• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Swarovision EL 8x32 vs Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 (4 Viewers)

Are you specifically saying the lack of quality is all just the issues with the armor?
Yes this lack of quality of armor in this price categorie!
There would be also focus rotation, but I can get used to this focus lack of quality over time! Otherwise clarity and brightness at Swaro EL is superb and top notch, I say it again and I will say it again! But that doesn't stop me from liking MHG and comparing it to EL. I know that, theoretically, they are from other price categories, but practically, if I had to choose only one from these two, it would be MHG, but not for the lower price, that comes as a bonus. MHG suits me better due accumulation of subjective and objective reasons listed in my first post...
This discussion was constantly maintained by denco, but I see that he is constantly deleting his messages now. Anyway, the discussion was pointless! Only this long discussion made me seem more rigid than I am. However, I am so flexible and I already concluded that:
I really like both binoculars for what they are!
Peace!

Last edited:
This discussion was constantly maintained by denco, but I see that he is constantly deleting his messages now.
I for one find it rather odd that denco is constantly deleting his messages . I can't prove anything because he's deleted everything lol .

Yes this lack of quality of armor in this price categorie!
There would be also focus rotation, but I can get used to this focus lack of quality over time! Otherwise clarity and brightness at Swaro EL is superb and top notch, I say it again and I will say it again! But that doesn't stop me from liking MHG and comparing it to EL. I know that, theoretically, they are from other price categories, but practically, if I had to choose only one from these two, it would be MHG, but not for the lower price, that comes as a bonus. MHG suits me better due accumulation of subjective and objective reasons listed in my first post...
This discussion was constantly maintained by denco, but I see that he is constantly deleting his messages now. Anyway, the discussion was pointless! Only this long discussion made me seem more rigid than I am. However, I am so flexible and I already concluded that:

Peace!
No arguments from me Dorubird, I was just interested in your reasoning, and I get it. It’s very disconcerting the issue with the armor on some of the most expensive binoculars on the market (although EL32 discontinued). As far as what one likes better regardless of price , is what it’s all about.

As far as the focusers are concerned between the two , I’ve used a few of each where some on the HG were sloppy/loose and/or had some grungy feel and vice versa. So in my experience there’s a lot of variation. With a good example of each (not the exceptions) both seem very good to me. The Swaro are smooth, little more like Ultravids though , a little dry, but there is that slight difference in weight in each direction. Whereas the HG is equal in each direction, lighter and has a smoother overall feel. I’d ad that things change up a bit when you get into temperatures below freezing. The Nikons get real stiff, which I don’t experimece with the Swaros, but then again that’s a minute difference because I hate glassing in that weather.

No doubt I understand what you mean, easier on the eyes, although I like the Swaro image quality, I still enjoy the easier viewing with Leica and Nikons.

Dennis deleting posts is nothing unusual, as he encounters his own contradictions from week to week or month to month, or runs into a wall when trying change others opinions , he taps out. I myself delete posts on rare occasions when I realize it didn’t ad to the conversation ,or was being a horses butt. More people should exercise the delete feature 😝.

Paul

Last edited:
MHG suits me better due accumulation of subjective and objective reasons listed in my first post...
Your insightful posts in this thread are greatly appreciated and helpful. Have you used the 10x42 HG's? Am considering buying a pair given their generous FOV, low weight, and price. Thanks.

Your insightful posts in this thread are greatly appreciated and helpful. Have you used the 10x42 HG's? Am considering buying a pair given their generous FOV, low weight, and price. Thanks.
I can throw my two cents in here. I’ve had all four of them, I get along very well with the 42’s, I kept the 8x , and it’s one of my favorites. The 10x is excellent as well, a touch more CA than the 8’s, but that could be said for many manufacturers lineups. Just like the 30’s, the 42’s are one of the most compact and lightest on the market. I believe they’re might be a tad lighter than the Zeiss SFL, and imo they’re built nicer than the Zeiss. You can’t go wrong with MHG, great glass , nice build, light and compact , what’s not to like. 😃

Hers a few pictures with the EDG and Leica retros.

Paul

Attachments

• 9A94231C-2EA9-4BD4-9439-7388D5A1F6AB.png
    9A94231C-2EA9-4BD4-9439-7388D5A1F6AB.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 17530B0F-9B3F-4F0B-8CC3-0908B0FEC742.png
    17530B0F-9B3F-4F0B-8CC3-0908B0FEC742.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 097ABBC8-B107-4E44-BBDF-A4567D061CB0.png
    097ABBC8-B107-4E44-BBDF-A4567D061CB0.png
    6 MB · Views: 18
  • 80830BB9-5DD6-483C-BA6B-47EE8F2609BF.png
    80830BB9-5DD6-483C-BA6B-47EE8F2609BF.png
    6 MB · Views: 19
I can throw my two cents in here. I’ve had all four of them, I get along very well with the 42’s, I kept the 8x , and it’s one of my favorites. The 10x is excellent as well, a touch more CA than the 8’s, but that could be said for many manufacturers lineups. Just like the 30’s, the 42’s are one of the most compact and lightest on the market. I believe they’re might be a tad lighter than the Zeiss SFL, and imo they’re built nicer than the Zeiss. You can’t go wrong with MHG, great glass , nice build, light and compact , what’s not to like. 😃

Paul

Paul
A big thank you. Exactly the information I needed. Great comparative photos!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back