• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Target Birding: San Gerardo, Savegre highlands (2 Viewers)

JJP

That would be "Target Birding". Pardon the mistype in the title. Note: title now corrected.

Last week, I decided to visit Costa Rica with a target list.

My problem was that I had birded western Panama twice and was still missing several birds from there in Costa Rica (Silvery-throated Jay, Sulphur-winged Parakeet, Barred Becard, Buff-fronted Quail-Dove, Flame-colored Tanager, etc)

I was also missing some lifer highland specialties that could be picked up in either the Talamanca range (Costa Rica Pygmy-Owl, Buffy-crowned Wood-Partridge, Spotted Wood-Quail, Dusky Nightjar) or in the Tilaran Range (Black-eared Wood Quail, Tawny-throated Leaftosser, Black-headed and Rufous-breasted Antthrush) or either range (Lineated Foliage-gleaner, Scaly-throated Foliage-gleaner, Silvery-fronted Tapaculo, Bare-shanked Screech-Owl, etc.).

So I concentrated on highland specialties and acquired the skill of Kevin Easley, bird guide and owner of Costa Rica Gateways bird guide service. Costa Rica Gateways is a very good company for this sort of thing. Their guides pretty much know where things like Bare-shanked Screech-Owl and Dusky Nightjar can be found since they do this sort of thing all year long and their guides talk among themselves constantly.

Make no mistake, I would rather be birding on my own. But this is a case where I really needed to be efficient. I could not really afford to go wandering into something that looked like reasonable habitat, fumble with my tapes, and cross my fingers. I truly needed a person who know where most of my target birds were being seen.

I was also missing a few uncommon nemesis birds that I hoped to pick up along the way - Brown-billed Sycythebill, Blue-and-Gold Tanager, Barred Hawk, Rufous-browed Tyrannulet, etc...)

So a good friend and myself headed out on April 13.

My itinerary was ...

Savegre Lodge - Two nights
Monteverde - one night
San Gerardo - two nights

Irazu Volcano to Savegre -

Day - 1: On the way to Savegre, we pulled into the Irazu Volcano to pick up Buffy-crowned Wood-Partidge. Kevin knew a pretty good spot near a man's house and we actually saw them in his garden! Just for the record, these birds move really fast. I probably saw more of their butt than their head.

Kevin was also able to get us good views of a Costa Rica Pygmy-Owl being hounded by Flame-throated Warblers, Yellow-winged Vireos, and a variety of other songbirds. We also had both Acorn and Hairy woodpeckers, Resplendent Quetzal, Mountain Robin, Long-tailed Silky-Flycatcher, Black-capped Flycatcher, Mountain Elaenia, and Black-thighed Grosbeak.

Kevin knew of a better place for Timberline Wren and Wrenthrush, so we didn't drive to the top of the Volcano. On to Savegre.

We pulled into Savegre in beautiful 75 degree cloudless weather. I will not comment on the weather again. It was beautiful and dry my entire trip. I never saw a drop of rain while birding. This isn't entirely a good thing, but that's the way it was.

On the first afternoon, I picked up White-throated mountain-Gem at the hummingbird feeder (lifer) and Yellow-bellied Siskin in a tree (new for Costa Rica). Flame-colored Tanagers were also common.

We then drove higher up on the highway to a place where Kevin taped out Wrenthrush and Timberline Wren in about 10 minutes - both within about 25 feet of each other. A bonus bird was Volcano Junco walking around on the shoulder of the road. I had seen the bird before, but we got good pictures. We had terrific views of Dusky Nightjar that evening (a stake-out spot) and my friend got some exceptional pictures there as well.

Day 2. Very early we Did the trail going up to the higher ground from the lodge (beautiful trail). We had good views of Streak-breasted Treehunter and Black-cheeked Warbler (both new for Costa Rica). Finally saw Silvery-throated Jays at what is apparently one of the few areas you can see them. We also had Spotted Wood-Quail and Buffy Tuftedcheek - both new birds.

Around the lodge at breakfast we had Dark Pewee, Yellowish Flycatcher, and a few others. We never saw Ocheraceous Pewee - a bird I had seen in Panama.

We then decided to drive to San Isidro for a few birds that were slightly on the perimeter of my target list - Turquoise Cotinga, White-tailed Emerald, Snowy-bellied Hummingbird, Bran-colored Flycatcher, and Fork-tailed Flycatcher. The first two would be lifers, the last three would be new Costa Rican birds.

We got Snowy-bellied hummingbird at a hillside restaurant Kevin knew about near San Isidro. We missed the White-tailed Emerald though. Driving through San Isidro, we picked up Fork-tailed Flycatcher and Tropical Mockingbird - both new CR birds. At Tilaria Lodge, we had to wait out the cotinga but finally saw no fewer than 5 of them about 4 oclock in the afternoon (2 males and 3 females). I had been to Tilaria before but missed them. Great bird, that cotinga - as all cotingas are in my opinion. We tried but missed the Bran-colored Flycatcher.

We also had a Pearl Kite by the river, a Streaked Saltator, and no fewer than 12 Scarlet Tanagers around San Isidro - all new CR birds.

Back to Savegre for dinner and a collapse on my bed.

Day 3 - Morning along the river trail before breakfast.... quickly picked up several birds. Sulphur-winged Parakeet, and Barred Becard (nest building) were picked up quickly. Then we had good views of Slaty Flower-piercer, Spangle-cheeked Tanager, Brown-capped Vireo, Torrent Tyrannulet, and Black-faced solitaire - all birds I was happy to see again.

We left Savegre after breakfast for Montevede. We got Rufous-browed Peppershrike on the way out and a Sedge Wren at Cartago (both CR birds). We also got chiggers looking for that last bird. Little Bastards.

That night at Monteverde, Kevin and I went out (Kevin's friend and my friend both being too tired) in order to pick up Bare-shanked Screech Owl. We picked that up quickly and had a Mottled Owl to boot. A lifer and a new CR bird. I loved the screech-owl. Very different from other screech-owls in my opinion.

Continued.

Last edited:
Monteverde - Day 4

We drove over the hummingbird feeders at Monteverde. No surprises here. The usual suspects.

However, as we were watching hummingbirds a surprising Bicolored Hawk flew in. A new bird for me and one that was entirely unexpected (I guess all Bicolored Hawks are unexpected now that I think about it). We also got great pictures of Golden-browed Chlorophonias working with some nest material down low.

On to Santa Elena after breakfast.

At Santa Elena we quickly picked up a beautiful singing Silvery-fronted Tapaculo with the help of a tape. Kevin's friend needed the Three-wattled Bellbird for a lifer so we spent a good deal of time trying to get a good scope on these treetop singers. I never get tired of cotingas, so working for that bird was as much enjoyment as working for a lifer.

Santa Elena was pretty quiet. About noon we headed down the trail to San Gerardo - the trailhead is located a few feet from the Santa Elena headquarters.

The San Gerardo trail is a good trail or a bad road - take your pick. It's impassable by vehicle except those little three-wheelers. It's also steep going down and hard on your knees and back. All of us were in shape, but it's still pretty brutal.

We picked up Resplendent Quetzal on the way down as well as Lineated Foliage Gleaner (lifer) and Sooty-faced Finch. We got good looks at Highland Tinamou just before arriving at the station. Kevin heard the bird, played a tape, and out it came. A good look at a tough tinamou. Good sighting.

Evening on the San Gerardo Field Station porch... a staggering look at Arenal Volcano, singing flycatchers, treetop bellbirds, and Brown-hooded Parrots.

Accommodations are spartan at the field station. Electricity is only on from 6 am to 9 pm. There is no hot water at any time. But the place is clean, the porch amazing, and the cook is wonderful.

Day 5 - Next morning we went quickly to see the Umbrellabird. This is the only known CR lek, and April is the time. It's one of the only places this bird is reliable and cannot be found here outside the breeding season. This bird is almost completely endemic according to Kevin since it's mostly known from CR sightings. Even outside the breeding season, the bird is difficult and somewhat random all over the Caribbean side

We got to the lek, heard the birds 100 meters away but never saw them. Crap. However, we worked back toward the lodge finding Tawny-throated Leaftosser, Black-headed Antthrush, and Brown-billed Scythebill - all very cooperative.

Back to the lodge where Barred Hawk, Black Hawk-Eagle and Ornate Hawk-Eagle all soared overhead at one time or another. That afternoon, we got Immaculate Antbird, but missed both quail doves.

Black-eared wood-Quail we saw.... but since they fly across the trail at the speed of light, I could no more tell them from a black, feathery tennis ball being shot across the trail. So I didn't count them. My bar for counting can only be dropped so low, and that bird was my limit.

The next morning, Kevin thought he had a bead on where the umbrellabird lek had moved to, so he headed out early (5:00). We got to the spot, and in just a few seconds were treated to scope views of a very close Bare-necked Umbrellabird. Staggering look for about 15 minutes as it stayed until we finally left it there.

On the way back, we got Rufous-breasted Antthush to follow our tape right to the trail, but it would never come into sight. It did that twice. Kevin said it's nearly impossible that way... and we never saw the bird. We had a Gray-throated Leaftosser on the way back.

In a nutshell, we discovered that there were no real small feeding flocks around. We don't know why. Because of this, I likely missed a few birds like Scaly-throated Foliage-gleaner and Rufous-browed Tyrannulet.

We finally picked up Buff-fronted Quail Dove after lunch but missed the Chriqui Quail-Dove as it just wouldn't cooperate.

Day 6 - We paid the money to drive out on the trail on the back of a three-wheeler. If that had been done in the states, I would have needed to sign a variety of liability release forms. But I still think it's better than walking that trail.

I failed to mention that we picked up a few shorebirds on the way to Monteverde on the road to Puerto Morales just on the other side of the Sardinal turnoff to Monteverde. A salt pond with typical shorebirds had several new CR birds for me, and we saw a surprising number of Western Kingbirds coming to roost - new for CR - and a Northern Scrub Flycatcher - a lifer.

A great trip.... but I missed the RB Tyrannulet and Blue-and-Gold Tanager. I'll probably get those elsewhere though.

I also missed Scaly-throated Foliage Gleaner, Chiriqui Quail-Dove, and Sharpbill. I'll have a more difficult time getting those birds. I also never counted the wood quail... so I still have some work to do.

Overall, the Field Station was great. It was nice to see that much forest in one place and the umbrellabird was truly something.

Last edited:
San Gerardo List

SPECIES
HIGHLAND TINAMOU
CRESTED GUAN
BLACK GUAN
GREAT CURRASOW
GOLDEN-OLIVE WOODPECKER
RESPLENDENT QUETZAL
ORANGE-BELLIED TROGON
KEEL-BILLED MOTMOT
BLUE-CROWNED MOTMOT
BROWN-HOODED PARROT
VAUX'S SWIFT
BLACK-CRESTED COQUETTE
COPPERY-HEADED EMERALD
PAURAQUE
RED-BILLED PIGEON
BUFF-FRONTED QUAIL-DOVE
SWALLOW-TAILED KITE
BARRED HAWK
BLACK HAWK-EAGLE
ORNATE HAWK-EAGLE
COMMON TODY-FLYCATCHER
YELLOW TYRANNULET
WHITE-THROATED SPADEBILL
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER
EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE
RUFOUS MOURNER
SOCIAL FLYCATCHER
PIRATIC FLYCATCHER
MASKED TITYRA
BARE-NECKED UMBRELLABIRD
THREE-WATTLED BELLBIRD
PLAIN ANTVIREO
SLATY ANTWREN
IMMACULATE ANTBIRD
RED-FACED SPINETAIL
RUDDY TREERUNNER
LINEATED FOLIAGE-GLEANER
TAWNY-THROATED LEAFTOSSER
GREY-THROATED LEAFTOSSER
SPOTTED WOODCREEPER
SPOT-CROWNED WOODCREEPER
BROWN-BILLED SCYTHEBILL
BLACK-HEADED ANTTHRUSH
AZURE-HOODED JAY
SWAINSON'S THRUSH
PALE-VENTED THRUSH
CLAY-COLORED THRUSH
WHITE-THROATED THRUSH
BAND-BACKED WREN
HOUSE WREN
BLUE-AND-WHITE SWALLOW
BLACK-STRIPED SPARROW
CHESTNUT-CAPPED BRUSH-FINCH
SOOTY-FACED FINCH
TROPICAL PARULA
BUFF-RUMPED WARBLER
BANANAQUIT
COMMON BUSH-TANAGER
SOOTY-CAPPED BUSH-TANAGER
HEPATIC TANAGER
PASSERINI'S TANAGER
SILVER-THROATED TANAGER
SPANGLE-CHEEKED TANAGER
SCARLET-THIGHED DACNIS
YELLOW-FACED GRASSQUIT
CHESTNUT-HEADED OROPENDOLA
GIANT COWBIRD

Savegre list (did not include Irazu and Tialria Lodge in this list)

SPECIES
HAIRY WOODPECKER
RINGED KINGFISHER
GREAT GREEN MACAW
SULPHUR-WINGED PARAKEET
SPOT-FRONTED SWIFT
GREEN VIOLET-EAR
FIERY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
WHITE-THROATED MOUNTAIN-GEM
MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD
VOLCANO HUMMINGBIRD
SCINTILLANT HUMMINGBIRD
DUSKY NIGHTJAR
RUDDY PIGEON
MOUNTAIN ELAENIA
TORRENT TYRANNULET
TUFTED FLYCATCHER
DARK PEWEE
YELLOWISH FLYCATCHER
BLACK-CAPPED FLYCATCHER
BLACK PHOEBE
GREAT KISKADEE
BARRED BECARD
BUFFY TUFTEDCHEEK
STREAK-BREASTED TREEHUNTER
RUFOUS-BROWED PEPPERSHRIKE
YELLOW-WINGED VIREO
BROWN-CAPPED VIREO
SILVERY-THROATED JAY
LONG-TAILED SILKY-FLYCATCHER
BLACK-FACED SOLITAIRE
BLACK-BILLED NIGHTINGALE-THRUSH
RUDDY-CAPPED NIGHTINGALE-THRUSH
SOOTY THRUSH
CLAY-COLORED THRUSH
TIMBERLINE WREN
WHITE-BREASTED WOOD-WREN
GREY-BREASTED WOOD-WREN
TROPICAL GNATCATCHER
BLUE-AND-WHITE SWALLOW
YELLOW-BELLIED SISKIN
VOLCANO JUNCO
ORANGE-BILLED SPARROW
CHESTNUT-CAPPED BRUSH-FINCH
LARGE-FOOTED FINCH
YELLOW-THIGHED FINCH
FLAME-THROATED WARBLER
BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER
WILSON'S WARBLER
COLLARED REDSTART
BLACK-CHEEKED WARBLER
BUFF-RUMPED WARBLER
WRENTHRUSH
COMMON BUSH-TANAGER
SOOTY-CAPPED BUSH-TANAGER
FLAME-COLORED TANAGER
CHERRIE'S TANAGER
SPECKLED TANAGER
SPANGLE-CHEEKED TANAGER
SLATY FLOWER-PIERCER
BLACK-THIGHED GROSBEAK

Last edited:
Congrats on getting a lot of good birds and increasing your CR list! Yes, Kevin and Gateway always have excellent gen on birds in Costa Rica. Nice to get Keel-billed Motmot- havent heard of others seeing them at San Gerardo so good to know they are there!

Sorry to hear that you didnt run into any good mixed flocks and strange to read that you didnt get RB Tyrannulet as San Gerardo is usually reliable for them. Too bad about the wood quail- always tough. I got the ST Jay for the year a week ago in forest above El Toucanet Lodge but even there, just one or two individuals are regularly seen.
Talari seems to be pretty reliable for Turquoise Cotinga- have had that there easily in the past.

On a side note, it sure would be nice to find another umbrellabird lek. They have actually been seen quite a ways east in Panama (at least to El Cope) but much of their habitat is hard to access so they are seen more often in Costa Rica. It is a good thing that they occur in parts of Panama because they have become pretty rare in Costa Rica due to deforestation of foothill and lowland habitats that they use outside of the breeding season. Hopefully, we can find some way to reforest or at least plant fruiting trees in such areas.

I've got reservations in Bosque de la Tigre in July. Hoping to pick up Little Tinamou, Tiny Hawk and a few others.

I still need to get to southern Costa Rica for the grass-finch and about a dozen others... but I've got to have a something to look forward to. No?

I've got reservations in Bosque de la Tigre in July. Hoping to pick up Little Tinamou, Tiny Hawk and a few others.

I still need to get to southern Costa Rica for the grass-finch and about a dozen others... but I've got to have a something to look forward to. No?

You should get the tinamou there! Good chance for Tiny Hawk too.

Yes, always good to have something to look forward to! I still need the grass finch and a bunch of other species.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back