• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (5 Viewers)

Well that was my first thought too. But I would have thought they'd have said something on the blog by now.

I had business in leven on Thursday ,heading from Dundee there is a dead bird of prey on the grass on the left beside drumoig golf club,the traffic was too busy to stop but it looked like either a red kite female or a harrier,if anyone is in the area at a quitter time maybe they could check it out,while in leven I had a walk about to kill a few hours, I walked a very nice woodland trail called letham glen,all the usual small woodland birds were present and woodpigeons were nest building everywhere,best birds were a pair of grey wagtails which were on show as soon as I walked through the gate

Attachments

• grey wagtail.JPG
    grey wagtail.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 55
  • grey wagtail 2.JPG
    grey wagtail 2.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 65
Two misses in the hills

With an afternoon free, I decided to head for the hills. I was in two minds as I felt it may be a little early for the uplands to be holding much, but as the sun was shining, what could it hurt to try?

I headed up East Lomond and parked up in the car park just past the telecoms station. Just before reaching the car park however, a bird with that distinctive game bird shape flew past like a bullet, and disappeared over the horizon. Grouse I thought, but I hadn't caught any detail or even the coloration, as it had been silhouetted against the sky. Possibly a female pheasant, but a bit high up I'd have thought, however I had to put it down as a miss in regards to my first Fife Grouse.

Walking away from the car park, a couple of things became evident pretty quickly. Firstly, it was blustery. Eye watering-ly blustery. Secondly, there were birds about. I could hear snatches of Skylark, even in the pummelling wind.

I wandered across the heathery slope in the rough direction that the game bird had disappeared in. The only game I found though were a couple of Red Deer. Skylark I did find though, and Meadow Pipit also.

Looping back towards the car park, a large bird flew into view. Buzzard I thought initially, but then realised this bird was black, just before it disappeared over the horizon. My first Fife Raven looked possible, but I needed to get a better look at the bird to confirm it in my own mind. I set off in pursuit, leaving the sheep/Deer trails I'd been following and heading uphill towards the bit of horizon the bird had disappeared over. It was hard going as I was soon thigh deep in heather. Gaining a little altitude, I soon spotted a black bird perched on some scrub. Too distant to make out, I continued to head cross country towards it. It soon spotted me, I think. It took off and glided down the hillside to a fence post some way away across the path that skirts the south of East Lomond Hill. I headed after it again, spotting a Reed Bunting as I went. Reaching the path, I found a Stonechat waiting, but the target bird had moved further away. It had also been joined by a second of its kind.

From the moment that it took off from the scrub, doubts set in that this was the original bird. It did not give the size impression that I had got in the original sighting. I think I'd latched onto the wrong bird, and instead of chasing a possible Raven, I'd ended up pursuing a Carrion Crow. I took a couple of distant photos from the path, so see what you all think. I've settled for Carrion Crow, but I don't believe it was the original bird seen. Not enough evidence or certainty for me to claim a Raven, so miss number two.

I returned to the car. En route, I found more Skylark and Pipit. The hills are starting to become populated again, and hopefully, next time I'm back, I'll be able to pick out Raven and Grouse.

Attachments

• P1010953.jpg
    P1010953.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010957.jpg
    P1010957.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 67
  • P1010966.jpg
    P1010966.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010968.jpg
    P1010968.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 43
Letham Pools - Little Egret

After a session up on East Lomond, I dropped in on Letham Pools before heading home. There at the west end of the large north pool, I found the pictured bird. First time I've seen one at this site. Also found two Shelduck, which are also a first for me at this site.

Attachments

• P1010975.jpg
    P1010975.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010979.jpg
    P1010979.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P1020002.jpg
    P1020002.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 50
  • P1020006.jpg
    P1020006.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 58
  • P1020001.jpg
    P1020001.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 57
A day in Fife - Part One

First full day I've had available for birding, for quite a while, so I decided to make the most of it and hit several sites. First on the list was Letham Pools, however, first bird on the list flew across the road into Mountcastle, as I approached Letham. I don't usually count birds when I'm driving, but as this was my first Jay of the year, I decided to make an exception.

I pulled up between the Letham pools at 07:10 hrs. Despite the heavily overcast skies and cool temperatures, the birds were busy. Before exiting the car, three Reed Bunting popped up onto the hedge next to where I'd parked. Once out of the car, I started scanning the north pool. Coot, Gadwall, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Teal and Mute Swan were very evident. Six Shelduck, an equal number of Shoveler and a couple of Goldeneye were also counted. Black Headed Gull were perched on the fence posts that stand out of the flooded fields. Around the edges of the water, I found a few Redshank, Moorhen and Oystercatcher, along with a group of Lapwing.

Giving my attention to the fields beyond the pool, I located the usual flock of Pink-Footed Geese. Small groups were flying in to swell the P-F G numbers, and by the time I left, there were approaching three hundred.

Along the road, I found a Blackbird singing high in a tree. Below it sat a Woodpigeon.

Turning around to view the south pool, the first bird there to be listed was the Little Egret that has been resident for a week or so. The various duck counts rose here. Sadly, a dead swan was also noted - Possibly predated. Two Little Grebe were also noted on this pool, and two Greylag Geese flew over. Also in the sky I pinpointed a singing Skylark, while a couple of Carrion Crow flew by.

Now turning back to the bigger north pool, further scanning revealed a Snipe and a Grey Heron that had slipped in behind me. Final bird to make the list at this site was a passing Lesser Black-Backed Gull.

Last edited:
i sopped off at letham pools a few weeks ago while in fife,there were a pair of great crested grebes on the pool on the left near the posts where the lesser black backed gulls were sitting,cant recall them being reported here before ,are they usual here ?

A day in Fife - Part Two

Heading off from Letham Pools at 08:25 hrs, my next target was Cameron Reservoir; a site that would be brand new to me. I couldn't help taking a little detour en route however, and stopped off at the Wilderness for ten minutes. It was pretty quiet there, so I soon moved on.

Arriving at Cameron Reservoir at 09:30 hrs, I was greeted by a cheerful male Chaffinch on the track into the car park. Exiting the car, I also found a couple of Tree Sparrow there to welcome me from the garden of the old lodge.

The reservoir itself is about a mile long and shaped roughly as an elongated rectangle stretching east to west. There are low dams at both the east and west ends. The car park is situated at the north east corner of the water.

A dog walker arrived at the same time I did. He set off south with his dogs, across the east dam. I set off west down the track that follows the north shoreline, but is separated from the water by some extensive scrub and stands of conifer. Indeed for most of the way along this track, there are few views of the water, however, there was so much bird activity in the scrub, I really did not mind.

Without even leaving the car park, I made new entries to the list with Robin and Coal Tit. Blackbird was also present. Soon after leaving the car park, I found one of my favourites in a pair of Bullfinch. I could sit and watch Bullfinch all day, but I needed to press on, if for no other reason than to keep warm. Chaffinch were a constant presence all the way around the water, as were Coal Tit. Also present all the way around were Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. Picking them out was made easy by their constant calling. Also picked out in the hedges that divide the farm pastures to the north, I found Dunnock, Blue Tit and Great Tit. In the fields themselves were four Oystercatcher, while overhead there was a constant flow of Carrion Crows and Rooks. There was obviously, from the din, a large rookery in the trees of the south shore.

Even with limited views of the water itself, it became obvious that there was not much on it, if you disregard the large raft of mixed Lesser Black-Backed Gulls and Herring Gulls. Of these there were over one hundred, with the Herring Gulls just shading the numbers. Mallard made up the bulk of the duck presence, along with a few Tufties and a couple of Teal. Mute Swan were also present, as was a single Great Crested Grebe.

Above the water, four Swallow were hard at work, picking off the Chironomids that filled the air despite the gloomy and cool conditions that persisted.

Heading along the track, two Pheasant exploded out of the undergrowth. Woodpigeon and Magpie were spotted in the trees, along with two of the brightest yellow Yellowhammers that I've ever seen.

Reaching the western dam, I turned south to follow the path along the top of it. Down below it sat a marshy area, but nothing new was detected there. At the waters edge on the dam's stones though, I found Meadow Pipit.

Once off the dam, the path now turned east parallel to the south shore of the water, but separated by heavy plantation of conifer. Even more so than the north side, there is very few views of the water along this way. On the other side of the path lay more rough pastures. Here I found more Meadow Pipit and Skylark were also present.

In the thick impenetrable undergrowth between me and the water, I could here birds. Certainly Chaffinch and Chiffchaff, but others who's calls I did not recognise. One of the reasons I had targeted this new site for me, were reports on Bird Track of Redpoll. A bird that consistently gives me the slip. In fact the next one I see will be the first one. With Redpoll in mind, I spent considerable time scanning little clearings where bird noise has at its peak. I found no Redpoll, but did pick out a few Goldfinch and some more Bullfinch.

Passing the Noisy Rookery high up in the conifers, I soon exited the trees and started to cross the top of the east dam, with the car park in sight. Redpoll had defeated me again, but there was a final species to add to my list for this site. Two Grey Wagtail were found at the waters edge on the dam.

This is definitely a site that I will be visiting again in the future. On a day of poor conditions, it really produce - If you don't count Redpoll that is. And I've never been able to count a Redpoll.

there were a pair of great crested grebes on the pool on the left near the posts where the lesser black backed gulls were sitting,cant recall them being reported here before ,are they usual here ?
Today 19:52

They are more usually seen over the fence in Mountcastle Quarry, but they do sometimes pop in. I managed to get a few rather poor photos of them in flight there last year. Not a bird I'd seen in flight before/since.

i sopped off at letham pools a few weeks ago while in fife,there were a pair of great crested grebes on the pool on the left near the posts where the lesser black backed gulls were sitting,cant recall them being reported here before ,are they usual here ?

I've never seen them at Letham before. As Barry indicated in his reply, they are very often next door at Mountcastle and Edensmuir.

I was at Kilconquhar Loch for half an hour last Friday. There were seven GCG right in front of the FBC hide. I never realised they made so many different types of noise. Checked the log book at the hide, and found the previous visitor had counted seventeen.

A day in Fife - Part Three

Leaving Cameron Reservoir, I drove down off the hill into St Andrews, then out along the Guardbridge Road. The plan had been to head straight to Morton Lochs, but hunger had set in, so I picked up a sandwich along the way and diverted in to the Eden Centre to sit and eat it while checking out the birds there.

There were a couple of birders together in the centre. They informed me that things were very quiet out on the mud flats, but that they had seen a Sea Eagle earlier. I kept quiet, as my ability to miss the Sea Eagles stands unparalleled in the world of birding.

Settling down to eat the purchased sandwich, I was soon picking out a few birds that I had not listed on my earlier session. They were Heron, Wren, Dunlin and Buzzard. Chatting with the birding couple, they told me of excellent close views they had recently had of Crossbill at Morton Lochs. They pinpointed the sighting to the stand of conifers that line the track that leads to the railway hide. Crossbill was the very reason I had chosen to go to Morton Lochs, so I chewed faster. I soon bade farewell to my fellow birders, and set off back to the car. In the small park I noted a Pied Wagtail before heading off through Guardbridge in the car.

Arriving at the lochs, I found the car park pretty full. I'd forgotten that it was a bank holiday monday. As I walked slowly down the track towards the Railway Hide, I could see a group of birders ahead of me scanning the trees that line the way in. They were joined by another couple of birders who had arrived just before me. As I passed by the standing group, I greeted them and realised the couple who had just arrived were the couple I'd left at the Eden Centre. Not sure how that happened.

I headed into the Railway Hide for a quick look for the Kingfisher. The hide was packed, and the Kingfisher was absent, so I quickly left. No problem. I was here for the Crossbill anyway.

I made my way back along the track while scanning the trees. The group of birders were still there and seemed focused on one particular tree. As I joined them, I was shown a picture one of them (one of the Eden Centre couple) had taken seconds before of a male Crossbill. I started scanning the trees again. Some of the group moved off in the direction the bird had disappeared in. I followed, but nothing was found. I moved up onto the old railway bridge. From there I had a good view of the trees. I found nothing.

I hung about those trees for an hour and a half, changing viewing point several times, but found no Crossbill. I had missed my opportunity by seconds. That was, and still is sore! The time waiting however, was not a total loss, as I did spot Treecreeper, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush and Great Spotted Woodpecker. I also found a Red Squirrel.

When I left the car park, it was nearly empty. On the way back across Fife I realised something. I had seen over a dozen birders at Morton Lochs, but I couldn't remember seeing any of them with a pair of binoculars. Thinking back, they all seemed to have cameras with big telescopic lenses. Questions I'm now asking myself are; are binoculars on the way out? And am I missing out by not going down the full photographic equipment route? And how much could I spend on camera and lens before the Mrs Goose divorces me?

Passing through Cupar, I decided on a final port of call. I headed back to Letham Pools. The occupants were pretty much as they were when I had left in the morning, except now Sand Martins had arrived and were skimming over the water, and the Pink-Footed Goose flock had swelled to much greater numbers. I scanned them avidly looking for the Greenland White-Fronted Goose that has been reported here intermittently as mixing with this flock of P-F G. I scanned each and every goose that was in sight. The final score was Pink-Footed Geese, one thousand, one hundred and thirty eight. White-Fronted Geese (and Gander), zero.

So no barn-storming finish, but I still thoroughly enjoyed my day out in Fife despite missing a few target birds. Also seen along the way, but not at sites were Jackdaw, Starling and House Sparrow, so that makes fifty nine species, I think. Yes, definitely a good day!

Last edited:
i stopped off at letham pools a few weeks ago while in fife,there were a pair of great crested grebes on the pool on the left near the posts where the lesser black backed gulls were sitting,cant recall them being reported here before ,are they usual here ?

I dropped in at Letham Pools this morning, and your Great Crested Grebes were back. In the South pool this time, by the wooden power poles.

Attachments

• P1020234.jpg
    P1020234.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 55
Morton Lochs - The Rematch

I hung about those trees for an hour and a half, changing viewing point several times, but found no Crossbill. I had missed my opportunity by seconds. That was, and still is sore!

I don't like unfinished business, so this morning, I headed back to Morton Lochs at the crack of dawn. A forty five minute drive found me rolling into the deserted car park at five past six. Opening the car door, I was greeted by a cacophony of bird song.

I have now come to realise that the best way to watch birds is to get out before the dog walkers, joggers, cyclists, kayakers, quad bikers, drone flyers and dare I say it, other bird watchers in some cases. It has taken a while for this realisation to dawn, however, as my old rugby coach might have said, " Son you're not skilful, but you are slow".

Passing under the old railway arch, I edged my way along the track, carefully scanning the trees to my right. In a perfect world my cunning plan would have produced Crossbill instantly. It didn't! Plenty of Robins, Tits, Wren, Blackbird and Willow Warbler, but not a single Crossbill in the target area.

I turned the corner at the bottom of the track and headed into the Railway Hide to have a quick scan for Kingfisher. There was no Kingfisher. Deja Vu was setting in. I sat to have a think, and purposed on a plan of action. My plan was to head outside, set up camp and wait however long it took to find a Crossbill.

I exited the Railway Hide and followed the track to the bend where it headed back towards the railway arch. I can't remember now how it happened, but I became aware of a bird in the top of a tall Spruce directly behind me as I faced the arch. I think I'd caught its movement as it flew over my head. I raised the binoculars, and there was my first Crossbill. A female glowing in the bright early morning sunlight. Without lowering the binoculars, I managed to take my camera out of its case, attach the sun hood, switch it on and point it. I quickly took some record shots, and it was then that I became aware of movement to the right and down a bit from the original bird. More photos taken, and now I had a handsome male. Suddenly a group of birds flew into the tree. Now I had nine Crossbill. They stayed in the area for a minute or two, then left as one over the treetops and out of sight.

I stayed in the area for about an hour or so, but the Crossbills never came back. I had plenty of company though, including Red Squirrels, one of which was the blackest I've ever seen, and I also logged my first Canada Geese of the year.

I have a vague memory of seeing Crossbills many years ago (possibly at Loch Garten), before I was really into birding, but for me this was as good as a lifer, especially as it took so much effort. Now I just need a plan for Redpoll!

Attachments

• P1020191.jpg
    P1020191.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 72
  • P1020192.jpg
    P1020192.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 56
  • P1020195.jpg
    P1020195.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 52
  • P1020197.jpg
    P1020197.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 48
Paul, Redpoll come to the feeders in front of the hide at Balgavies Loch. Unfortunately the hide only comfortably seats 4 and is very popular with photographers after the local Ospreys, but an early start/weekday visit might get you a chance at them. We also get them at Riverside Nature Park quite regularly around this time of year, though it can be rather hit and miss, though knowing the calls can help. Forfar Loch is another site where they show semi-regularly.

Paul, Redpoll come to the feeders in front of the hide at Balgavies Loch. Unfortunately the hide only comfortably seats 4 and is very popular with photographers after the local Ospreys, but an early start/weekday visit might get you a chance at them. We also get them at Riverside Nature Park quite regularly around this time of year, though it can be rather hit and miss, though knowing the calls can help. Forfar Loch is another site where they show semi-regularly.

Thanks Barry. I'll bear that in mind. I've noticed that they are showing up at Vane Farm also. I'm working on the bird calls.

Two lifers before breakfast.

I slipped out for a couple of hours at daybreak before the kids got up and weekend parental duties kicked off. Approaching the Wilderness from Ladybank, I noticed a couple of birds sat in a field, fairly close to the roadside. My initial thought was female pheasants, but there was no tail evident and the colouring looked wrong. I stopped the car, and was able to scan them with the binoculars. I checked the guide I carry in the car, but I was already pretty sure they were Grey Partridge. The guide bore that out and I had my lifer. Not sure that they are scarce, but still good to get.

I was able to pop out of the car and grab a few photos (see attached) without disturbing them. They were still sat there when I pulled off.

Attachments

• P1020288.jpg
    P1020288.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 68
Last April Blast - Part One

For me, today was my last chance to get some birding in before I travel tomorrow to head offshore. As such, I was up early and out the door as the sun started to rise. Plan was to head for Cameron Reservoir, then Eden Centre, then Morton Lochs, then Boarhills, then Fife Ness with the muir, on to Kilconquhar Loch, then across to the Wilderness and finally Letham Pools and Mountcastle.

O.K. So the plan was a bit optimistic.

I headed off for Cameron Reservoir via St Andrews, and was pulling off the road to head up the three quarter of a mile access track at about 06:40 hrs. I must warn you that if you ever visit Cameron Reservoir, that the access track is where Scotland stores all its excess pot holes and developes new pot holes. It is a true axel breaker and needs to be crawled along at not much more than 5 mph.

Exiting the car, I found it was a bit chilly, even though there was only a bit of a breeze. The temperature registered on the car dashboard was 4 deg.C. The sun was shining brightly though, apart from those moments when covered by broken cloud.

First birds on the list were a Robin followed by plenteous Mallard. On this my second visit here, I decided to walk around the water in the opposite direction to last time by heading South along the top of the East Dam, then turning West to follow the south shore.

As I headed across the dam, I noted the two domestic geese near the boat dock. What I failed to notice, until it was too late, was a small wader on the dam that shot off out of sight across the water. The bird had caught me cold in more ways than one, but if I was to guess, I'd say Common Sandpiper. I recorded nothing.

Moving along the dam, I heard a burst of song coming from the lodge garden below the dam. I soon located a bird perched on the highest point of a tall conifer. The binoculars revealed a pipit just before it took to the air and disappeared into the foliage of a nearby tree. I quickly scribbled notes down of the song I had heard, and although I never saw the bird again, it did helpfully repeat the song. Later, at home, I confirmed that it had indeed been a Tree Pipit - Only my second ever.

As I headed further along the top of the dam, I looked back at the tree where I had found the Tree Pipit. There on that same highest twig sat bird. I lifted the binoculars expecting to see the Pipit had returned, but found instead a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Turning along the heavily wooded track at the end of the dam, I soon started picking up on the more common birds in the area. Red Deer moved ahead of me. Slowly I approached a kink in the track that would move me further behind the conifers that hugged the shoreline. Approaching this kink in the way, I stopped for a while to scan the large spruce trees ahead of me. There was movement among the cones and needles. Initially, I thought Goldcrest, but soon realised from the fleeting glimpses I was getting, that this bird was a bit bigger than a Goldcrest.

I stood in the cold shadows below the tree. Last years cones glowed golden in the morning sunlight bathed branches above. This seasons young cones looked like giant red berries from down below. My target bird briefly, and partially revealed itself from its spruce cloak. Surely not! Surely this couldn't be my first ever Redpoll - Bogey bird number one. It was a difficult angle, and I never got to see the actual red poll, but I was sure it was a Redpoll. I kept watching. Suddenly, there was movement from two birds. One of them popped out, and I had a......Chaffinch. My heart sank a little, but I knew the original bird had not been a Chaffinch. I located the second bird, still shrouded in shadow and spruce twigs, but its movement, if not identification, evident. Eventually, patience paid off. The bird popped out and helpfully hung upside down for a few moments. There was the red poll of a confirmed Redpoll.

I stayed in the area for a while, and was further rewarded by a clear sighting of a second Redpoll before I pushed on. As I followed the trail past the rookery and onwards, it became clear that Willow Warbler was going to be the predominant bird of the session. There seemed to be one every stones throw or so.

Crossing the west dam, I wondered why this reservoir seems not to be too popular with water birds. Mute Swan and Mallard seem to be the main stay, but not much else. On this visit only a Moorhen and a pair of Great Crested Grebe were found in addition.

I hurried along the path on the north side, as it was more exposed here to the strengthening breeze. It did not seem to be getting any warmer, despite the rising sun. Reaching the car park, I found it had taken me about two hours to complete the two and a half mile circuit. Rather than head straight off, I decided to walk a ways up the access road, primarily to see if I could find any Bullfinch. I couldn't, but Bullfinch were forgotten when another Redpoll showed up and perched for a while on a high twig above the track. This bird's crown seemed even redder than the ones seen earlier.

I headed back to the car and sat for a while eating a banana. A Red Squirrel scampered past. I contemplated my plan. It was nine thirty and the plan was basically out the window already. I didn't care. I couldn't be hurt now, as I had Redpoll.

I was soon heading back down the pot holed track with the Eden Centre as my next destination.

Attachments

• P1020347.jpg
    P1020347.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Last April Blast - Part Two

At the Eden Centre, I found the mud flats in front of me exposed,I started listing the birds in sight, but it was all pretty subdued until the arrival of a hawk. This arrival led to much consternation among the assembled ranks of Redshank and Dunlin, but things settled down again as soon as the hawk, a Sparrowhawk I think, disappeared in the direction of the old mill buildings.

I decided to change the plan at this point. Most of the birds I could see were away to my left beyond the bend in the river's low water path through the flats. I did not have my scope with me, as I had decided to travel light today. I decided to see if I could find a path along this North shore of the estuary.

I set off on foot from the centre, passing the old mill. I notice that a lot of the derelict buildings have been flattened there. It looks like they are about to build something in its place. Possibly housing. I wonder how that will affect the birds in the area.

Crossing the road bridge, which I think is called Innerbridge, over the burn, I found a footpath that looked promising, as it headed along side the burn towards the estuary. It was signposted "Footpath to Motray". I don't know where Motray is, but I took the path anyway.I was soon walking through some scrubby woodland, past a sewage works. In the trees I found my first Blackcap of the year. The path however seemed to be heading away from the shoreline, so I deviated off it across a grassy area. As I approached the shore, I found a large group of Black-Tailed Godwit in front of me. They were now all flushed with their summer plumage. Rather than disturb them, I retraced my steps.

The path seemed to be heading inland, so I headed back towards the burn. At the burn though I made another little detour. I followed another little path out past the gas installation to where the burn actually empties out into the estuary. There was a convenient screen of Horsetail here that I was able to peek through. From here I added Goldeneye to my growing list. If I kept a mammal list, I'd also have had my third entry from this point, with an Otter joining the Red deer and Red Squirrel seen at Cameron.

Back at the road, I decided on another detour. I knew that somewhere over the brow grassy slope that drops down to Guardbridge was a pond. I wondered if I could find it. I found a track that led roughly in the right direction, and I was soon following it out past planted fields. After a while though it became obvious that the track was going to bypass the area of interest. I returned to the road, and although I found another path between the houses and the fenced off grassy slope, I never found a route into the area. I abandoned the quest (for now) and crossed the busy A91. Heading onto the little footpath that follows the river Eden upstream for a little way, I moved along it until I had a good view along past the bend in the river. The tide was now well in, so there were no flats visible. In the fields beyond the river I did find a sizeable flock of Pink-Footed Geese, but there was little else of interest in the area.

I returned now to the Eden Centre to see if the incoming tide had pushed anything of interest nearer to it. I could not get in. It often takes me several attempts to get the key code device to unlock the door, and I know many others have the same problem. I could feel the push button for number one grinding as pressed. Something wasn't right with it. As I was not aiming to stay long, I gave up on the door after a dozen or so attempts, and set up at the side of the centre. I was just in time to see the hawk zoom in again and cause its usual chaos among the waders.

Scanning across the salt marsh, I could just about see a bird on a post at distance. I knew what it would be,and confirmed latter with photos, that I had my first Osprey of the year.

Hail was starting to fall from the sky. here had been a heavy shower of rain and hail earlier when I was in the centre. I headed back to the car. Next on the agenda was Morton Lochs.

Arriving at the lochs just after one o'clock, I headed towards the Railway Hide. A married couple of other birders had arrived at the same time and were heading in the same direction. They asked me if I knew anything about the Crossbill, as they had travelled from the NE of Scotland to try and see them here. I showed them the trees where the birds had been seen last week, including the big Spruce where I had finally caught up with them. The tree tops were whipping about in the strengthening wind, under a black looking sky. There were no Crossbill present.

We made the hide just as the heavens opened. The rain did not last long however. The gentleman from the couple headed back out to the trees pretty much as soon as the rain stopped. I stayed in the hide for another ten minutes or so, and with no sign of the Kingfishers, I headed out also. I found my fellow birder scanning the trees from exactly the same spot I had seen the Crossbills from during the week. I had a quick chat with the gentleman, and as I did so, I looked up at the big spruce, and there in almost exactly the same spot as my first sighting sat a bird. "There's your Crossbill", I said. The bird soon took off, and two others also emerged from the cover of the spruce. The other birder was happy though as he'd grabbed some photos with his zoom lens camera.

I wandered around the area for a while, adding a few more birds to my list, before I decided to head off. Original plan was never going to happen, so I headed for home, although I did stop off at a few of my regular sites, including Letham Pools. It was at Letham that I found my last list entry for the day; an elegant looking Pochard. I also manage to grab a few record shots of a close in Black-Tailed Godwit.

Final tally for the day was sixty eight bird species. That has me wondering if I could possibly get a Fife 100 in one day. Would be an interesting challenge for one of the long days of summer maybe. And the route would probably look something like my original plan.

Attachments

• P1020393.jpg
    P1020393.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 48
  • P1020395.jpg
    P1020395.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 42
  • P1020396.jpg
    P1020396.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
couple of crappy record shots of a great skua which was getting blown about as it passed close in at arbroath cliffs

Attachments

• sk.jpg
    sk.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 90
  • sk2.jpg
    sk2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back