• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

Thanks Roy.

As regard BIF, with my 7D or 550D, which would you say would produce the best results between the Tammy 150-600, the Canon 100-400 and the Canon 400/5.6 (all without teleconverters)?

Any thoughts on a possible upgrade path for the 7D body?

My thoughts are:

a) Canon 70D - best affordable crop body option?
(can't afford a 1DMk4!)

b) Go FF with a 6D or 5DMk2 or Mk3
(great to have FF quality but would lose the x1.6 crop factor on reach)

c) Wait for the long-awaited 7D Mk2 ??!!

Nick

Thanks Roy.

As regard BIF, with my 7D or 550D, which would you say would produce the best results between the Tammy 150-600, the Canon 100-400 and the Canon 400/5.6 (all without teleconverters)?

Any thoughts on a possible upgrade path for the 7D body?

My thoughts are:

a) Canon 70D - best affordable crop body option?
(can't afford a 1DMk4!)

b) Go FF with a 6D or 5DMk2 or Mk3
(great to have FF quality but would lose the x1.6 crop factor on reach)

c) Wait for the long-awaited 7D Mk2 ??!!

Nick
For BIF with a bare lens on the 7D I would say the 400/5.6 is most certainly best. Not sure about the other two but from what I have read the Tammy is OK at around 400mm in AI servo but I do not know how it would compare with the 100-400 (at 400mm).

a) I would personally prefer the 7D to the 70D

b) The big advantage with the 6D and 5D3 is the high ISO noise levels which are a good two stops better than the 7D in my experience with the 5D3 (the 5D3 also AF's at f8). I have also found the 5D3 AF to be much more consistent/accurate than the 7D - it seems to nail he focus every time. The downside is the reach on the FF (there is no way that a cropped 5D3 image can yield the same detail as a 7D image in terms of pixels per bird but there again the 5D3 images are a lot 'cleaner' IMHO.
I bought the 5D3 as I would be using it for things other than bird/wildlife whether I would have bought it if mainly for birds is doubtful (unless I had a 600/4 or longer lens). Another advantage of the 5D3, 1DX or 6D if considering the Tammy 150-600 is that the AI servo issue is not applicable to these Cameras from everything I have read.

c) I might possible wait for the 7D2 if I was in no hurry.

Thanks Roy.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the 7D until the 7D2 comes out. Hopefully the 7D2 will have better high-ISO performance, as per the 5D3, but retaining the advantages of the crop factor and high burst rate (10 fps would be nice!).

In the meantime I'm thinking of selling the Canon 100-400 and replacing it with the Tammy 150-600 and just "suck it and see". Will keep the Canon 400/5.6 for BIF.

cheers,
Nick

Thanks Roy.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the 7D until the 7D2 comes out. Hopefully the 7D2 will have better high-ISO performance, as per the 5D3, but retaining the advantages of the crop factor and high burst rate (10 fps would be nice!).

In the meantime I'm thinking of selling the Canon 100-400 and replacing it with the Tammy 150-600 and just "suck it and see". Will keep the Canon 400/5.6 for BIF.

cheers,
Nick
I don't blame you waiting and seeing Nick although the chances of a 1.6 cropper having the same high ISO noise levels of the FF 5D3 would be virtually nil IMO. All the best whatever you do :t:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting tired of waiting for Adorama to email me that my lens is in the mail.

Last edited:
i did get to have a fairly long play with one at the n.e.c photo show and my impressions were ,super build quality (unexpected) nice balance even when fully extended ,i then bolted it on to my own 60d shooting in raw and thus knowing that its set within my normal parameters . so sorry i didn't take the 1d3 with me but there ya go .
the shot below is therefore
60D
tamron 150-600 vc
F6.3
i.s.o 1250
1/25th sec W.T.F.!!!!!!!!!
hand held ,indoors in poor light

150-600 sample by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

JUST CLICK ON LINK TO SEE PIC

Be sure to let us know how you like it. It would be great if you have a 70D. Lots of examples on FF cameras where it works great. Fewer on crop cameras.

I don't have an 70D. I am using an 5D3. I do have a friend who owns an 60D. I can probably ask him to try on his body.

There is 3 days of heavy rain so I won't be able to test right away. You will have to wait a little longer.

I don't have an 70D. I am using an 5D3. I do have a friend who owns an 60D. I can probably ask him to try on his body.

There is 3 days of heavy rain so I won't be able to test right away. You will have to wait a little longer.

Your friend would probably love to try your new lens out. Hope the rain stops and the birds come out for you soon. It's 70F and sunny here in Marin County at the foot of Mt. Tamalpais.

I can give my first impression. I went out before the rain start pooring in. It was very dark outside. It certainly wasn't the best of condition. This was with the 5D Mark III

This lens is heavy. I am small guy and hand holding for more than 20 sec is workout. If you plan of using this lens gets a monopod or a carrying vest (like I did). You will thank me later. I used single center focus point and it was fairly fast considering how dark it was outside. I was also surprised how quiet it was. It was difficult for me to do 1/250 handheld with VC on. My keeper rate was ~50%. It will take some time to get better.

This is best picture out of the series I took
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7337/12999014385_743910ec2d_b.jpg

There is some good weather coming in next week, It will be interesting to see how the lens do in good light.

This lens is heavy. I am small guy and hand holding for more than 20 sec is workout. If you plan of using this lens gets a monopod or a carrying vest (like I did). You will thank me later.
The main reason I am interested in this lens is its lightness! at under 2 kg it is 25% lighter than the Canon 300mm f2.8 I used to shoot with and miles lighter than the Canon 500/600's. I used to carry my 300/2.8 with a black rapid strap no problem - BTW I am a 70 year old weakling so if I could manage 2.6kg then the Tammy should be a piece of cake ;)

The main reason I am interested in this lens is its lightness! at under 2 kg it is 25% lighter than the Canon 300mm f2.8 I used to shoot with and miles lighter than the Canon 500/600's. I used to carry my 300/2.8 with a black rapid strap no problem - BTW I am a 70 year old weakling so if I could manage 2.6kg then the Tammy should be a piece of cake ;)

I bet you can. I am impressed. Like any new lens, there is an adaptation period. The only time I used it was in very bad condition. So it can only get easier from here.

Note : In a moment of pure insanity, I bought an Canon 70D this morning. I will be able to do 100-400L vs 150-600mm on both crop and FF. It should be interesting.

I bet you can. I am impressed. Like any new lens, there is an adaptation period. The only time I used it was in very bad condition. So it can only get easier from here.

Note : In a moment of pure insanity, I bought an Canon 70D this morning. I will be able to do 100-400L vs 150-600mm on both crop and FF. It should be interesting.

I think you'll like the 70D and I'm looking forward to seeing the comparison with the 5D3.

I used live view focus on my 70D this morning focusing on a squirrel with the 400 5.6L +1.4X TC. All I had to do was touch the screen where I wanted to focus point to be and push the button.

I just bought a Manfrotto 393 gimbal head in anticipation of the Tamron. Best money I ever spent. Wish I had bought it years ago.

Nothing insane about buying cameras, electronics, bicycles or whatever floats your boat. It's what keeps you sane.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back