• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tale of 10x32 comparisons (1 Viewer)

Nice story! Hearing your perspective on these is very useful. Wow, as an astronomer I'm am massively envious of your location, I hope you are able to turn those binos skyward from time to time to enjoy the clear skies.

I really liked the 8x32 SF's versus the 8x42's when I tried them out. The 8x32's don't have the false color at the edge like the 42's and I saw less distortion at the edge too. But I wanted a 42mm bino so I got the 8x42 SF's. I think it makes sense to keep both pairs you like. One of them will probably rise to the top with long-term use. There's a big drop-off in depreciation with new binoculars so you might as well enjoy them for a while and not make any rash decisions!

I currently have 3 pairs of 42mm binos but I expect that will eventually go down to one or two. I'm actually thinking of adding a second pair of 8x42's to evaluate for a year or two.

Well that's obvious now that you say so. Everyone should have at least one binocular per window! In my case, it's actually significantly more :D but the distances are so great that only the 12x50 and the scopes are actually useful.

//L
Oh wow... I'm guessing that you live sea side, perhaps? With those super long views?

Sounds like you're quite well set up, yourself! That's wonderful.

Nice story! Hearing your perspective on these is very useful. Wow, as an astronomer I'm am massively envious of your location, I hope you are able to turn those binos skyward from time to time to enjoy the clear skies.

I really liked the 8x32 SF's versus the 8x42's when I tried them out. The 8x32's don't have the false color at the edge like the 42's and I saw less distortion at the edge too. But I wanted a 42mm bino so I got the 8x42 SF's. I think it makes sense to keep both pairs you like. One of them will probably rise to the top with long-term use. There's a big drop-off in depreciation with new binoculars so you might as well enjoy them for a while and not make any rash decisions!

I currently have 3 pairs of 42mm binos but I expect that will eventually go down to one or two. I'm actually thinking of adding a second pair of 8x42's to evaluate for a year or two.
Scott... yes, we have some amazing night sky views here - especially living out of the city in the desert. I'm amazed nearly every evening when I take the pups out. And I do spend some time imagining that galaxies go on and on, seemingly infinitely. Boggles the mind. Is the universe infinite, or if there is an end, what is beyond that? No one knows.

Oh wow... I'm guessing that you live sea side, perhaps? With those super long views?

Sounds like you're quite well set up, yourself! That's wonderful.
Yes, I see a 45 degree slice of sea horizon in S to SW direction and along the coast in another direction, with many islands. Maximum viewing distance along the Swedish coast is 40 kilometres, and sometimes I also see the top of the lighthouse on the Danish island of Anholt, 54 kilometres away. But one absolutely unique and magical evening, the mirage helped me see windmills 85 kilometres away. There is a big bird reserve five kilometres from here, but only the biggest species are possible to identify at such long distance. Nice to see it's there at least. Then lots of hilly, forested midland and plains in a 180 degree panorama NW to SE. Could be worse off 😎

//L

Scott... yes, we have some amazing night sky views here - especially living out of the city in the desert. I'm amazed nearly every evening when I take the pups out. And I do spend some time imagining that galaxies go on and on, seemingly infinitely. Boggles the mind. Is the universe infinite, or if there is an end, what is beyond that? No one knows.
"The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us — there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries."
- Carl Sagan

"mysteries" are perhaps our way of dealing with the fact that we don't know much! It's estimated by scientists that we have only "discovered" or figured out about 5% of the total sum of astrophysical knowledge of the cosmos.

At least astrophysicists admit this! Unlike the medical profession which always assumes 100%...from the 1800's till now...always 100% :D

This begs the question, what exactly is the difference between a "mystery" and something one simply doesn't know?

A mystery is simply something that is difficult or impossible to explain or fully understand. It is an unknown.

There doesn't have to be any more "superstition" attached to a mystery than any one individual chooses to impose upon it.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back