• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (5 Viewers)

Mountcastle

I decided to give the Mountcastle Waxwing another go this afternoon. I had second thoughts on my way there as I passed through some heavy rainfall, but I carried on anyway. Parking up at the main gate, the rain was just dying off. I scanned the tree that had held Waxwing at this time over the past two days, but nothing stirred, apart from a buzzard that flew south towards the main loch. I'm guessing buzzards in the area are not the best thing to find when looking for Waxwing.

With the rain off five minutes later, I headed down the track on foot. i was greeted by high levels of bird song in from the bushes. A multitude of Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Goldcrest and Siskin were busy as the sun shone down on them. Someone had filled the feeders suspended near the little burn.

Minutes later the rain was on again. I carried on as it was fairly light, finding my way along a track that headed south down the east side of the loch. The strong gusting wind made it a bit uncomfortable, but I found some promising areas for exploration on a future trip.

A little over an hour later, I arrived back at the car, made a last fruitless check of the trees for Waxwing, then headed home.

Ruddons Point

A quick walk out to Ruddons Point at lunchtime between dad taxi duties. Wind was less than last week, although still pretty stiff. Tide was also very different as it was there or there about at high when I arrived.

Took a while to locate any scoters. They were way off, however, I'm fairly sure the small flock were all Common Scoters. Closer in however, I did pick up on a Red Throated Diver. I'd had a glimpse, in poor conditions of a distant couple, some weeks ago, from Lower Largo. This one however was close enough for good views with the binoculars, so the walk out was well worth the effort. :t:

Blairgowrie

I had some business in Blairgowrie today, but was able to grab fifteen minutes with my son beside the river. In that small amount of time, he was able to add three lifers to his list.

First was a Dipper sat out on a rock in the middle of the fast flowing peat stained waters. Second was a very bold Song Thrush looking for worms on the wet grassy bank. And lastly was a Treecreeper that scampered up and down the trunk of a riverside tree.

Not bad going for fifteen minutes without binoculars, even though I think he's seen Song Thrush before, but just forgotten. Now I just need to find a Dipper in Fife.

I had some business in Blairgowrie today, but was able to grab fifteen minutes with my son beside the river. In that small amount of time, he was able to add three lifers to his list.

First was a Dipper sat out on a rock in the middle of the fast flowing peat stained waters. Second was a very bold Song Thrush looking for worms on the wet grassy bank. And lastly was a Treecreeper that scampered up and down the trunk of a riverside tree.

Not bad going for fifteen minutes without binoculars, even though I think he's seen Song Thrush before, but just forgotten. Now I just need to find a Dipper in Fife.

The Kinness Burn in St Andrews always used to be a reliable area for Dipper, if you're in that neck of the woods.

The Kinness Burn in St Andrews always used to be a reliable area for Dipper, if you're in that neck of the woods.

Had a very tame Dipper a few feet in front of me on the burn in St Andrews in January. There's a wee park just south west of the bus station and the burn flows past that along the back of the Botanic Gardens and the Dipper was on that stretch.

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ton-up-4117.html

Thanks Guys.

I'll check that one out next time i'm in St Andrews.

Kincraig and Ruddons Points

I had been taking it relatively easy for the last three or four days due to the effects of a virus, but as today would be my last day watching before I headed offshore, I was determined to head out.

My plan all week had been to try and catch a better look at the Brent Geese at the Eden Estuary. A day sat in the hides of the Eden Centre and at Balgove Bay, also seemed to be the wisest thing as the virus was still hanging onto me. Also, I'd picked up a few niggling leg and foot injuries over the last few months, so again, the wisest thing to do would be to head for the estuary hides.

Then the alert came in yesterday afternoon. Red-Necked Grebe and Slavonian Grebes off Ruddons Point. Two lifers in the offering. The grebes and divers of Largo Bay had been giving me the slip since January, and I'd pretty much written them of till next winter, but here was a possibility of changing all that. All I had to do was ignore my body and doing the wisest thing.

Twenty to eleven found me rolling into the upper car park at Shell Bay, with the wisest thing duly ignored. High tide was due at about a quarter past fifteen. Plan was to be out on Ruddons Point a couple of hours before high tide. First bird of the day was a Robin at the edge of the car park. Walking down the tarmac road that leads into Shell Bay, I added a distant Yellowhammer, and then at the roadside, a fully hooded Reed Bunting.

Shell bay was already half flooded by the advancing tide. Its waters glistened under a bright sun and clear sky. In the bay I started my day's count of Herring Gull, Curlew, Oystercatcher and Eider.In the fields to the east, there were Carrion Crow patrolling the freshly ploughed ground.

I had never been out to Kincraig Point before, so with time to spare, I decided to explore. I followed a small muddy track that led between the ploughed fields and the short drop down onto the rocks of the coastline. Skylark was added to the list here.

As the path curved away east from Shell Bay, I spotted a bird, fairly close in, out on the water. There fishing just off the rocks was a fine looking Red-Throated Diver. I spent some time watching this specimen in its winter garb before tearing myself away. As I left, I contemplated how I would be able to fulfil a long held ambition to see one of these fantastic birds in summer dress. A trip to Shetland seemed the logical answer.

The path now ascended a steep set of steps up to the cliff tops of the point. At the top I found old WW2 pill boxes. The tremendous view from this vantage point explained their placement. Approaching the cliff edge at the largest pill box, a Pheasant exploded out of the long grasses in front of me. The waters down below however, were barren in bird terms.

With time getting on, I started to retrace my steps. I relocated the R-T Diver in about the same place as before. Further out though, I also found four Guillemot, and then three Red breasted Merganser . Before leaving the path at the back of Shell bay, I also found a couple of Mallard on the seaweed covered rocks at the waters edge.

Feeling a little under par at this point, I took the easier route along the caravan park road that skirts the back of Shell Bay's dunes, rather than trudge through the soft sands on the beach. Along this road I located Pied Wagtail and Blackbird. I headed for the gap in the stand of conifers that marks the point where the Cocklemill Burn flows out past the high water mark on the Largo Bay beach. The time was a quarter past twelve, so although the tide was pretty high, I still had a little time. Along the beach there were few birds and nothing that I had not already listed, so I decided to head into the Cocklemill Marsh.

Approaching the first of the two wooded foot bridges that enable the crossing of the marsh, a small flock of Chaffinch took to the air and disappeared over the burn. Approaching the second bridge, a flock of forty plus Curlew flew overhead and settled in a field just beyond the marsh. Heading back towards the first bridge, I was overtaken by four Rock Pipits. They were all Scandinavian type. I briefly wondered whether subspecies count as a separate tick on lists. I decided it wasn't really important to me at this stage. I was just glad in the progress that enabled me to tell the difference.

Back up on the path, I now headed up the west side of Ruddon's Point. Great Black-Backed Gull was added to the list, and the Mallard count significantly increased.

Out along the point, I could feel the full force of the wind. I'd checked the forecast before leaving and knew it would be borderline tolerable, but it certainly wasn't comfortable, even to someone who has spent the last twenty five years working offshore.

About halfway along this west side of the point, there is a bit of a rise that makes a good scanning point. With the binoculars, it took quite a while to find much out on the water. I noted a very distant group of Scoter, but my attention was grabbed by finding my second Red-Throated Diver of the day. Again, close in and actively fishing the rising tide. For the first time of the day, I set up the tripod and scope for better views. Relocating the bird with the scope afforded excellent views between dives. At one point I looked away to wipe a wind induced tear from my eye. looking back again, I found not only the R-T Diver, but a drake Long-Tailed Duck sitting next to it.

With the wind starting to strength a little, it was getting harder to focus the scope as my body moved from the buffeting gusts. Birds on the water were easier to see with a bit of height due to the choppy waves, however, I moved to a lower, slightly more sheltered, vantage point where an outfall pipe runs into Largo Bay off the point. It was from here that I picked up three dark duck in the air. I was able to pick out the white bars that identified them as Velvet Scoter. Their arrival reminded me I hadn't checked out the far off group of Scoter. I found them with the scope, but the rise and call of the rolling waves made things very difficult, especially at the edge of max range they were sat at. I watched for a while and decided there was nothing showing to say they were not Common Scoter, so I listed them as such.

I continued scanning for my prime targets of Red-Necked and Slavonian Grebe, but I could find nothing. Stepping back from the scope at one point, I realised I had been scanning over the top of a close in bird. My excitement level rapidly rose. The R-T Diver was still showing in the area, but this was not that bird. This bird was a lot darker, had no white in the face and its throat was dark. My instinct was Black-Throated Diver. I raised my binoculars to my eyes and proved my instinct wrong, as this bird had a deep red throat. Another R-T Diver, but this one in the summer garb that I had for many years longed to see it in. Grebes were now all but forgotten. I was made up, and had just saved a trip to Shetland (although I think that may well happen anyway at some point).

The bird dived soon after I got the binoculars on it. I struggled to relocate it, but when I did, it was moving away from the area. I also moved away from the area. This time I headed for the end of the point. My intention was to find a Whimbrel that is known to roost out on the little island formed by the high tide. It is reported to sit there with the Curlews of the area displaced by the high tide. There was no Whimbrel. There were no Curlew. I suddenly realised that there were forty plus of them on the far side of the Cocklemill Marsh. I wondered if my Whimbrel was with them.

There were birds on the island however, mainly more Oystercatcher, but also, strangely enough, my first Turnstone, Cormorant and Redshank of the day. On the water to the leeward side of the island I also found plenty of Eider and also twenty eight Red-Breasted Merganser.

It was nigh on high tide now, so I decided to call it a day. I headed back along the west side of the point, giving Largo bay a final scan or two for Grebes. I found none, but did locate a flock of Wigeon near the burn mouth.

Returning to the car through the caravan park, I listed my last bird of the day, as six magpies flew between and over the caravans.

Photo 1 - R-T Diver
Photo 2 - View east from Kincraig Point
Photo 3 - View of Ruddons Point from Kincraig Point.

Attachments

• P1010668.jpg
    P1010668.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010679.jpg
    P1010679.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010682.jpg
    P1010682.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
High tide best for whimbrel! Twas my report from Ruddons yesterday when it was calm enough to see grebes (though it could still have been better).

Rob

I went up to mains of usan today to see the black redstart,first time I have seen a female,lovely wee bird

Attachments

• blackred_2856.JPG
    blackred_2856.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 97
Doesn't appear to have been seen today. Do I chance it tomorrow? Decisions, decisions. Won't be too long before the Common Redstarts are back (May), Paul.

Last Ditch

Last Sunday (19th) the brents were in the field where the swans feed opposite the Kincaple turning. Worth a check as you are passing.

Rob

Thanks for the tip Rob. :t:

I had a few errands to run yesterday before heading North in the afternoon. One of those errands had me passing through St Andrews via the A91. As I approached Guardbridge, I toyed with the idea of dropping in at the Eden Centre for 5 mins in a last ditch effort to get a good look at the Brents if they were still about. However, calculating that the tide would be fully out, I didn't bother. As I headed on past Guardbridge however, I made a point of looking into the field opposite the Kincaple turning. The regular flock of swans were in residence, but also right in the middle of the swans was a group of small, dark geese. I hauled the car over to the side (not the best place to stop) and pulled the binoculars out. There were the light bellied Brents that had largely evaded me for so long. And fine looking birds they are!

A count revealed twenty Brents. I was so focused on the Brents that it took me a while to realise that the surrounding Swans were not all the expected Mutes. Once I cottoned on to that, I counted nineteen Whoopers.

saw and heard the Siberian chiffchaff at keptie pond Arbroath this afternoon,i was there for the best part of an hour and it looks like there is just the one bird there,the linnet flock which has been wintering on top of Arbroath cliffs doesn't seem to be getting any smaller,i thought they would have all paired up by now

Attachments

• sibG_3111.jpg
    sibG_3111.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 67
  • lina.jpg
    lina.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 82
  • linb.jpg
    linb.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 51
A flock of about 30 Waxwing in Blairgowrie again this morning.

Not seen any since about January..... why couldn't they have come during that lovely sunny weather of the last few days!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back