• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

That is very good. I think you will love the Tamron. You will get faster AF without an extender.

I know the combo hunts all over the place with contrast single point focus to the point of being useless. It's much better with live view.

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake sticking with Adorama. It's 2 months tomorrow that I placed the order.

I know the combo hunts all over the place with contrast single point focus to the point of being useless. It's much better with live view.

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake sticking with Adorama. It's 2 months tomorrow that I placed the order.

Don't worry. I got very lucky. I was browsing Amazon last week and they had only 1 copy in stock. I was able to grab it before anyone else. The waiting list on my local store is over 20 peoples.

I bet you can. I am impressed. Like any new lens, there is an adaptation period. The only time I used it was in very bad condition. So it can only get easier from here.

I guess if you have only been used to thing like the 100-400 or 400/5.6 then the Tammy may seem a little heavy to begin with but I am sure you will soon get used to it :t:. Like I say, as far as 600mm lenses go this is by far the lightest I have come across (excluding mirror lenses).

Good for you. I have found that this lens works best on a tripod with proper long-lens technique. It is much more difficult to be handheld especially in less than optimal conditions due to the extreme focal length resulting from being used with a crop sensor camera.

Its not bad at all. The weather looks promising this weekend, I will take it for a spin. I had very little time with the 70D and the Tamron but what I shot was good.

Hope all is well with you, the weather and your equipment. I was hoping to see some 70D/Tamron shots.

Best,

Chris

I'll give you guys a quick impression. Only did about 1 hour of shooting. I had a few glitches with the Tamron on the 70D where it would stop focusing until I pick a different target and go back. It wasn't very often and once I got it going again. It was flawless from that point on for a while. The AF speed was serviceable and once I lock on to a target the AI servo did a good job. I did not experience trouble with the AI Servo. Only on one-shot mode.

For anyone of the fence with the Tamron, I wouldn't hesitate. I was great to shoot with a crop again. Under good lighting, its very easy to use. Of course I was missing my 5D3 AF but I was happy with my short time with it. I will go again on Sunday. I'll see if I get the little glitches again.

It seems to be a consensus that AI Servo doesn't work well with older bodies like 7D. Therefore you can wait for a fix by tamron (I doubt) or you can upgrade your body. Those are the options I think

Last edited:
Seems like back button focusing and bumping/pumping the AF would help a lot with this lens.

I played with the 70D again yesterday and I rarely came into this trouble. Once in a while you will have a very small moment when you can't focus. Its not like the lens doesn't work at all like some are posting. Its very serviceable.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back