• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New EL 8.5 Soft bag bag no case? (1 Viewer)

Maximox

I've just purchased some new New EL 8.5 W B online from Wilkinsons cameras which state they are the field Pro W B. I'd read some reviews dating back to a 2015 revision which I assumed was the latest model. However in the box there's no hard case just a soft pouch. I guess your paying for the optics but Im a little disappointed that they don't come with a strong carry case especially at this kind of price. On Swarovski's site it does say "storage bag" for the EL's now which I assume is literally just the little soft bag I got with mine. Im just wondering if anyone who's purchased recently got the same.

Besides that the bin's are really nice! I recently upgraded from an older pair of Hawke Frontier ED 10x36 to Bushnell Forge 10x42 but they broke within a month so I changed them out for the Hawke ED X 10x42 which are nice and have a great FOV but I felt like they lacked that pop I was looking for. I was tempted by the Nikon HG's but I thought spending nearly 1K on bins I might aswel spend that bit more and get a pair that are going to last me for years to come.

Yes this appears this is the way forward, and there was a thread on this topic but I could not locate it. From what I remember another person had either sent in a defective SV 10X42? and he got a replacement with the new case (soft bag). He was able to get a proper case from the dealer or direct from Swarovski ( not sure which) because he had a case on the one he previously sent in.
If you want a case I would keep an eye out for a Swarovski case at the right price.

Yes this appears this is the way forward, and there was a thread on this topic but I could not locate it. From what I remember another person had either sent in a defective SV 10X42? and he got a replacement with the new case (soft bag). He was able to get a proper case from the dealer or direct from Swarovski ( not sure which) because he had a case on the one he previously sent in.
If you want a case I would keep an eye out for a Swarovski case at the right price.
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to double check that there wasn't something I missed and there was different versions or something. I've found they fit perfectly into a small shoulder camera bag I've had for years now. I've used it for binoculars before so I was hoping they'd fit nicely. it's got a little extra storage too so it should do me fine just to protect them as I wouldn't like them bashing around in the car. I've also got some hard cases from previous binoculars knocking about so I can use them but they fit quite snug in this bag so Im more than happy with that. Still seems a bit of a cop out considering the price but there seems to be random things like this in the alpha brands.

Yes it does seem lean to charge that price and not get a case. I have seen this with lower priced glass, but not at this premium price. I know they lowered the price of the SV 42s, but the no case issue was a bit sneaky IMO. At least you are happy with them.

Do any of you remember the Swarovski case from the older SLC x 56s or El 50s? My gosh that was a nice case! It was huge!

The next iteration fit better but did not zip open all the way, not as good.

Now you get a quality draw string bag to blow your nose or wipe your butt when in nature or collect leaves, but certainly not to keep your binoculars safe.

Even the new NL Pure bag is a bit of a joke, there's not much room to keep your bins in with a strap on. I think they were going for a hip style.

I remember that feeling when opening a set of new Els and seeing them just resting on the cheap box cutout just devalued the unboxing experience, not to mention the transportation security of the glass.

I now just use a nice camera bag for my binoculars which is way more practical and you can easily keep your accessories with you. I just always hope that bag doesn't go missing or I'm in major trouble.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back