• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (1 Viewer)

A couple more 2.0x tele's taken today. Cormorant, c.50-60ft. Grey Heron, c.80-100. Usual cropping & messing about with (and does that Cormorant look like he's wearing Wellie Boots or what)?...

Andy.

Attachments

• IMG_1127 (800 x 600).jpg
    IMG_1127 (800 x 600).jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1140 (800 x 600).jpg
    IMG_1140 (800 x 600).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 91
Don't want to stray too far off-topic, but I don't want to knock the FZ45 too much either! I've got some images I've been very pleased with: samples below (Roughleg, Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Honey). I think these are all reasonable quality for a compact (but I'm not a photographer). But all depended on me getting much closer than average to the bird. Trouble is one's expectations tend to creep upwards...which is why I'm attracted by the potential for more zoom (SX40) or a brighter lens (FZ200)...

...Nevertheless, if you have further problems, I'm sure I remember someone posting in this thread that regularly signs off with a link to Buzzard identification...
Andy.

Ah yes, I'll try and find that bloke, might give me some pointers...

Cheers, Brian

Attachments

• P1080316_cr2.jpg
    P1080316_cr2.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 11 26 07 071_cr.jpg
    11 26 07 071_cr.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 11 27 08 035_cr.jpg
    11 27 08 035_cr.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 11 26 08 093_cr.jpg
    11 26 08 093_cr.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 142
Don't want to stray too far off-topic, but I don't want to knock the FZ45 too much either! I've got some images I've been very pleased with: samples below (Roughleg, Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Honey). I think these are all reasonable quality for a compact (but I'm not a photographer). But all depended on me getting much closer than average to the bird. Trouble is one's expectations tend to creep upwards...which is why I'm attracted by the potential for more zoom (SX40) or a brighter lens (FZ200)...

Ah yes, I'll try and find that bloke, might give me some pointers...

Cheers, Brian

Brian

If you are thinking of the SX40 I bought mine from Digital Rev for £238.

Cheers

Josh

Tried really pushing the SX40 today by shooting with the so called 'Digital tele-converters'. This shot was taken at full zoom (840mm) with the built-in 1.5x tc thus giving 1260mm. Obviously not up to DSLR standards but not too bad considering IMHO. The built-in converters (1.5x and 2x) are obviously digital rather than optical but work a lot better than if you just shoot with the digital zoom at 1260mm or 1680mm, not sure why - seems like it is in-camera cropping with some extra processing + better IS. Hit rate was very low so next time I am going to try it on a tripod.

Looks good enough for me Roy. You'd be hard pressed to get better digiscoping.
Well done.
Neil

Looks good enough for me Roy. You'd be hard pressed to get better digiscoping.
Well done.
Neil
Hi Neil, I was looking to give up bird photography to do more birding with maybe a bit of digiscoping for record shots but now I shall probably just stick with the SX40 for the record shots - it will not tie-up the scope and is light enough to carry all day around the neck as well as carrying the scope and tripod.

I was very impressed with this photo of a coast guard boat taken at night using handheld night-shot.

The fireworks mode is also not too shabby.

Canon SX40 July 4th.

Attachments

• July Maine 2012 07 04 21 01 44.jpg
    July Maine 2012 07 04 21 01 44.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 151
  • July Maine 2012 07 04 21 38 33.jpg
    July Maine 2012 07 04 21 38 33.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 152
Just ordered one. Does anyone know where I can order a Lensmate 58mm filter adapter in the UK without paying stupid prices for delivery from the USA? I need one to mount my Raynox DCR-250 macro lens.

Regards,
Andrew.

Both easy and quick. Select from the dial on the back, rotate dial to required setting. I have mine set to -1/3.

When I get a chance I'll post my stored settings.

EDIT: Okay, so I got a chance...

These are the settings I use for non-flying birds;

Mode Dial set to P (program)

AF Frame: Flexizone
Digital Zoom: Off
Servo AF: On
Continuous AF : On
AF-assist Beam: On
MF-Point Zoom: On
Safety MF: On
i-Contrast: Auto
Spot AE Point: AF Point
IS Settings; IS Mode: Continuous; Powered IS: On
Display Area: Small

Select continuous shooting, exposure comp to -1/3, fully extend zoom and save settings to C1. Frame your subject and let the camera do the rest....

For flying birds set Mode dial to Tv (effectively shutter speed control). Same settings as above but 1/1000 shutter speed selected and saved to C2 as the saved shutter speed start point. Increase/decrease shutterspeed by rotating the dial (with thumb - LIGHTLY!) on the back

OR

Select Scene on the mode dial, press FUNC.SET from the dial on the back and select HQ (for 10fps continuous shooting). Saved settings are somewhat limited in this mode so I always switch on in C1, allow the zoom to extend automatically and THEN switch to Scene mode.

Here's what I've managed so far. They'll do for me...
http://www.flickr.com//photos/stouffer2013/show/

Hope this helps...

Andy.

Andy this post has really helped, thank you! Your photos are also very impressive, I'm inspired!

A couple of shots from my cycle ride a few days ago, one reason why I bought the SX40 was to take along while cycling and it is working out great in that respect as I can have it dangling from the neck and all ready to go.
Greenfinch at 1260mm and gull at 840mm.

Attachments

• green1 x 1260mm.jpg
    green1 x 1260mm.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 183
  • hgull1.jpg
    hgull1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 173
Just ordered one. Does anyone know where I can order a Lensmate 58mm filter adapter in the UK without paying stupid prices for delivery from the USA? I need one to mount my Raynox DCR-250 macro lens.

Sorry, can't help. I'm after one myself for fitting a UV filter. If you get any joy, or find a decent equivalent, can you let us know. I'll do likewise..

Ta,

Andy.

A couple of shots from my cycle ride a few days ago, one reason why I bought the SX40 was to take along while cycling and it is working out great in that respect as I can have it dangling from the neck and all ready to go.

Another couple of gems there Roy. I see the old teleconverter is getting a good bashing and quite obviously coming up with the goods :t:

Andy.

Sorry, can't help. I'm after one myself for fitting a UV filter. If you get any joy, or find a decent equivalent, can you let us know. I'll do likewise..

Ta,

Andy.

There seems to be a few 'alternatives' on eBay from Hong Kong but I think they have a bad record for damaging the end thread.

There seems to be a few 'alternatives' on eBay from Hong Kong but I think they have a bad record for damaging the end thread.

There is a Maxsima - 58mm Lens Filter Adapter on Amazon for just under £15 that has 3 favourable reviews that speak of a 'perfect fit' that I am tempted by. You just never know with these things...

Andy.

I see the old teleconverter is getting a good bashing and quite obviously coming up with the goods :t:

Andy.
When I have time Andy I want to do a controlled test 840mm v 1260mm where I crop the 840 shot to the same size myself in processing just to see if there is any difference.

When I have time Andy I want to do a controlled test 840mm v 1260mm where I crop the 840 shot to the same size myself in processing just to see if there is any difference.

I had considered doing something along the same lines. My only concern was ending up with that feeling of disappointment similar to when the magician shows you how he did the magic trick. ;)

Whatever the outcome, I would imagine (I don't know) that the teleconverter could possibly improve the chances of getting an AF fix on what should be a larger subject. The same I suppose goes for spot metering under certain light conditions.

Andy.

Very impressed with the standard of photos shown on this thread. Can someone confirm the camera's performance on macro taking close-ups of moths and other insects,please.

What editing software are people using? I have downloaded the Zoom browser that came with the camera. Is this OK? I havent used one before. Will it let me resize images on it?

Novice question I know.

Crackers yet again Roy. I have a feeling you are a bit of a whizz with the PP stuff as well. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back