FOV and due the much higher brightness than MHG. Very nice! I agree and that's why I like EL too! We are agree that the clarity and brightness of Sw EL is higher than MHG! Ok, I already wrote this in my review, and that's why I like EL as well as you! But that's only half of story. Don't you want listening the second half story?...

here it is:
Instead, I appreciate the MHG more than EL due to the ease of viewing, due the larger field of view, due the power remains the same from the center to the edges of FOV without shrinking the objects when panning, due more decent resistance to stray light than the EL, due the silkier and more accurate focus, due the body extremely compact, due durable and quality finish, due closer focus...
I don't judge binoculars only in terms of clarity, I judge a pair of binoculars in their overall package (mechanical and optical) and in the general feeling, and thus I like MHG more than EL. I wrote why in my review! I know that Swarovski is part of a different price category, and I agree with that! But that makes EL much more responsible when it comes to build quality. The fact that EL belong to top category does not do it justice, because it has mechanical and optical failures for this top class, that MHG does not have even being in a lower class. (poorer focus than MHG, sticky armor/ glare more obvious than MHG).
Ultimately, everyone should stay with the binoculars they like, exactly as you said!

I think you have to compare apples to apples and the Swaro EL is not an apple. Compare the CL to the MHG and have more of a comparison and even at that, it really comes down to personal taste and feel and look.

Chalk me up for the MHG on a personal basis though.

Astonishingly, I find myself in complete agreement with Dennis.
on which rant? getting lost here :D I went to the bird-store sale to buy 8.5x42 EL's and I came out a couple days later w/ 8x42 SF's. (I dismissed NL Pure due to $$). At the time it was for the smooth focuser and the grip/hold factor, but the optics have really impressed me, especially after checking them out for astronomy. I liked the EL optics for being similar to Nikons - flat field, no false color, and not too wide.

I thought about this more - in astronomy we endlessly debate which refractor lenses have the absolute best optics. But I see binoculars as more of a package of mechanics and optics. In astronomy, all the refractor tubes, the focusers, are very similar, and the mount is a totally separate product. With binos, the focusers and mechanical bodies are all different, and part of the same package as the glass.

For birdwatching, if I"m not comfortable holding the thing, the glass doesn't even matter. That's why it seems silly to parse every little difference in optics over & over to me. All the glass in binoculars over $500 is pretty good these days, but there are huge differences in the bodies and focusers. You can't tell someone which one they'll like better.

For the 8x32 EL/8x30 MHG niche, I"ve actually filled it with a pair of 1980's Nikon 7x35's, at 19 ounces. They're super easy to carry and comfortable in the hands. Don't feel any need to spend more money, I"ll bring the 8x42 SF's if I want better glass. (and there's no money left because I spent it on 56mm binos and other porros too :))

Last edited:
The Nikon MHG 8x30 are nice little binoculars, but for me not wearing eyeglasses, they are similar to the Zeiss Victory 8x25's in that the eye cups are not long enough for the eye relief with my somewhat shallow eye sockets.

This results in having to float them over my eye sockets to avoid massive black-outs. I would imagine many people without deep eye sockets have similar problems, and I have heard many comments about this.

It is a deal killer for these unless you could find after market eye cups that would extend the eye cup length. Until then, they don't work for me and a lot of other users.
I had the same issue with blackouts with the 30’s. I could get it right but it was to much work every time I put it up to my eyes having to position it just right not to have the blackouts. The EL’s for me are on a completely different level of comfort, they’re almost like a Nikon EDG, I just put them up to my eyes and I’m in. A very forgiving eye box.

Paul

Yes, for those who do not wear glasses like you, I am convinced that this MHG can give some blackout problems. For that, even I, a glass wearer, must to extend eyecups one stop. But in this position it works great for me. Even so, I continue to see all their beautiful large FOV up to the black field stop.

Yes, for those who do not wear glasses like you, I am convinced that this MHG can give some blackout problems. For that, even I, a glass wearer, must to extend eyecups one stop. But in this position it works great for me. Even so, I continue to see all their beautiful large FOV up to the black field stop.
Understood Dorubird, completely agree things are completely different if one needs to wear eyeglasses with binoculars. Please somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there is more going on here with the HG 30’s than just eye relief. I think it has to do with the design of the oculars more than eye relief. At slightly over 16mm it should be fine most everyone. I have no issues with the UV 32’s that have less eye relief ,and of course I would have more of an issue once it gets passed 20mm, to much eye relief.

Could it have something to do with the short focal length and the ocular design combined. I have no issues with the HG 42’s , both of those are extremely comfortable for me. Is this a similar issue that some have with the Nikon SE’s?

Paul

The solution to beans & blackouts in my 8X32 SF was don’t stick them so far into your eyesockets.

It had absolutely nothing to do with the binocular, and was a completely user-induced “problem”.

Given a choice, many folks will blame an inanimate object, rather than themselves.

Dos anyone remember the uproar when Steve Jobs said “You’re holding it wrong”?

Last edited:
The solution to beans & blackouts in my 8X32 SF was don’t stick them so far into your eyesockets.
It had absolutely nothing to do with the binocular, and was a completely user-induced “problem”.
Maljunulo,

This is true more times than not, and probably true many times with the MHG 30’s. But for some, I’m one, it has nothing to do with adjustments. It has to do with some combinations of things , persons face, ocular design, etc. etc. I don’t know.
Given a choice, many folks will blame an inanimate object, rather than themselves.
So true!
Dos anyone remember the uproar when Steve Jobs said “You’re holding it wrong”
Just avoid gripping your IPhone 4 at the lower left of the phone 😜. I remember it well.

Paul

Last edited:
I pay but I dont get! Because, from a binocular of a "top super alpha mega higher class", I expected more mechanical quality, not less like in this EL case!

Dos anyone remember the uproar when Steve Jobs said “You’re holding it wrong”?
That works if you need just a small adjustment, but if the eye cups are way too short you end up having to float them away from your face, like I did when I tried two different Nikon MHG 8x30's. That was a deal killer for me on the MHG, and I heard a lot of comment from other users that don't wear glasses that had the same problem.

I would imagine you could get some aftermarket eye cups to solve the issue, but I didn't think it was worth the hassle. I wonder if the Zeiss SFL 8x30 has eye cups that more closely match the eye relief and would allow us shallow eye socket birder's to use them without blackouts. The 8x30 format is nice and compact and light for a hiking binocular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back