• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns - Northern sea (1 Viewer)

Nikolai Kolev

I have some blury pictures of terns for identifiction, which i made before few days(7-8.05.2023). The pictures a made from the ship between Cuxhaven and Helgoland island(Germany). I am wondering, if all of them a common terns, or arctic/roseate with which i don't have experience. Also on the last picture, are they whiskered terns? I received a comment on observation.org, that this species is rare in the area.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Clipboard045.jpg
    Clipboard045.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Clipboard054.jpg
    Clipboard054.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 60
Hello Nikolai,
do you have more pictures?

001: is a Common Tern, I think a single picture is enough for confident ID.
002:: there is at least one Common Tern. I am not so sure about the left bird: it might be a Common Tern, the third bird from left might be an Arctic Tern by extravagant long tailed jizz and shape, the right bird might be an Arctic too (??? More pictures please)
003: difficult bird for me. This seems one example imo, where motion blurre might well shift shape towards Arctic, with a slender, full breasted body and exagerrating the long tail. But if more pictures confirm, that the secondaries are darkish, then its a Common Tern imo.
004 Common Tern: ??? More pictures please!
005: More pictures, please! I see birds that look good for Black and Whiskered Tern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back