• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift ID Whitburn Co.Durham (6 Viewers)

For want of a skin...here is a close up of a fresh juv Common Swift in the hand -Its still got its fine white tips, glossy dark subterminal band and unglossy base (exposed in some cases)

So that is two alternative mechanisms by which the bases of the feathers could be or could appear to be paler on Common Swift

I have this afternoon been attempting to arrange a visit to the New Walk Museum in Leicester in order to photograph some skins from their vast collection...and it would be easier to arrange to see the flippin Pope...[not that i'd really want to see him]...B :)

I will persist however as i am intrigued...:cat:

ps...i bet if i had said that i was David Attenborough they'd have jumped about a bit quicker...:smoke:

Not really the museums fault...cutbacks to staff etc...hard times...etc

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

I have this afternoon been attempting to arrange a visit to the New Walk Museum in Leicester in order to photograph some skins from their vast collection...and it would be easier to arrange to see the flippin Pope...[not that i'd really want to see him]...B :)

I will persist however as i am intrigued...:cat:

ps...i bet if i had said that i was David Attenborough they'd have jumped about a bit quicker...:smoke:

Not really the museums fault...cutbacks to staff etc...hard times...etc

you ought to try the beloved Hobbies if you can get in- they are one of my favourites for the lighting effect Jane describes: mantle and wing coverts are plain blue/grey as far as I know, but can look practically barred if the light hits them just so

http://reddeparquesnacionales.mma.es/parques/donana/fauna/fauna018.htma

you ought to try the beloved Hobbies if you can get in- they are one of my favourites for the lighting effect Jane describes: mantle and wing coverts are plain blue/grey as far as I know, but can look practically barred if the light hits them just so

Perhaps i should set up a 'Mission Impossible' team who have all the necessary skills to enter the museum...[or maybe just use a battering ram]...;)

Seriously tho Ed...interesting what you say about our beloved Hobbies and the lighting effects..

Thinking about it...i might spend...[when i can get in]!..quite some time photographing different species under different lighting/directions etc...i reckon it would be most illuminating...in more ways than one...:cat:

ps...i like your master-plan Jane..:t:

I have a theory which would need a trip to museums and possibly a good travel budet to test, to explain why we have trouble with November Swifts.

1. The real pattern of juv underpart feathers (BWP, Witherby and photos in the hand - attached again) is a narrow white terminal edge, a glossy sub terminal band and a matt base. There is also a suggestion that the matt base maybe less dark.

2. The white tips wear off really quickly(weeks) according to references.The glossy band will wear too, more slowly (my supposition)

3. Body moult of Swifts starts in Dec (complete) so in Nov juv Swifts will be at their most worn (and we don't usually see them)

4. If the glossy tips reduce in size, more of the matt bases will show, giving a more scaled appearance. This would be less marked than Pallid, but in a strong low (Nov) light the effect might be quite similar.

Does thatsound bonkers?

Attachments

• juv swiftclose1.jpg
    juv swiftclose1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 70
  • wear.jpg
    wear.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I have a theory which would need a trip to museums and possibly a good travel budet to test, to explain why we have trouble with November Swifts.

Does thatsound bonkers?

Hi Jane
I don't know if this is of any help, this scaly Common Swift picture was taken in June in Southern France. Another question in this bird is why the innermost secondaries (or tertials) are much blacker than the rest of the wing.

Attachments

• apusapus.jpg
    apusapus.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 229
Hi Jane
I don't know if this is of any help, this scaly Common Swift picture was taken in June in Southern France. Another question in this bird is why the innermost secondaries (or tertials) are much blacker than the rest of the wing.

I'd need to check upon the moult sequences, but its likely that the inner secondaries have been replaced more recently.

1. The real pattern of juv underpart feathers (BWP, Witherby and photos in the hand - attached again) is a narrow white terminal edge, a glossy sub terminal band and a matt base. There is also a suggestion that the matt base maybe less dark.

2. The white tips wear off really quickly(weeks) according to references.The glossy band will wear too, more slowly (my supposition)

3. Body moult of Swifts starts in Dec (complete) so in Nov juv Swifts will be at their most worn (and we don't usually see them)

4. If the glossy tips reduce in size, more of the matt bases will show, giving a more scaled appearance. This would be less marked than Pallid, but in a strong low (Nov) light the effect might be quite similar.

Does thatsound bonkers?

seems to be about the size of it- with one of the main consequences being that a swift like Whitburn may get described as having broad pale tips/fringes to body feathers, when in fact it doesn't have pale tips at all

Last edited:
Hi Jane

Hi Tom

In that photo, it is ALL the secondaries that are dark, not just the inner ones.

Brett

There were some very quick decisions made on one of the Filey swifts. There are plenty of very good pics out there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics of the recent Flamborough bird (sorry if they've already appeared) that I'm are assured was a very obvious Pallid.

Saw a couple of blurred images of a Spurn Pallid (sorry John) on their site. Any better ones out there? Not sure when it was sighted. Was it accepted?

Familiar story, this time at Filey. An interesting swift(s) turns up that might be a Pallid. Someone/observers turn up later, see it, say it isn't one; birding services listen and broadcast that it isn't one. Message as always is turn up and make up your own mind.

Filey swift: Massive amount of subjectivity involved. I saw the photographed Filey swift very well (or at least I think it was the same bird - there were several around) and even though the views were just about as good as you could possibly expect I could never really see (obvious) scaling on the body (underparts) even though you knew pretty much the photos would show some - it's always there to a greater or lesser degree. This made me think it probably wasn't a Pallid. Whether I'm right or not I'm still not sure.

Last edited:
I've edited my last post. Perhaps I should qualify that my last two paragraphs were references to the Filey swift not the spurn bird..

Last edited:

Yes, and I wrote something similar regarding the seeming blue/brown colour shift on Hobby wings in (I think) last year's Hobby thread - illustrated with some excellent photos. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Some great points/analyses made here - but will it get us any nearer to a definitive id?! As has been said a lot depends on light and attitude (of both bird and birder!) ...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back