• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift surprise (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
There was a thread started by myself on the 12/08/03 regarding Swifts leaving a bit earlier this year, I hadn't actually seen one since the 4/08/03, that was until yesterday.

I'd spotted a male Kestrel perched in a big Lime tree just off our drive and was watching him for what must of been an hour. There must of been about 100 Swallows and Housemartins flying around aswell when out of nowhere came this solitary Swift which took me by surprise. I hadn't seen one for 26 days so thought that was it till next year but this one caught me out.

I had a look through my book from last year and found that the Swifts had all left by the 16/08 round here. I know several people on the other thread said that they had long left so I was just wondering if anyone had seen Swifts recently?

Billy Boy

Last edited:
Haven't seen a Swift since the beginning of the month, still loads of Swallows though. If you want to see Sand Martins whizzing past your face without a care in the world, the river running through Merthyr Tydfil town centre is perfect. I watch them with delight there every year.

Hi Billy,

Haven't seen any myself the last 10 days or so, but odd lingering swifts are not that unusual, mostly they are probably migrants from further east/northeast (Scandinavia, Russia) or even south (rest of Europe), not local birds. In past years, I've seen odd ones in most Septembers, and one year, as late as 29th October.

If you do see a late swift, inspect it VERY carefully and take very detailed notes - it could always turn out to be a Pallid Swift. Odd ones of these seem to be turning up most autumns now, usually in October or early November.

Michael

Ours left around the 3/4th August. However for about 2 weeks after this I also saw a solitary swift. No more sightings since then.

Thanks all :t:

Michael- I was looking through one of my books on Pallid Swifts, and unless you've got a very very keen eye (of which mine is not that keen) then distinguishing the Pallid from a normal Swift is next to impossible. I know there are subtle differences but unless it was to land right in front of me (which obviously wont happen) then it would be extremely difficult, but I shall try my best if it re-appears.

Billy Boy

Hi Billy,

Yep, identifying Pallid Swift is really tricky. They are also extremely rare in Britain - on average only about two or three each year, nation-wide. I've yet to see one in Britain, but found some in Bulgaria (without knowing that they occurred in Bulgaria at all!) - I got lucky there as the first one I saw there was flying so low I was able to see it from above at times, and the paler brown colour particularly of the secondaries stood out particularly well against a dark background of buildings. Other things to look for are the slightly blunter wings (not easy to see!) and the large white throat patch.

Michael

Hi Michael,interesting post this.
I was out at Tilbury,Thames Estuary, today,and remarked to a couple of birders I passed that I had seen a (late) Swift.
In fact,I had looked up,saw the wing shape,decided Swift and had given the ID no further thought.Complacency!
You are quite right,it calls for careful scrutiny to ensure that a rarity has not been missed.

Hi Grousemore,

It'll still be Common Swifts for now - start checking for Pallids come October. That's when their second brood young fledge and they start to migrate. At the moment, Pallid Swifts are still on their breeding grounds.

Michael

I've seen plenty of Pallid Swifts in visits to Spain and in the end found them relatively easy to separate. For me it seems to be that, no matter how many and how often you consult field guides nothing seems to fix identification in my mind more than actually seeing birds 'in the flesh'. Does anyone else think the same?

As far as the wings go I always think 'steak knife = Common Swift' , 'table knife = Pallid Swift'.

I reckon that memory-joggers like this are really useful for id'ing birds that you don't see that often - anyone got any similar favourites ???

Martin

Hi all.
Last Wednesday (27th August) there were at least 6 Swifts hunting insects over our house in Cheshire. Haven't seen any since though but lots of swallows, house martins & sand martins hunting over Mersey estuary on Saturday.

I passed RVCP the other day, but didn't have bins with me so had to sail straight past. Might pay a visit this weekend as I haven't been for some time anyway. I usually head up to Old Moor or Potteric Carr.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back