• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski upgrade (1 Viewer)

tigglestiger

Hi all,

Some advice required please.

I currently have a pair of Barr & Stroud Skyline 8 x 42 (came in a Dummies guide to Bird watching kit) I have been thinking of upgrading to a pair of Swaro CL 10 x 30 – can anyone tell me if there would be a noticeable difference in imagine quality, I assume there should be due to the fact they are £700 more expensive.

Any tips or advice gratefully received.

G

For £700 there are an almost endless array of binoculars to choose from. Get yourself down to a decent optics shop and try out all and sundry. The CLs will certainly be better than your current pair but the world is your oyster so don't jump in before trying out lots of possibilities.

Hi all,

Some advice required please.

I currently have a pair of Barr & Stroud Skyline 8 x 42 (came in a Dummies guide to Bird watching kit) I have been thinking of upgrading to a pair of Swaro CL 10 x 30 – can anyone tell me if there would be a noticeable difference in imagine quality, I assume there should be due to the fact they are £700 more expensive.

Any tips or advice gratefully received.

G

Hi Tig

Swaro CLs have their fans on here and they are fine bins. My view of them is that they do not reach the heights of Swaros other bins but there are others that would dispute this. I am telling you this story to illustrate that the best judge of an upgrade is you, with your eyes and your hands. Try before you buy is what everyone here would advise.

I would recommend you try Zeiss Conquest HDs alongside the CLs.

Good luck

Lee

Hi Tig

I would recommend you try Zeiss Conquest HDs alongside the CLs.

Good luck

Lee

Or the vortex viper HD.. or some second hand Leica ultravids.... There is a lot to choose from at that price point, especially if you are willing ot look at second hand. As someone has already mentioned, the best bet is to try a few for yourself. As a case in point I had been craving some Zeiss 8x32 FL's (highly rated by all and sundry) for sometime and finally purchased a pair but couldn't get on with them. I then picked up a second hand pair of Leica 8x32 ultravids and they immediately felt perfect.

If possible get along to an optics field event somewhere - here you'll find a good selection to look at. In focus have events at Lea valley country park and Bury St Edmonds if they are close enough to you and I'm sure a quick google will throw up a few more.

Good luck - it's good fun - though expensive - searching for the perfect bin!

Perry

Thank you all for the advice, may have been caught up on the name and the second hand market could well be worth exploring!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am now the proud owner of some CL 10x30's first impression are great and I am looking forward to using them over the summer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back