• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

Thanks Miguel. I always think of the 300's AF speed as fast, I guess because the lenses I started off with being cheap and slow, but clearly there are much faster lenses.

Very interested to know if the Tamron is compatible with the 70D's live view AF. The photo linked below is one that is leaning me towards the Tammy as I spend a lot of time watching and recording Green Sandpipers and I have access to do low level photography - but as it would involve being in the water I would like to use the articulated screen rather than lying down :t:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/647867...VK-kco6tZ-kg4UNH-ki1Abq-jo26Fs-jnYARL-jo27Th/

I see. Maybe I think it is slow because I came from the 400mm prime which is super fast. The 300mm without the TC isn't slow but not fast when compared to the prime that is :)

Well, I emailed Tamron and specifically asked them if this lens is compatible with the dual pixel AF on the 70D. Their reply:

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the new Tamron 150-600 VC lens.

This lens is designed to be fully compatible with all Canon DSLR cameras and so I foresee no technical difficulties with the Canon 70D.

For your own peace of mind it may be beneficial to purchase one from a retailer where you can fit the lens to your body before purchase to see how it performs for yourself.

If you would like a dealer recommendation please let me know where you live & I will suggest some dealers for you.

Alternatively if you are planning a visit to The Photography Show this weekend, then we will have several lenses for you to try and my understanding is that there are 3 retailers at the show with a limited amount of stock however I would not expect this stock to last more than the first day since demand has been so high.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Jeremy.

Not being funny but I would genuinely expect them to say yes or no but Jeremy didn't did he!

Took the plunge and bought the new Tamron. It arrived today around lunchtime so I took a quick trip out to a local hide to try it out. Light wasn't too bad and I went for ISO 800 and f8 with aperture priority and stuck mostly to 600mm. All shots hand held - balancing on the tripod mount on the hide window. A few shots here http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan-photos/sets/72157641468253223/with/12751825784/

For comparison I took some shots with the Sigma 150-500 at the same location a few weeks ago, e.g. here with the same ISO/f8 combo and about the same shutter speed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan-photos/11531601723/

I like the shots from the Tamron Alan, an improvement on the Sigma don't you agree. How was the AF in comparison?

The AF is a lot quieter on the Tamron and you don't get the "wobble" you get from the Sigma sometimes when the IS kicks in.

Difficult to see any great improvement in IQ at 600 compared to the Sigma at 500 and both cropped to about the same size. But the squirrel shot was shorter and I think is sharper than I could get from the Sigma. I have only just got the lens so not had time to do a fair comparison yet. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow so will have another go then.

I meant to post the shots yesterday at full res but saved them, accidentally, smaller out of Lightroom so will try to replace them later if I get time with bigger versions.

Took the plunge and bought the new Tamron. It arrived today around lunchtime so I took a quick trip out to a local hide to try it out. Light wasn't too bad and I went for ISO 800 and f8 with aperture priority and stuck mostly to 600mm. All shots hand held - balancing on the tripod mount on the hide window. A few shots here http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan-photos/sets/72157641468253223/with/12751825784/

For comparison I took some shots with the Sigma 150-500 at the same location a few weeks ago, e.g. here with the same ISO/f8 combo and about the same shutter speed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan-photos/11531601723/

just had a look through the pics the last two are stunners ,making me wonder what to do

I should have said that I am using a Canon 5D III. Also most of the photos are not cropped too much as in that particular hide it is possible to get close up. The photo of the brambling is a big crop though to around 10% of the original frame.

Last edited:
I should have said that I am using a Canon 3D III. Also most of the photos are not cropped too much as in that particular hide it is possible to get close up. The photo of the brambling is a big crop though to around 10% of the original frame.

You mean a 5D Mark III, unless the rumors of a new FF model are true! It appears that this lens does indeed perform better on a FF as opposed to an APS-C body, in accordance with DxOMark's findings. Good effort there :t:

Thanks for the link Miguel, shame they haven't got the Tamron tested on their 60D yet as that would be more relevant to my requirements as I am looking to match a lens to my 70D.

However, could somebody explain how they are carrying out the tests please? I have changed the settings to the bare 400mm f5.6 lens on both tests, one coupled with the Canon 1D iii, the other on a Canon 60D, both wide open:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...8&Sample=0&CameraComp=736&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

What I am confused by is the comparative difference in size of the 2 images. If I am right, which I may well not be, the 1D iii is a 1.3x crop and the 60D is a 1.6x crop. To attain an accurate comparison then the presented image should be the same size, i.e. the crop camera moved an exact distance further away from the target to give an equal FOV - but the image from the 60D is clearly smaller.

Not disputing that there is a difference in image quality in favour of the larger sensor but I am now questioning how helpful the test is.

Any help anybody - please try to be not too technical as my poor brain is easily swamped!

Paul
When I click that link it is comparing a 1Ds Miii which is full frame. Unless I'm doing something, or reading, wrong. I can't change it to 1D Mkiii either which should be 1.3 crop factor, am I doing something wrong?

Phil

Last edited:
I can't help you there Paul :)

Back to the results, the tamron at 600mm f/8 looks sharper than Canon's 100-400 (with tc) and slightly sharper than 400mm prime(with tc) at f/8, BUT tamron has IS! So I think it is a winner for those that want IS and don't want to use a teleconverter to gain more reach

Hi Phil, sorry I didn't see the 's' - and I have got my reading glasses on :eek!:

SO it's a full frame camera they have used for that test which would place the lens even closer to the subject is that correct?

I am presuming that the camera and lens position would have been moved rather than cropping the actual image?

Paul, no apology. I'm interested in a comparison between 1D mkiii with the Tamron and 400 f5.6 with 1.4x which is my current setup. Just noticed the Ds by accident.

To my eye the 400f5.6 plus 1.4x (defaults to f8) has more contrast that the 600 f8 and is slightly sharper. Maybe my eyes and monitor (Mac retina). Whatever its seems to be an impressive piece of kit for static subjects in goodish light from the comments on this thread. I'm not really bothered about IS as I use a tripod, or other support, 95% of the time. I have changed both to same body.

Perhaps one of the more knowledgable people who have contributed can answer your specific question.

Phil

I can't help you there Paul :)

Back to the results, the tamron at 600mm f/8 looks sharper than Canon's 100-400 (with tc) and slightly sharper than 400mm prime(with tc) at f/8, BUT tamron has IS! So I think it is a winner for those that want IS and don't want to use a teleconverter to gain more reach

Well, the image on the 60D for the 100-400 is a mess in comparison with the Tamron on the 1Ds, but 1Ds, both lenses at 400mm, is very close, slightly sharper on the 100-400 in the centre but then Tamron gains on mid and corner. With the Tamron at 600mm, the Canon at 400mm is sharper across the frame BUT this takes me back round to my query above as to how the test is actually carried out - would it not make more sense to leave the cameras in the same position and show the larger image from the Tamron to compare sharpness? I am presuming that most people will actually be using the extra 200mm to get larger images of the subject not so that they have to move away to get the same shot?

The DP comparisons give you a good idea of any two lenses irrelevant of Camera used providing they are the same Camera in each case.
Tammy v Canon 400/5.6 - the Canon is clearly better at 400mm but the Tammy is best at 600mm v 560mm with the Canon (both at f8)
Tammy v 100-400 Here again the Tammy is a lot better at 600mm than the Canon at 560mm (both at f8).
Another interesting comparison is the Tammy v Sigma 150-500 - the Tammy is miles better when both at 500mm (same aperture).
It is also very apparent the the Tammy at 600mm does significantly better when stopped down to at least f8 as opposed to f6.3.

From just about everything I have read about the Tammy the AI Servo performance at the long end on certain crop Cameras (inc 7D) can be very poor but it looks excellent value for stationary birds but not so good for flyers.
Just my 2p's worth B :)

P.S. I would not be that bothered about VC(IS) as I would use a Tammy at the long end on a tripod for sure but for anyone who likes handholding the Tammy VC is a bonus (and better than the very old IS on the 100-400 from everything I have read).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back